09-14-12, 04:04 PM   #121
shadow78
A Cliff Giant
Wink

just a little feed back for you Rythal.
I seen many post about carbonite being to big and having part that people don't use.
Are you making so if you don't want a part of add-on you can disable in-game so it don't load that part ?

ex carbonite use's 9mb-13mb for all part active ... if they allow somepart to be un-active it would be a lot less memory on system..

I hope this make some sense.. lack of sleep will do this to me.
will check back after some sleep and the 3rd shift job to see what you say... 12 hr's plus
09-14-12, 05:36 PM   #122
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The issue of memory should not be a problem. If you run the absolute minimum amount of ram needed it might be a problem or if the addon were so insanely huge (or number of addons you run) that it maxed out system ram. In general it seems to only have an impact on load times when zoning.

That being said, being modular is always a nice option. While my initial statement is true Ive always been a big fan of disabling options i have no need for.

CPU cycles needed (efficiency) has a far greater impact on performance than memory footprint. As many authors have said its very possible to write an addon only a few kb in size that would cripple your system.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
09-14-12, 07:46 PM   #123
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

Originally Posted by shadow78 View Post
just a little feed back for you Rythal.
I seen many post about carbonite being to big and having part that people don't use.
Are you making so if you don't want a part of add-on you can disable in-game so it don't load that part ?
Ry-my-boy, you're gonna have to put out a list of objectives on your site or something since people aren't even skimming this thread to know that you've already said you're going to make RUMA modular, to avoid the bloat of unused features.
09-14-12, 08:16 PM   #124
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by VincentSDSH View Post
Ry-my-boy, you're gonna have to put out a list of objectives on your site or something since people aren't even skimming this thread to know that you've already said you're going to make RUMA modular, to avoid the bloat of unused features.
Modular is always a good thing, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it won't use a fair chunk of your RAM.
Originally Posted by shadow78 View Post
ex carbonite use's 9mb-13mb for all part active ... if they allow somepart to be un-active it would be a lot less memory on system..
Carbonite is a good example of this. If I remember correctly (it's been a while since I completely reinstalled Carbonite) Carbonites memory footprint isn't near that large when you first install it (something like 5-6 MB, I think). Start doing a lot of quests and gathering a lot of nodes, though, and it goes up fairly quickly. It also get's larger when you have a lot of characters. Like, I have something like 35 characters spread out over 6 or 7 servers. But I only really use one profile in Carbonite and just copy it between characters. I think my normal memory usage for Carbonite is around 12/13 MB. For some odd reason I can occasionally check it and find it below 10 MB for a while. It does go back up to normal again, though.

Auctioneer Suite is another example. Especially if you scan the AH often. GatherMate2s data base is another good example. It gets a little larger with every download. I used to use an addon called DropCount to see where something I looted dropped from. The database got to be pretty big after a while for that, too.

Look, all I'm saying here is to not expect any memory usage miracles just because the addon is modular. You're still going to need some data bases for it and they consume memory (when loaded and in use). I don't think there is any way around that.

I think I would worry more about CPU usage. Now THAT can ruin your day really fast.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

Last edited by jeffy162 : 09-14-12 at 08:21 PM.
09-14-12, 08:58 PM   #125
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Modular can help, especially splitting maps and gathering data apart, but if your using both parts then yes it won't be much smaller...

Part of the advantage of a rewrite tho is I can try cutting down on how much it uses... Maps for example, the current code uses 4 different lists to put it all together, if that can be cut down to 1 or 2 that's a small improvement.

The other advantage is the old code is 100% self-reliant, it had to be, when it was written libraries and modular code were unheard of in blizzard / addon programming. Now starting over, I can use things like Ace3, LibDataBroker & LibMapData to cut down.
09-14-12, 09:43 PM   #126
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
Modular is always a good thing, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it won't use a fair chunk of your RAM.
Um, that's like saying "having the sky blue is a good thing but that it isn't the product of atmospheric composition and refraction."

If a feature needs a lot of ram, it'll take it, er, rather obviously; the objective of modularity is not to toss away ram for features you don't need (like Craponite).

What exactly about what I said regarding the bloat associated with unused features were you trying to refute?

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
The other advantage is the old code is 100% self-reliant, it had to be, when it was written libraries and modular code were unheard of in blizzard / addon programming. Now starting over, I can use things like Ace3, LibDataBroker & LibMapData to cut down.
I'm pretty sure that libraries (including the Ace framework) predate Carbonite; I would imagine their code is self-referenced is related to copyright issues since they were originally pay-to-use.

Not that it matters a tinker's damn, mind you, but I'm wearing my Canuck-for-a-day Moose Antler Hat and you know how persnickety moose antlers can be.

Last edited by VincentSDSH : 09-14-12 at 09:50 PM.
09-14-12, 09:59 PM   #127
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by VincentSDSH View Post
I'm pretty sure that libraries (including the Ace framework) predate Carbonite; I would imagine their code is self-referenced is related to copyright issues since they were originally pay-to-use.
Could be, I wasn't around when they all came out, I just did looking around trying to see why they did things the hard way and saw carbonite was released 2007, and ace didn't seem to be until late 2008.
09-14-12, 10:13 PM   #128
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Ace3 maybe. There was Ace2 and Ace before that. Modular addons existed as well.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-15-12, 02:01 AM   #129
Muezick
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Words cannot express...should've sent a poet..

Oh wow...

where can I follow this addon's development more closely?

GO GO RUMA or...Kryptonite, or...Ryton or....What ever you will call it!

Most exciting news for wow addons i've read in a really long time! Actually, i think this is the best thing since i learned of carbonite!
09-15-12, 03:34 AM   #130
AmberK
A Defias Bandit
Talking Oh Thank the WoW Gods

Old... New... Unheard of... pick a God... or thank them all.

I don't know if you are taking suggestions yet or not, but the one thing that I LOVED about that OTHER addon, and the only reason I didn't replace it completely, was the fact that I could have the world map scaled in one corner, and the standard minimap in the other, and STILL get the big map without issue. If you are able to include that, I would be eternally grateful!

*sits and watches intently for Rythal's addon*

EDIT - I kinda like RUMA, I'd so run with that.
09-15-12, 04:04 AM   #131
samatina
A Murloc Raider
Rythal, I am really happy to know you'll be doing an equivalent addon. I use "the other one" and love(d) it. You have no idea how grateful I was when you posted that fan update, and my friends/guildies as well as I shared the joy. I specifically made an account here to thank you. I was always just a lurker in the addons community before. Never felt the need to speak up, until now.

What I want? I want it all. LOL, what can I say. I love the friends (yes, I use that front page friends screen and put notes all over it. I'm a GM and I have people on my friends list that are craftsmen/women that I refer to others and I keep notes on all of them) and chat integration, I use the quest part exclusively and of course the map(s). And the punks feature. There probably is some bloat that I don't use, but I've never really looked for it to be honest.

My coding skills are minimal at best. I am limited to basic coding,.php coding, and one college course in c++ only, which is no help to you, but I'll be glad to help in any way I can. I used to keep a website for a game called Lineage 2, but it was all .php. However, I am skilled in maintaining sites/social media/blogs. Just call my name and I'll be glad to put the time in for you and everyone else.
09-15-12, 03:49 PM   #132
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
Carbonite and Cartographer were two addons that did the same thing... smooth moving google style maps, and so long as I don't use any of there code, the have no grounds since the images are all pulled from wow's data files.

As for kickstarter, even if I wanted to I couldn't.. it's for americans only and i'm a canuck :P
A suggestion just occurred to me...

I use nUI and consider it, along with Carbonite (well, as of now, your fan version 07 of it), as the two absolute 'must have' addons for playing WoW. At the moment Scott is feverishly working on nUI v6 (hopes to have a beta for it ready by Sep 25th). One of nUI's outstanding features is that Scott put a lot of work into making nUI work fairly seamlessly with Carbonite.

My suggestion is that you coordinate with Scott so that, out of the box, your replacement for Carbonite will also work seamlessly with nUI. I'd guess that he'd be more than happy to share info on nUI 'program hooks' etc.

That would be a real nice win-win scenario.

As an addendum, after all of this time, I just don't understand why Blizzard hasn't made these two addons an integral part of WoW. They both should be core parts of the UI code.

Last edited by Coasty : 09-15-12 at 03:53 PM.
09-15-12, 04:11 PM   #133
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

Originally Posted by Muezick View Post
where can I follow this addon's development more closely?

GO GO RUMA or...Kryptonite, or...Ryton or....What ever you will call it!
You can follow RUMA at http://rythal.com/
09-15-12, 08:46 PM   #134
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Coasty View Post
As an addendum, after all of this time, I just don't understand why Blizzard hasn't made these two addons an integral part of WoW. They both should be core parts of the UI code.
Quite honestly? Because there are tons of people like me that wouldn't want them.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-15-12, 10:31 PM   #135
Talyrius
An Onyxian Warder

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Quite honestly? Because there are tons of people like me that wouldn't want them.
I concur. They try to do too many things and don't particularly exceed at any of them.
09-16-12, 05:19 PM   #136
lindawing
A Murloc Raider
Just went to the new site and used that Donate button. (Not that I have much with which to donate, but I'm sure every little bit will help.)
09-16-12, 10:00 PM   #137
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
was trying to work on stuff tonight :/ got my own window framework done so I can create windows like carbonites that act the same way as a real windows window, each side can be dragged to resize, title bar to move it.

Was starting to think of the world maps in my head and general code testing to see what would work or not, but the constant server crashes every 30 seconds thanks to some idiots has made it really hard to do anything right now.
09-17-12, 06:49 AM   #138
Genocyber
A Murloc Raider
Rythal, I'm a programer and your project will help us a lot,

If u need help coding or developing the addon, just pm on me
09-17-12, 10:49 PM   #139
dozz
A Murloc Raider

I wonder 'bout language support. 'cause Carbonite didn't work @ russian realms for a long time and i'd be really glad if your addon would be available there
09-18-12, 01:34 PM   #140
Noridin
A Defias Bandit
Ryonite

I think you should call it Ryonite.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Rythal!! Read this...