02-28-10, 07:42 PM   #1
mystaken1
A Murloc Raider
Angry CrbZ...

told this is name of carbonite chat channel...I recently uninstalled Carbonite as I was getting interface problems with other addons...so why are carbonite chat channels still opening?? Still having problems with quest log updating that started when I 1st installed Caronite as well....Would really appreciate being told what files to search for that are causing this so I can get rid of the problem...Thanks.

03-31-10, 01:24 PM   #2
mystaken1
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by mystaken1 View Post
told this is name of carbonite chat channel...I recently uninstalled Carbonite as I was getting interface problems with other addons...so why are carbonite chat channels still opening?? Still having problems with quest log updating that started when I 1st installed Caronite as well....Would really appreciate being told what files to search for that are causing this so I can get rid of the problem...Thanks.
hmmm...lots of views but not only no replys from authors, not even an email, thanks ever so much for making my WoW game play an adventure in the annoying...

03-31-10, 05:03 PM   #3
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

How did you uninstall Carb? Have you tried manually leaving the channels?

05-11-10, 09:39 AM   #4
mystaken1
A Murloc Raider
not only uninstalled...now have new computer that has never had carbonite installed, and manually leaving a channel that shouldn't be there because it reopens each and every time u cross zones is not fun.

05-15-10, 04:02 AM   #5
Zasurus
A Cyclonian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Exclamation

How did you uninstall Carbonite?

To ensure it is gone goto your wow\interface\addons directory and search down for any folders starting in "Carbonite" I think there are 4:

Carbonite
CarboniteItems
CarboniteNodes
CarboniteTransfer

- Delete all 4 of these.
- Then exit and reload wow.
- Now manually LEAVE (not just close) all of the chat rooms you don't want
- See if they reapear.

IF they do then can you please list the names of the chat rooms here?

Regards,

Zas

05-18-10, 02:54 PM   #6
Unbelievable
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

To find out which channel are active type /chatinfo.

You should then get a list of chat channels with a number to the left of each channel.

Type /leave <number> (e.g. /leave 6) for the two carbonite channels, where <number> is the corresponding number of the channel you wish to.. er.. leave.

09-03-10, 12:21 PM   #7
Cloudspel
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by Zasurus View Post
How did you uninstall Carbonite?

To ensure it is gone goto your wow\interface\addons directory and search down for any folders starting in "Carbonite" I think there are 4:

Carbonite
CarboniteItems
CarboniteNodes
CarboniteTransfer

- Delete all 4 of these.
- Then exit and reload wow.
- Now manually LEAVE (not just close) all of the chat rooms you don't want
- See if they reapear.

IF they do then can you please list the names of the chat rooms here?

Regards,

Zas
I used the 'unistall', then used remove program uninstall, then searched for 'carbonite*' and deleted all files found, then deleted WoW game and redownloaded from scratch, then deleted wow interface, cache and WTF files.
CrbZ###### continued to open during game play
I then had to replace my PC and installed WoW into new system.....still CrbZ###### continues to open. this tells me that Carbonites custom chat channel opener was somehow integrated someplace else???

09-03-10, 12:28 PM   #8
Cloudspel
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by Unbelievable View Post
To find out which channel are active type /chatinfo.

You should then get a list of chat channels with a number to the left of each channel.

Type /leave <number> (e.g. /leave 6) for the two carbonite channels, where <number> is the corresponding number of the channel you wish to.. er.. leave.
I have used both /leave # and right clicked on the chat name (CrbZ######) numorous times to no effect. (###### being the numbers that chane from zone to zone when this annoying chat opens).
Why is this program even affecting my game when I have never installed it on a new computer in the 1st place and why does it contain the annoying 'clicking' sound? I could live with it if it wasn't for this noise.

09-03-10, 12:34 PM   #9
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Carbonite automatically joins and leaves channels as you go about your adventures, yes, but it is important to note that which characters you've joined is remembered by the game. So if you once ran Carbonite, you're very likely to still have Carbonite channels running because the game keeps reconnecting to them each time you log in. Note that this is a server side setting, meaning you can't "fix" it by reinstalling / renaming / moving around files and folders.

09-08-10, 07:34 AM   #10
mystaken1
A Murloc Raider
???

so is what you are telling me is that this is an internal problem at Blizzards level? and that you are taking no responsibility for programming that 'infects' peoples gameplay, are passing the buck and will do nothing to alleviate this problem? Because if I have to put up with Carbonite's 'infection' I will be extremely po'd. Cause what I'm hearing is that there is no solution for COMPLETELY removing your program from my game???

so, have now been told WHAT it is, waiting on a HOW TO REMEDY....

Last edited by mystaken1 : 09-08-10 at 07:36 AM.

09-08-10, 08:35 AM   #11
Jigain
A Molten Giant

I feel like I should point a few things out...

Carbonite is not a program. Carbonite is an addon. To put things as simple as possible, while still remaining accurate, Carbonite is a small piece of code that is executed by Blizzard Entertainment's world-spread game World of Warcraft. Carbonite doesn't run anything, doesn't install anything, doesn't communicate with anything outside World of Warcraft.

I am not a developer of Carbonite. I am a user of Carbonite, just like yourself, who in addition dedicates free time to helping other users of Carbonite solve problems and questions that are within my knowledge. I don't know everything about World of Warcraft, Carbonite, or algebrah for that matter. The same thing goes (maybe except for algebrah) for the others who have replied in your thread - Vis, Zasurus, and Cloudspel are also users of Carbonite. And I think I speak for us all when I say that indeed, we as users of Carbonite, just like yourself, do not take responsibility for how Carbonite affects your play style.

As for how to solve your problem, as far as I know (being a user of Carbonite, just like you), it should be just a matter of leaving those channels manually while Carbonite isn't loaded.

You can deactivate Carbonite by unchecking all the Carbonite addons in the Addons window on your character selection screen. You can uninstall Carbonite by deleting all Carbonite folders from your Interface\AddOns folder. And if you're really paranoid, you can remove any trace Carbonite ever existed on your computer if you do a search on your computer for "Carbonite*" and delete everything that pops up.

09-08-10, 10:41 PM   #12
Phanx
Cat.

so is what you are telling me is that this is an internal problem at Blizzards level?
The chat channels Carbonite causes you to join are just like any other chat channels in the game, including General, Trade, LocalDefense, WorldDefense, LookingForGroup, GuildRecruitment, and any custom channels you've created for your guild, your raid, or your friends. It doesn't matter whether you joined the channel yourself, or an addon joined the channel for you.

Once you join a channel, the server keeps track of the fact that you're in that channel, the same way the server keeps track of the fact that you're in the Trade channel, and the same way the server keeps track of which ability you put on your first action button, and numerous other things.

Something the server does not keep track of is how you joined a channel. It doesn't know whether you typed "/join ThisChannel" or whether an addon joined the channel for you. It doesn't even know whether an addon is, or was, making that channel invisible to you. All it knows is that you are in the channel.

When you uninstall an addon, the server has no way to know whether that addon was responsible for you being in a chat channel, so you remain in that channel until you leave it. Since you no longer have the addon that managed the channel, the only way to leave it is to do so manually. There are two ways to leave a chat channel:

1. Type "/leave blah", where blah is the name of the channel. If the channel name is "CrbZ", typing "/leave CrbZ" will cause you to leave the channel.

2. Open your Social window. It's the one with the Friends and Guild tab, among others. One of the tabs at the bottom is labeled "Chat". Click on it. Now you'll see a list of channels you're currently in. Right-click on any one of them, and select "Leave" in the popup menu that appears. This will cause you to leave that channel.

Both of these methods inform the server that you're leaving in a channel, and the server will remember that you're no longer in that channel, just as it previosly remembered that you were in that channel.

09-13-10, 12:29 PM   #13
mystaken1
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
There are two ways to leave a chat channel:

1. Type "/leave blah", where blah is the name of the channel. If the channel name is "CrbZ", typing "/leave CrbZ" will cause you to leave the channel.

2. Open your Social window. It's the one with the Friends and Guild tab, among others. One of the tabs at the bottom is labeled "Chat". Click on it. Now you'll see a list of channels you're currently in. Right-click on any one of them, and select "Leave" in the popup menu that appears. This will cause you to leave that channel.

Both of these methods inform the server that you're leaving in a channel, and the server will remember that you're no longer in that channel, just as it previosly remembered that you were in that channel.
Ha Ha Ha....if I counted the # of times I have done that....just to have it reopen 2 seconds later without my having 'joined' it. I have even gone so far as to create a MACRO "/leave5, /leave 6" to make that easier.
SO...why can't you just cut the bull and tell my what files to remove and where they are so we can stop being a thorn in each others rear?

And since I keep getting told to 'remove' let me be clear....Carbonite WAS NEVER INSTALLED ON THIS PC, IT WAS UNINSTALLED AND 'SEARCH' DELETED AND THE PREVIOUS PC, therefore Carbonites chat opener is embedded somewhere else that I cannot find which is the reason for all this in the 1st place....I WANT IT TOTALLY GONE!!!!!

Last edited by mystaken1 : 09-13-10 at 12:35 PM.

09-13-10, 02:40 PM   #14
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Addons run in a sandbox. They only work in the addons folder. They CANNOT run anywhere but from in there. Wow does not allow any outside apps to effect the client in this manner.

If anyone posting so far in this thread knew of any other files that would cause this they would have said so. The only other thing that comes to mind is a chat addon is causing it.

As a test try renaming your WTF and Interface folders. WTF.old or something similar. Log in. There should be no addons button on the bottom corner at character select. If that is the case pick a toon and log in. Once in see if the channels are there. Leave them if they exist (not sure if custom channels are stored server side) Log out all the way then back in to the game and see if they still exist.

Renaming these folders will temporarily remove all addons and their settings (as well as standard game settings) from wow. Everything will be factory default.

Post back with your findings.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

09-13-10, 02:41 PM   #15
Nobgul
A Molten Giant

Ha Ha Ha....if I counted the # of times I have done that....just to have it reopen 2 seconds later without my having 'joined' it. I have even gone so far as to create a MACRO "/leave5, /leave 6" to make that easier.
SO...why can't you just cut the bull and tell my what files to remove and where they are so we can stop being a thorn in each others rear?

And since I keep getting told to 'remove' let me be clear....Carbonite WAS NEVER INSTALLED ON THIS PC, IT WAS UNINSTALLED AND 'SEARCH' DELETED AND THE PREVIOUS PC, therefore Carbonites chat opener is embedded somewhere else that I cannot find which is the reason for all this in the 1st place....I WANT IT TOTALLY GONE!!!!!

@ MidgetMage55,
The Op said he had to get a new computer because of the trouble he was having with the addon.

Addon 1 makes you join Channel a1 When you enter "Dalarn". When you exit Dalarn and enter Crystalsong Forest it makes you join a2.
With the addon off and in dalarn if you type /leave a1
If you still have the addon off and leave then reenter dalarn and it rejoins the chat channel then
A. You have another addon that is doing it.
b. Something is screwey server side.
c. You are not playing on a Official Blizzard server.

Lets say if it is A that is causing the issue. Turn off all your addons and then leave the channel. Exit the zone and then reenter. If you rejoin the channel then it is server side. Make a ticket and yell at a gm not the people tying to help you here.

Now if C. is the cause of the problem then well you loose.

As far as your conduct on the forum here. We are a user supported forum. Yelling and getting rude with us will not help you in any way. Although i know it can be frustrating you will learn in life " Obviously the OP is only about 8 years old" that you will get more accomplished if you are nice to people.

Last edited by Nobgul : 09-13-10 at 02:53 PM.

09-13-10, 06:23 PM   #16
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Well stated nobgul. I personally was preparing a full broadside, but you did a much better (and much more tactful) job than I would've.

As for the OP, in no way should you EVER feel you have the right to scream at the people here who are trying to help you. There is no big "Carbonite conspiracy" designed to keep you from knowing how to fix your problem. The people who have posted hopefully helpful information are NOT the Carb devs. They are friendly guys and girls who happen to know a LOT about Carbonite. The Carbonite devs themselves rarely have time to track down every little problem their users have and most of us don't expect them to.

In closing let me say that ranting in the WoWI forums won't get you anything but ignored.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

09-13-10, 09:05 PM   #17
Phanx
Cat.

Delete the entire contents of the C:\ drive. This will fix your problem.

Seriously, why bother even asking for help if you're just going to insult the people who are trying to help you, call them liars, and insist that everything they're telling you is wrong? You clearly know nothing about how addons and the WoW server/client relationship work, since you cannot solve this problem yourself and are trying to blame everyone and everything but yourself.

For the record, I don't use Carbonite. I have never used Carbonite. I don't even like Carbonite.

However, it is simply not possible for an addon you're not running to cause you to join a channel. Log in with no addons enabled. Leave the channel. Log out. Log back in, again without any addons. If you're in the channel again, then there is most likely something wrong with your WoW client. Run the Repair.exe tool in the WoW program folder, and/or delete the WoW client settings in your WTF folder. Log back in, again without addons, leave the channel if you're in it, and log out. Log back in, still without addons. If you're in the channel again, then either you did not actually and correctly delete the relevant files, or there is something wrong with your hard drive.

In any case, if Carbonite is not installed and enabled, then the fact that you are in any chat channel has nothing to do with it or any other addon. At that point it's all standard WoW channel handling.

If you still think I'm lying to you, feel free to contact Blizzard and ask them to verify everything I've told you. If they bother to respond to you at all, they will tell you that I am correct.

I'm unsubscribing from this thread now, as you're obviously not really interested in getting help, and just want to cry about an addon you couldn't figure out how to use correctly and insult people.

Last edited by Phanx : 09-13-10 at 09:09 PM.

09-14-10, 12:31 AM   #18
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Originally Posted by nobgul View Post

@ MidgetMage55,
The Op said he had to get a new computer because of the trouble he was having with the addon.

Addon 1 makes you join Channel a1 When you enter "Dalarn". When you exit Dalarn and enter Crystalsong Forest it makes you join a2.
With the addon off and in dalarn if you type /leave a1
If you still have the addon off and leave then reenter dalarn and it rejoins the chat channel then
A. You have another addon that is doing it.
b. Something is screwey server side.
c. You are not playing on a Official Blizzard server.

Lets say if it is A that is causing the issue. Turn off all your addons and then leave the channel. Exit the zone and then reenter. If you rejoin the channel then it is server side. Make a ticket and yell at a gm not the people tying to help you here.

Now if C. is the cause of the problem then well you loose.

As far as your conduct on the forum here. We are a user supported forum. Yelling and getting rude with us will not help you in any way. Although i know it can be frustrating you will learn in life " Obviously the OP is only about 8 years old" that you will get more accomplished if you are nice to people.
My theory was that some folders were copied over to preserve set ups and that a chat addon might be the culprit. If carbonite is not installed and yet the channels keep popping up I was offering a test to eliminate addons all together. Theory A. renaming the folders removed the addons and the variables from the equation.

Since carbonite was the focus of most if not all trouble shooting attempts i was merely offering an alternative. There is too much being left out for it to be what the OP claims is the case (which we all know isn't possible).

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

09-14-10, 06:29 AM   #19
Nobgul
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post
My theory was that some folders were copied over to preserve set ups and that a chat addon might be the culprit. If carbonite is not installed and yet the channels keep popping up I was offering a test to eliminate addons all together. Theory A. renaming the folders removed the addons and the variables from the equation.

Since carbonite was the focus of most if not all trouble shooting attempts i was merely offering an alternative. There is too much being left out for it to be what the OP claims is the case (which we all know isn't possible).
Very true I find that most times the answer is the one that is the easiest and most over looked.

@ voodoodad

I started out that way but then realized that by posting in the same manner as the OP I would be no better.

P.S.
I still think the OP is playing on a wacky server.

09-16-10, 05:39 PM   #20
mystaken1
A Murloc Raider
Sorry u feel I'm 'yelling' at anyone but if you would scroll back up to my original post u will see that I have been trying to get rid of this 'bug' for 10 months....can you blame anyone for getting a bit frustrated after that much time?

I have completely deleted WTF, cache and all my add-ons at least twice. This initself is frustrating because I then must reconfigure my add-ons to my settings and relearn/refind locations of herb/ore.
I have reset my UI nurmerous times.
I have '/leave channel' so many times I'm sick of it. As I said I have a macro just to do this. Yet it will sometimes reopen immediatly even if I am not moving (so much for re-entering a zone/city).
No one has yet said anything that will remove the root cause nor suggested anything that I have not already tried several times.
Are you trying to say that the chat channel 'CrbZ' is not part and parcel of Carbonite? Because the implication that the problem lies somewhere else seems to say just that. I also seem to be hearing that uninstalling add-ons and then re-installing them fresh would have no effect?
Oh, I play on several servers. Realm Bladefist is westcoast (Seattle), Realms Fizzcrank and Trollbane are on Central and East coast servers. Also, from what I have read in WoW forums, I am not the only person experiancing a problem with Carbonite's Custom Chat Channels.

BTW...the annoying 'ticking' sound only occurs if another player is also in the 'CrbZ######' channel. If I am the only toon in it it makes no noise.
What I have yet to hear is why an add-on that has been uninstalled has left some part of itself 'imbedded' somewhere besides where it should be located. When you get down to the basics, it's rather inethical to say the least...

Also, dishing someone you don't know and have no idea of their actual age is just as immature as you accuse me of being.

Last edited by mystaken1 : 09-16-10 at 05:51 PM. Reason: adding information

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » CrbZ...