09-16-10, 08:32 PM   #1
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
IRC problems, still :(

A while back when I came back to WoW and this wonderful community, I started trying to connect to the IRC (since it's wonderful and filled with magical creatures) but I've always had problems with the servers.
I keep getting kicked off, rejoining, kicked off, I have no idea why and I get no message for it.
2 days ago, I switched from mIRC to IceChat and it helped a lot the first 2 days! Now, I'm back to my old problem. I keep getting kicked off.

Now when I think I've found a server I can stay on without being disconnected from I found out I've been banned from the channel.
I assume this is an automatic safety thing, so I'm kind of asking if it would be possible to remove this ban?

Also, since I've grown tired of the problems (I literally just spent 20 minutes sitting there trying to find a server that wouldn't kick me off after being connected for 30 seconds) I'm wondering if anyone has a clue on why this is happening?

I'm not really good with networks and stuff, I'll be the first to admit it. But I have been playing around with the ports and 6667 seems to be the port with the least issues. However many servers on this port also suffer from the problem I had before.

When connecting to the freenode IRC network, I see this message that I don't see on any other network I connect to (and no other network has this problem.) and I'm wondering if that's the problem?
[frigg] VERSION
Exactly like this. I find this extremely odd and I have no clue on what to do.

Thankful for any help regarding this matter,
- Wimpface.
09-16-10, 08:56 PM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
The channel ban is a temp one until you can get your connection issues sorted out, because your client was spamming the channel with join/part messages. Once you figure out what the problem is, let any of the usual people in the channel know that you should be gtg now and they will get the ban lifted for you.

Have you tried talking to the people at Freenode themselves? They would be the best chance on finding someone who can help you, since it's only with their servers that you are having the problem.
09-16-10, 09:00 PM   #3
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
The channel ban is a temp one until you can get your connection issues sorted out, because your client was spamming the channel with join/part messages. Once you figure out what the problem is, let any of the usual people in the channel know that you should be gtg now and they will get the ban lifted for you.

Have you tried talking to the people at Freenode themselves? They would be the best chance on finding someone who can help you, since it's only with their servers that you are having the problem.
That's what I figured, I think I have found a server that doesn't kick me off now though (again, for 2 days I was good to go, and I have no clue as to why it started acting up again since I had one specific server I was connecting to instead of a random one.) but I'll wait some more to not disturb the channel further.

I'll try talking to them, and see if that helps. Else, I might just have to miss out on the IRC channel completely.

Thanks for the response, Cairenn!

EDIT: I can't find anything in the FAQ about my problem, and to contact the staff at freenode I need to connect to #freenode... which isn't possible. Quite unsure what to do here.

Last edited by Wimpface : 09-16-10 at 09:06 PM.
09-16-10, 09:05 PM   #4
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
You're welcome. Good luck! It'd be nice if you can hang around with the rest of us loons.
09-17-10, 10:40 AM   #5
TekNoir
Premium Member

Premium Member
frigg is the automated FreeNode utility-bot. You are receiving the CTCP VERSION request during the connect phase to help protect other users from malicious trojans and bots. If the client doesn't respond in a timely manner or improperly responds (doesn't match a premade list of responses for known clients), it is disconnected from the server and the server returns a "Client check failed" message. Disabling CTCP VERSION replies, altering your version reply, or using scripts which do either of the above will cause you to be disconnected.

Having said that, anyone should be able to look at your client/server disconnect message when leaving IRC and tell you why you are being disconnected.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » IRC problems, still :(