03-24-09, 01:51 PM   #1
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

NinjaPanel and LDB

Years ago I used Titan Panel. I discovered Fubar later on, and liked it better. I haven't really needed any kind of panel, but I decided to look into fubar again. I came across NinjaPanel and LDB. I guess I don't fully understand what each addon does. LDB is the base for the LDB plugins, but you need a display addon like NinjaPanel, correct?

I guess I got a little confused when people said you can use Fubar for LDB when I thought Fubar was its own addon with its own plugins.

I know this is more of a LDB question in general, but I couldn't find a forum for LDB and I was interested in NinjaPanel anyway.
03-24-09, 02:53 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
If you wish to display LDB plugins on FuBar (as FuBar does not have LDB support as of yet) you need a "translator" addon. This extra addon is called Broker2FuBar. Inversely, if you wish to display FuBar made plugins in and LDB display, you can use FuBar2Broker. Both of these are available at Curse.

Alternately, Titan Panel does have LDB support natively.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

03-25-09, 10:08 AM   #3
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Alright, thanks for replying.
04-02-09, 04:02 PM   #4
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I had a new question, and didn't think it would be necessary to make a new thread.

What uses less resources?
NinjaPanel w/ Fubar2Broker
vs
Fubar w/ Broker2Fubar
04-02-09, 04:03 PM   #5
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
No idea, you'd be able to tell US =)
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."
04-10-09, 05:27 PM   #6
Republic
Paladin

Off the wall question - Ninja Panel

I approach in respect as I ask this question. Let me start by saying that I believe Clique is the best AddOn I have encountered in almost 4 years in the game. I've stated a few times over in this forum and others that you do great work and your mods are always tops in quality. Do not be offended by this question...

With the negative application of the word "ninja" in Warcraft, why would you have chosen such a name for your AddOn?

Here's how this name impacted me, as a site supporter and user...

I have been using Titan Panel since the Ace Updater vaporized and Fubar addon tracking became such a damned mess to stay on top of. In any event, I had seen something called "Ninja Panel" in passing a few times, as I visited this site to read forums, check for updates, etc. I thought to myself it was something relating to ninjas (as they are thought of in the game). I mean, I thought it was some sort of loot mod or something like that. Thus, I ignored it and didnt really look into it further. I never really read anything associated with Ninja Panel, I just skipped past it and didn't even know it was a panel mod (even though it was in the name and it provides functions similar to Fubar, Titan).

In any event, for whatever reason, the other day I was reading a thread where this Ninja Panel was grouped along with the other panel mods during a discussion where someone was recommending them to another reader. At this point, I was shocked to see Ninja Panel was exactly what it said it was, a PANEL mod. Upon going to the detailed AddOn page, I was really shocked to see it was developed by Cladhaire, one of my very favorite authors. Needless to say, I have downloaded it and will be starting to use it.

The point to this rambling...I skipped over the mod because of its name. It wasn't until I was "forced" to read more about it that I learned it was something very desireable to me from one of my favorite authors. This is why I'm asking about its name. It seems like a name that might make people overlook it as a very nice mod from a very professional author. Thus, I'm just providing a little feedback here about my experience(s) as I have come upon Ninja Panel.

I hope more people ignore the negative meaning with the title and become aware it's a great mod by an even greater author.

Thanks for reading my ramble!

Carry on!
04-11-09, 01:47 AM   #7
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Republic View Post
I approach in respect as I ask this question. Let me start by saying that I believe Clique is the best AddOn I have encountered in almost 4 years in the game. I've stated a few times over in this forum and others that you do great work and your mods are always tops in quality. Do not be offended by this question...

With the negative application of the word "ninja" in Warcraft, why would you have chosen such a name for your AddOn?
To be frank, because its the best I came up with at the time. I wrote NinjaPanel one evening, so that I had a place to stash my LDB plugins that didn't require all of the plumbing that Titan and FuBar provide. I think they are great addons for what they try to do, however they both do way too much for me. All of the other LDB displays weren't as simple and had way too much going on. I wanted a simple top panel that displayed the information i wanted to see, simple as that =)

Here's how this name impacted me, as a site supporter and user...

I have been using Titan Panel since the Ace Updater vaporized and Fubar addon tracking became such a damned mess to stay on top of. In any event, I had seen something called "Ninja Panel" in passing a few times, as I visited this site to read forums, check for updates, etc. I thought to myself it was something relating to ninjas (as they are thought of in the game). I mean, I thought it was some sort of loot mod or something like that. Thus, I ignored it and didnt really look into it further. I never really read anything associated with Ninja Panel, I just skipped past it and didn't even know it was a panel mod (even though it was in the name and it provides functions similar to Fubar, Titan).

In any event, for whatever reason, the other day I was reading a thread where this Ninja Panel was grouped along with the other panel mods during a discussion where someone was recommending them to another reader. At this point, I was shocked to see Ninja Panel was exactly what it said it was, a PANEL mod. Upon going to the detailed AddOn page, I was really shocked to see it was developed by Cladhaire, one of my very favorite authors. Needless to say, I have downloaded it and will be starting to use it.

The point to this rambling...I skipped over the mod because of its name. It wasn't until I was "forced" to read more about it that I learned it was something very desireable to me from one of my favorite authors. This is why I'm asking about its name. It seems like a name that might make people overlook it as a very nice mod from a very professional author. Thus, I'm just providing a little feedback here about my experience(s) as I have come upon Ninja Panel.

I hope more people ignore the negative meaning with the title and become aware it's a great mod by an even greater author.

Thanks for reading my ramble!

Carry on!
Well for me, I write addons that I think are useful and then use them. If an addon is generalized and useful enough for other people to enjoy it as well, then I release it. I'm not a big fan of marketing addons, because I really don't care how many users I have or how much people enjoy my work. I'm always surprised finding out that someone enjoys my addons, and that makes me feel better! Certainly if I was going for number of users, I'd be posting on other sites as well and making sure to pimp out my addon on the forums (or ensure my users do).

I've got enough users as it is, and I try desperately to support them and give them what they want. In the future when I have more time to commit to support and development, my thoughts may change on the matter but I doubt it.
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Cladhaire's Mods » NinjaPanel and LDB