standalone mazzle 3D characters

Can it be run standalone?
02-08-07, 07:40 AM   #2
meio
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by mrruben5
Can it be run standalone?
Questions should be directed to the thread titled "Support Thread (Ask Questions Here!)".
02-08-07, 08:48 AM   #3
joypunk
A Scalebane Royal Guard
There are parts of the UI that Mazzle developed on his own, and they are intended to be used only with the MazzleUI package. Things like the 3D characters and the HUD are not, and will not be released for "stand alone" use.
02-08-07, 09:17 AM   #4
Toran
A Nerdscale Dorkin

Premium Member
Shame. Share the wealth Mazzle, don't turn into the Microsoft of UI packs.
02-08-07, 09:46 AM   #5
Kierrkian
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Originally Posted by Toran

So... you want open source... well there is the Lua code and all the interface add-ons.. go ahead and remove just the 3D element.... let me know how that goes...
02-08-07, 11:53 AM   #6
Toran
A Nerdscale Dorkin

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Kierrkian
So... you want open source... well there is the Lua code and all the interface add-ons.. go ahead and remove just the 3D element.... let me know how that goes...
I'm sure one of the other *smarter* devs on these sites will do that in short time. I'm not going to melt my own brain trying that.
02-08-07, 11:56 AM   #7
Pockie
A Murloc Raider
I actually think it is quite sad that Mazzle isn't interested in releasing it as a stand-alone addon - the work behind that is quite remarkable, I am in very much awe of what he has accomplished, but using the whole UI is not for me. I am just too comfortable with my current setup. By releasing that as a stand-alone, I think a lot of the community would absolutely love it.

Can we get a reason why you won't do that? Would be interesting to know.
02-08-07, 12:08 PM   #8
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

*boggle* I'm sharing the results of over a year's worth of almost daily work. If that's not sharing the wealth, I don't know what is.

If you don't like my design choices, don't use it. There's lots of stuff I don't like that I don't use. If you want something different, I highly encourage you to develop it on your own and share your wealth with others. I'm sure people other people would appreciate.

But coming in here and trying to insult me into doing something is just rude.

And, no Kierrkian, I don't want people taking apart my code and repackaging it. If people want to do that, they can contact me and ask, just like I did with Bongos and other add-ons. In fact, my original 3d add-on was based on ModelCitizen after I got permission from Xageroth to use his code.
02-08-07, 12:13 PM   #9
Toran
A Nerdscale Dorkin

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz

*boggle* I'm sharing the results of over a year's worth of almost daily work. If that's not sharing the wealth, I don't know what is.

If you don't like my design choices, don't use it. There's lots of stuff I don't like that I don't use. If you want something different, I highly encourage you to develop it on your own and share your wealth with others. I'm sure people other people would appreciate.

But coming in here and trying to insult me into doing something is just rude.

And, no Kierrkian, I don't want people taking apart my code and repackaging it. If people want to do that, they can contact me and ask, just like I did with Bongos and other add-ons. In fact, my original 3d add-on was based on ModelCitizen after I got permission from Xageroth to use his code.
Yikes. Sorry man - you seem pretty stressed. No insult intended - hence the smiley face. I never said I don't like your work. You have done amazing work. I'm just saying that there are lots of folks who have their own UI, that like to insert work from other UIs into their own - for a hybrid setup.

Also, last time I checked, permission isn't required to use addon code. What IS required, is to front-and-center mention the original author as source for proper credit. I see forks of addons all the time with the appropriate credit listed.
02-08-07, 12:19 PM   #10
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Pockie
Can we get a reason why you won't do that? Would be interesting to know.

I have more items on my to-do list than I can possibly complete. I choose to focus on making the most coherent package possible not making individual add-ons.
02-08-07, 12:35 PM   #11
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Yikes. Sorry man - you seem pretty stressed. No insult intended - hence the smiley face. I never said I don't like your work. You have done amazing work. I'm just saying that there are lots of folks who have their own UI, that like to insert work from other UIs into their own - for a hybrid setup.
Comparing me to something that is negative is an insult albeit a veiled one....even if it is followed up by a smiley face to lessen it. That said, it wasn't that bad nor did it seem mean-spirited, so don't worry about it.

Also, last time I checked, permission isn't required to use addon code. What IS required, is to front-and-center mention the original author as source for proper credit. I see forks of addons all the time with the appropriate credit listed.
Then you didn't check very thoroughly. That's not how copyright works. You'll also find that different people release their code under different agreements. Lots of people fully release their code for others to use, and I think that's great. Some people use agreeements that allows people to use it but not sell it. Some people won't allow others to use it at all. Some people only allow people to use it with specific permission. I'm in the last group.

In hobby-stuff like this, most people are not going to start hiring lawyers to enforce copyright. We have to rely on the respect of other developers and site admins. I think all the major sites have mechanisms for authors to request add-ons that inappropriately use other people's code to be pulled. Even the ace community, which is very open, recently pulled an add-on (gmail) b/c a lot of the code was used from another add-on and the original author requested it.

It's not out of the question that I'd release things stand-alone in the futute, but I have neither the time nor interest right now.
02-08-07, 01:47 PM   #12
TigerHeart
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

As mazzle said above, authors have pulled such derivative works off of sites in the past. I, myself as an addon developer would not even think of disecting the UI into pieces. I beg others not to do it either, as if these derivative works start showing up, there's a very good chance mazzle could throw up hands in the air, and say "I am not doing this anymore", and leave those 'other' authors to deal with this themselves. Mazzle does this as a hobby. Read: not as a job. Therefore Mazz can quit at any time without further commitment. Please don't spoil it for the community, and just leave well enough alone .

-TigerHeart
02-08-07, 02:11 PM   #13
Toran
A Nerdscale Dorkin

Premium Member
Originally Posted by TigerHeart

As mazzle said above, authors have pulled such derivative works off of sites in the past. I, myself as an addon developer would not even think of disecting the UI into pieces. I beg others not to do it either, as if these derivative works start showing up, there's a very good chance mazzle could throw up hands in the air, and say "I am not doing this anymore", and leave those 'other' authors to deal with this themselves. Mazzle does this as a hobby. Read: not as a job. Therefore Mazz can quit at any time without further commitment. Please don't spoil it for the community, and just leave well enough alone .

-TigerHeart
I hear you. I used to manage my own small UI pack (Toran's Tweaks) about two years ago. This is when things were much more simple obviously. Lots of work for sure, but nothing to the scale that Mazzle took it. So, I realize this is not a job.
02-08-07, 02:25 PM   #14
Kierrkian
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz

Sorry Mazz it was meant with sarcasm. I will keep that in check for the future....
02-08-07, 02:30 PM   #15
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

I, myself as an addon developer would not even think of disecting the UI into pieces.
Respectfully, that's not gonna happen. Hacking/modding anything to suit your own needs isn't unreasonable, nor is sharing how to handle those modifications to others. Modding something for your own uses is one thing and is a far, far cry from "repackaging" for the general public which is what I think Mazzle's on about (and in fact what you're on about, see below quote), and very much rightfully so.

I beg others not to do it either, as if these derivative works start showing up
I don't think any mod author cares what individuals do on their own systems but when it comes to repackaging for others, it's a different story entirely.

Last edited by VincentSDSH : 02-08-07 at 02:34 PM.
02-08-07, 03:17 PM   #16
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
I'll go ahead and chime in here too. It is not permissible to use another's code without their explicit written consent. Some release their mods under license that allows free use by all. Others ask to be contacted for permission. The majority have nothing at all stated anywhere. If there is nothing stated, complete and total copyright is implicit. If you use someone else's code (whether in whole or in part, whether as is or "hacked") without express written consent, you are violating copyright. Period.

And we will pull your mod from our site if it is brought to our attention that you are violating copyright, and very possibly (probably) ban you from the site as well. Mind you, someone that doesn't care about honouring someone else's copyright probably doesn't care about that, but none the less.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
02-08-07, 04:38 PM   #17
Toran
A Nerdscale Dorkin

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Kierrkian
Sorry Mazz it was meant with sarcasm. I will keep that in check for the future....
No more sarcasm either anymore? LOL - you poor guy. I don't think that violates any copyright. Well I at least got the sarcasm, maybe since I was the target.

Just having a little fun guys - trying to lighten up this thread. Remember, this is a game!
02-15-07, 01:51 PM   #18
Diabolique99
A Defias Bandit
I have a somewhat tangential question. First, hooray to Mazzle for making the UI package as a whole and the 3D models. However, I'd actually like to disable the 3D model for my own character within the Discord Unitframe. I've found the option to turn the little pedestal off, but I can't seem to turn the 3D model itself off for the "Self" frame (the only one I've looked at in detail).

Is this possible? I like having the 3D model in the party and target frames, I just want it to disappear for the "self" unitframe (I prefer the class icon).

Thank you,

-= Diabolique =-
69 Warlock
65 Druid
61 Shaman
61 Rogue
60 Priest
60 Mage
60 Hunter
02-15-07, 06:15 PM   #19
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Diabolique99
I have a somewhat tangential question. First, hooray to Mazzle for making the UI package as a whole and the 3D models. However, I'd actually like to disable the 3D model for my own character within the Discord Unitframe. I've found the option to turn the little pedestal off, but I can't seem to turn the 3D model itself off for the "Self" frame (the only one I've looked at in detail).

Is this possible? I like having the 3D model in the party and target frames, I just want it to disappear for the "self" unitframe (I prefer the class icon).

Thank you,

-= Diabolique =-
69 Warlock
65 Druid
61 Shaman
61 Rogue
60 Priest
60 Mage
60 Hunter

There is no option to turn off 3d models at this time.
02-15-07, 06:47 PM   #20
Pinger
A Defias Bandit
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
Notice that the LUA license claims that you cannot sublicense or limit the use, copy or modification of code that uses LUA. Basically, anybody can strip your code, alter it, and repackage it as long as they give credit to the original authors. Welcome to open source.

http://www.lua.org/license.html#5

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » standalone mazzle 3D characters