10-26-06, 07:57 AM   #1
VirtualPenguin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
WTF directory ???

what is it made for ive got it with a UI and i just want 2 or 3 addons from that but then there is a directory called WTF help please???
10-26-06, 08:04 AM   #2
wildcatts29
A Murloc Raider
WTF is a folder that saves all the save data for your UI. So onceyou set it up it will stay the way you set it up. IF a UI comes with a WTF folder file then its giving you the saved data from the makers setup. It is usually put into a mod folder to help with hard to setup mods to give you a basic layout.
10-26-06, 08:39 AM   #3
VirtualPenguin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Then i dont need it if i only want 2 or 3 addons from that ui? right and if i am going to delete all of my addons then i need to delete the WTF folder to right?
10-26-06, 10:22 AM   #4
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Incorrect. You cannot play without the WTF folder. It contains all of your settings. Even if you delete it, WoW will recreate it next time you play.
10-26-06, 10:34 AM   #5
CrimsonHawk
Premium Member
Mazzlefizz is correct insomuch that you need YOUR wtf folder.

However, I think your conclusion was that you didn't need the wtf folder contents that came with mod compilation that you downloaded. And, in that, you are correct. You can just set up those two or three mods that you want yourself and that setup data will save to YOUR wtf folder without any problems.
10-26-06, 10:37 AM   #6
VirtualPenguin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
i wouldent get problems if i deletet every addon ive got and then installed some new then there would be some files in the WTF folder that werent being used is that ok????
10-26-06, 10:43 AM   #7
CrimsonHawk
Premium Member
If you wanted to delete every addon that is currently in your Interface directory and start completely from scratch, it's best to go ahead and delete the contents of your wtf folder so that you do not have the conflicted and unused saved variable data gumming up your system.

However, fair warning, if you do go that route, you'll find yourself having to set up every option, every keybind, every macro, and every UI option you had set up before.

Come to think of it, you'd probably be best served going deeper into your wtf folder...

...World of Warcraft/WTF/Account/{YourAccountName}/

and only deleting anything with the name "SavedVariables" attached to it.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by CrimsonHawk : 10-26-06 at 10:46 AM.
10-26-06, 10:56 AM   #8
Tsikura
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by VirtualPenguin
i wouldent get problems if i deletet every addon ive got and then installed some new then there would be some files in the WTF folder that werent being used is that ok????
Yes, if you remove old addons and add new ones, the settings from those old addons will still be there but they will not affect your game. Adding new addons creates new save files.
10-26-06, 11:44 AM   #9
Corrodias
A Murloc Raider
Indeed, having old files in your SavedVariables folder won't hurt your game. I can only think of three cases in which you would want to clear out old files:

1) You might want to clean it up if you have a LOT of files in there, and need the disk space. Mine is 33mb, for example, but that's from over 150 addons, and 33mb is peanuts compared to WoW itself.

2) You might want to clean it up if you are updating addons and the old SavedVariables files actually mess it up because the code of the addon has changed significantly (the readme or changelog will warn you if this is the case).

3) You might want to clean it up if you are trying to organize your files manually and unused files get your panties in a knot, like they do for me.
10-26-06, 11:54 AM   #10
VirtualPenguin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thanks for the help everybody i will just delete everything from the savedvariables folder and start over with addons

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » WTF directory ???