07-11-09, 01:05 AM   #1
Riddrick
A Cliff Giant

Cool Hacker Alert

I haven't try it, but if it works i guess people have good use for it.
There been some people how had been hacked,
and if the one how hacket your account probebly
going to get the guild bank to !!!

If the guild Bank get robbed who will you blame.

A Hacker alert

PrivateEye
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...ject-6487.aspx
RUN when you see me becuse
iīam going to be soooo loaded!!!
If you donīt knock on the doors,
donīt expect a good welcome!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya2KR4VQwu4
Now the real killing begins!!

Warsong
07-11-09, 07:03 AM   #2
klamb213
Banned

What are you talking about?
The addon you linked to hasn't been updated for a year now.
And I'm not sure if you think its a "hacker" or if you are suggesting we get it due to hackers?
07-11-09, 07:05 AM   #3
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
That's what I thought last night, too (I misread it). The op is saying it might prevent hacking.

There's no telling unless you've tried it, but it may not need an update.
07-11-09, 07:14 AM   #4
klamb213
Banned

The best way to prevent hacking is knowing what your doing while on-line.
Get a good internet security program, use firefox, and stay away from questionable sites.
07-11-09, 07:35 AM   #5
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

The purpose of the mod linked at first post is not to prevent hacking of "your" account.

It's a means for a group of accounts to verify each other and be alerted if one of them is compromised next time the hacker logs on.

If a character is logged on from a PC other than the legitimate owner's with the addon installed (like would be typical in case of a keylogged account being used from a computer other than the owner's)
the rest of the group will get a notification that "so and so didn't respond to Private Eye communication so might be under control of hacker"
(or something to that effect).
07-11-09, 09:58 AM   #6
Riddrick
A Cliff Giant

Cool

Originally Posted by Dridzt View Post
The purpose of the mod linked at first post is not to prevent hacking of "your" account.

It's a means for a group of accounts to verify each other and be alerted if one of them is compromised next time the hacker logs on.

If a character is logged on from a PC other than the legitimate owner's with the addon installed (like would be typical in case of a keylogged account being used from a computer other than the owner's)
the rest of the group will get a notification that "so and so didn't respond to Private Eye communication so might be under control of hacker"
(or something to that effect).
Thanks for the Air Dridzt
RUN when you see me becuse
iīam going to be soooo loaded!!!
If you donīt knock on the doors,
donīt expect a good welcome!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya2KR4VQwu4
Now the real killing begins!!

Warsong
07-11-09, 12:18 PM   #7
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

That's actually a pretty groovy little mod you have there. The op is definitely showing this mod as a form of account security. It may not prevent you from getting hacked, but I think it's an amazing way to recover a hacked account.

KLamb213 makes an amazing point about keeping yourself safe, but to be fair, I'm your average twenty-something guy, and I exhibit average twenty-something guy behavior on the net. This means I do have a habit of visiting less than reputable sites. What's more, I use Internet Explorer to do it, and I don't have any internet security or clean up programs. Strange thing, though: my computer's security hasn't been compromised in the last 5 years. With all of IE's most recent updates and all the things Microsoft has built into their browser now, it's just as secure a browser as Firefox, Opera, Chrome, or any other browser you want to throw out there. I've also learned how to keep my browsing behavior in check so that I know when there are security issues on any site.

Here's what I do:
  • If I see a site that looks fishy, I just choose not to go there. There are plenty of sites available on the net that can do whatever I want them to do at any given moment that I don't have to visit just one to get it done.
  • If Internet Explorer gives me a warning box, I read the thing! If I'm not sure what it means, I Google the message so I can learn what it means.
  • If I'm doing something on a less-than-reputable site, and they want me to fill out any information, I leave the site and go somewhere else. There are plenty of places for me to go that don't require me to fill in any security-breaching blanks.
  • If you find that your computer is running slowly and you have Windows, open your Task Manager, and see what processes are running. If you don't know what a process is, go Google it. That's a really good way to find out what processes should be running and which ones shouldn't be running, and you don't have to have a piece of bad third party software bogging down your system to do it. That's how you spot viruses the right way. (Bear in mind, however, that if you follow the tips I'm giving you, that won't be necessary.) It's also a good way to spot keyloggers.
  • Keep up on your Windows updates. They aren't a Microsoft conspiracy to rule the world. They're there to fix exploits.
  • Don't download pirated software. If you need a program that badly, go buy it. If you can't get it for free, you probably don't need it that badly in the first place. Pirated software off the web is a big, blazing security exploit. It's a good way to get keyloggers.
  • Don't download free virus security software off the web. They all come with their own "acceptable" spyware and security exploits. If it's free to you, someone's paying for it. Who do you think that is? I've heard rumors that some come with keyloggers. (I don't know how true that is, but I wouldn't be shocked by it.)
  • Check the url's of all the sites you regularly visit. All legitimate MySpace url's begin with myspace.com, all legitimate WoW url's begin with worldofwarcraft.com, and all legitimate Blizzard url's begin with blizzard.com. Anyone who has ever had an account stolen (without the use of a keylogger) gave their password to someone without meaning to, and they did it by visiting a bad site that tricked them into giving away their information. They just didn't know it because they weren't paying attention.
I may amend these tips as I think of more, but those are all the major points. Everyone I've ever encountered in real life who has security breaches in their system has violated at least one of those bullets in any combination. Choose to debate me, but since I adopted all those practices five years ago, I haven't had a single problem. If you like my results, do what I do.

Last edited by Cairenn : 07-11-09 at 08:45 PM.
07-11-09, 02:56 PM   #8
jadakren
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by us2006027321 View Post
With all of IE's most recent updates and all the things Microsoft has built into their browser now, it's just as secure a browser as Firefox, Opera, Chrome, or any other browser you want to throw out there.
sweet back to being an apathetic consumeristic nihilist.

WOOT!!!!
07-14-09, 04:18 AM   #9
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

[*]If I see a site that looks fishy, I just choose not to go there. There are plenty of sites available on the net that can do whatever I want them to do at any given moment that I don't have to visit just one to get it done.
Epic post Nate the US funny numbers man.

Would just like to add here 2 tools I regularly use to check if a site's on the up and up :

* domaintools.com .. check the whois record and see who has it registered.
* Firefox's Get info window security tab.

_Any_ site that asks me for my Blizzard user name and password I check throughly to make sure (a) It's run by Blizzard (b) It has a security certificate signed by Blizzard Enterntainment.

I find out the Blizzard uses Premium Security Licenses from Thawte Consulting CC. On investigation those things aren't cheap - they run up to $3000 for a 5 year license. Or $699 for a 1 year license. Not the type of man a hackers going to be able to afford !

https://www.thawte.com/process/retai...oductType=ssl3
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
07-14-09, 04:23 AM   #10
Slakah
A Molten Giant

With all of IE's most recent updates and all the things Microsoft has built into their browser now, it's just as secure a browser as Firefox, Opera, Chrome, or any other browser you want to throw out there.
Lets not look at the track record shall we?
07-14-09, 08:04 AM   #11
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Here's what I do:
Don't download free virus security software off the web. They all come with their own "acceptable" spyware and security exploits. If it's free to you, someone's paying for it. Who do you think that is? I've heard rumors that some come with keyloggers. (I don't know how true that is, but I wouldn't be shocked by it.)
That mod does sound useful indeed and in reply to the above quote. I personally use AVG Free and only download from AVGs personal site. They have a paid version but on top of my other payments per month/year and the fact they have been around for years without a bad word ( that I have seen anyway ). Please note though that in the years of using this free software I haven't had any suspicious hacker like problems.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818
07-14-09, 10:52 AM   #12
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

KLamb213 makes an amazing point about keeping yourself safe, but to be fair, I'm your average twenty-something guy, and I exhibit average twenty-something guy behavior on the net. This means I do have a habit of visiting less than reputable sites. What's more, I use Internet Explorer to do it, and I don't have any internet security or clean up programs. Strange thing, though: my computer's security hasn't been compromised in the last 5 years.
As long as everyone is having fun with your post, I just wanted to through my 2c in.

You haven't been compromised that you know of. Most viruses(viri?), keyloggers, etc, aren't exactly advertising they are they are there. Keeping a program from showing up in windows task manager is actually pretty trivial. More complex (but still possible) is keeping it's files from showing up in the file system.

That doesn't mean these aren't good tips, or that you have necessarily been hacked, just that it's not an end-all solution.
07-14-09, 11:16 AM   #13
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
As long as everyone is having fun with your post, I just wanted to through my 2c in.

You haven't been compromised that you know of. Most viruses(viri?), keyloggers, etc, aren't exactly advertising they are they are there. Keeping a program from showing up in windows task manager is actually pretty trivial. More complex (but still possible) is keeping it's files from showing up in the file system.

That doesn't mean these aren't good tips, or that you have necessarily been hacked, just that it's not an end-all solution.

This is a great point, and one reason that once a month I will uninstall my regular virus scanner, install another one and update it and run a deep scan. I'll do this with several scanners, and even do the same thing with malware scanners.

I've too much cash invested in this machine and it also serves as a work computer, so I'm pretty anal about keeping it clean and safe.
07-14-09, 08:08 PM   #14
Gako
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
This is a great point, and one reason that once a month I will uninstall my regular virus scanner, install another one and update it and run a deep scan. I'll do this with several scanners, and even do the same thing with malware scanners.

I've too much cash invested in this machine and it also serves as a work computer, so I'm pretty anal about keeping it clean and safe.
You could just buy a mac
07-14-09, 08:14 PM   #15
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Originally Posted by Gako View Post
You could just buy a mac
Macs are not immune to viruses. lol

They are just a less likely target.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
07-14-09, 08:15 PM   #16
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
Insofar as viruses are concerned, my computer hasn't behaved any different from when I first installed this copy of Windows, and insofar as keyloggers go, I know how to spot that sort of thing, and there is indeed more to it than the tips I have posted. However, when I give anyone those tips and the exact all of them without exception in their computer usage habits, they don't have issues anymore.
You could just buy a mac
I think that's going to be my next system upgrade. I can get a refurb Mac Mini for really cheap, and it's going to have better system spec's than the box I'm running now. I just can't stand MacOS. If they made MacOS running as smoothly and with as many keyboard shortcuts as Windows does and has, I'd be sold.

07-14-09, 08:18 PM   #17
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

The view that Macs cannot get viruses is completely false. Macs CAN get a virus just as easily as a pc can, BUT virus developers have up until recently focused exclusively on pc viruses because thats what most people had. With Macs becoming more and more popular, soon you will begin seeing viruses popping up for people who use macs. What makes it worse is that virus protection is sub-par for the mac because noone thought they would need any and devs focused almost exclusively on the pc side.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
07-14-09, 08:28 PM   #18
Akryn
A Firelord
...my computer's security hasn't been compromised in the last 5 years. With all of IE's most recent updates and all the things Microsoft has built into their browser now, it's just as secure a browser as Firefox, Opera, Chrome, or any other browser you want to throw out there.
I agree. My 5 year old installation of IE6 on Win XP SP1 still works flawlessly and has no security holes whatsoever.
07-14-09, 09:49 PM   #19
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You could just buy a mac

Nah. Mac's are nice, but not that nice.

Originally Posted by Akryn View Post
I agree. My 5 year old installation of IE6 on Win XP SP1 still works flawlessly and has no security holes whatsoever.
07-14-09, 11:46 PM   #20
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
The view that Macs cannot get viruses is completely false. Macs CAN get a virus just as easily as a pc can, BUT virus developers have up until recently focused exclusively on pc viruses because thats what most people had.
I would think that the bragging rights of having the first confirmed Virus for OS X is more then enough incentive for someone to figure out how to make one work for OS X. In this instant I define virus as "self replicating software in the wild that can install it self without the knowledge of the computer user to cause wide spread harm"

With Macs becoming more and more popular, soon you will begin seeing viruses popping up for people who use macs.
Someone seems to trot this little gem out everytime we talk about Macs and Viruses.

I'm a Mac Head myself and I can tell you the real reason why you don't see viruses for Mac. It's really not worth it. I don't deny that it's possible but when you have a larger target that takes less time to break into where would you break into ?

There's more vulnerabilities for Windows then there is for OS X. On the Mac to install any system software you need to enter an admin user name and password. I've not seen 1 attack vector yet that can get past that. I've not seen any news about Mail.app being comprimised in such a way that it can get email address's out of Mail.app's address book. I see news about Linux viruses but none of OS X.

So people keep making the "if only macs had more market share they would have more viruses". Well according to some figure I found on the net it's gone up 4% over the last 2 years. Still to see a confirmed virus for the Mac OS X Platform.

What makes it worse is that virus protection is sub-par for the mac because noone thought they would need any and devs focused almost exclusively on the pc side.
There is virus protection for the Mac but it's mostly focusing on stop a Mac OS X install from spreading PC Viruses (that's on OS X Server I believe).

Every Intel Mac can also run Windows whether through Boot Camp or Parallels or some other means. So of course if you own a Mac that has a Windows install on it somewhere either in a partition or on a virtual machine yes you will need virus software for your windows side.

In fact the only hint of a virus the Mac has had was really a trojan.

You would go to a (****) site that would tell you it needed to update your Quicktime. You would download a package that looked reasonably legit to the less informed user. A dialog would come up saying it needs your admin username and password. User would enter it in and the whole machine will restart.

You would think that when given an admin username and password it would do something malicious right ? Wrong - all it does is change the users DNS and IP settings . Something that can be changed back without much trouble. Now as threats go that's pretty much a rabid toothless rabbit !

The above was not a virus - it was a trojan in that it was not self replicating. Of all the damage it could do (rm -r / for example) it only does something that can be easily fixed.

No the fix for it would not be in bringing virus protection software to the mac but to make sure the casual user is educated on how software is installed for the Mac and to only install system software via Software Update. The fix for the above trojan can be quickly found within a few minutes on Google.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Hacker Alert