05-10-11, 10:40 AM   #1
renews
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Lightbulb oUF or RDX wich one is easier to learn?

By easier i mean.

Get more Docs and References on the web.
Less lines of code?
More flexible?
Size of community?

Anyone can give me a tip on this?!
05-10-11, 02:29 PM   #2
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Well, if I understand both correctly, there's no comparison that you can really make. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

oUF is a Unit Frame "framework". IE: Use oUF to make your own unit frames (player, target, tot, tott - like that).

RDX is, basically, a way to completely make your own User Interface, or UI. Not just unit frames, but everything.

In case you haven't already, check out the RDX homepage for more information.
05-10-11, 03:20 PM   #3
renews
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
Well, if I understand both correctly, there's no comparison that you can really make. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

oUF is a Unit Frame "framework". IE: Use oUF to make your own unit frames (player, target, tot, tott - like that).

RDX is, basically, a way to completely make your own User Interface, or UI. Not just unit frames, but everything.

In case you haven't already, check out the RDX homepage for more information.
i already did check

So with RDX you can skin and add functions to every single piece of your UI? Like bags, gbank, bars, etc?
One thing i dont understand on RDX is, that menu on top of my screen, he is always there? or only when i develop?

oUF is only for the frames then?

If it is, which one give me more flexibility to personalize the unitframe?

Sry for my bad english.
Thanks for trying to help me!
05-10-11, 03:26 PM   #4
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
As already mentioned. The two projects you've mentioned have a completely different set of goals and intended user-base.

Do note that I'm the author of oUF, and thus my opinions are biased by default.

To answer your questions however:

Documentation wise RDX exceeds oUF easily. sigg has several guides and tutorials to get you rolling and quite a lot of effort has been put into making things easy.

With RDX you can get the ball rolling without any knowledge about Lua, while oUF assumes you are able to read its source and understand it. Where RDX provides you with in-game options to handle everything, oUF will provide you with nothing but your own skill with Lua and the WoW API.

This also means that the size and complexity of RDX is larger, but it also does _a lot_ more than oUF. I know sigg has poured a lot of effort into smart caching and other performance enhancing techniques. Where oUF takes the easy and fast route of just implementing it, to then refactor it later on.

When it comes to flexibility RDX is limited by what it supports, but it can most likely implement most (if not all) of oUF, without having to write a single line of Lua/XML. On the other hand, oUF is only limited by the your knowledge of Lua/XML and WoW's API.

I have no gauge for the size of the communities however.
05-10-11, 05:36 PM   #5
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

If you already know some Lua, I'd recommend oUF, over RDX. RDX is great for what it does, which is almost everything, but it's fairly complex, and will take a good while to figure it out, even after looking through the tutorial a few times.

"This is the fifteen-thousandth four hundredth and ninety-eighth occurence".
05-10-11, 07:56 PM   #6
unlimit
Lookin' Good

RDX isn't that difficult to learn, think of it like a mountain, it's only difficult going up hill, or in other terms, learning the basics.

The hardest part is understanding what you're doing, and I never really followed the tutorials. The best way, and I'm sure everyone who understands RDX would agree, is to simply install it, and start screwing around. Ruin your UI for a few hours learning what things do, just play with things.

What most of us did when we first learned was do exactly that, open someone else's packages and see what everything did one by one. Deleting one object and seeing how it affected the rest of the object.

Once you get use to what things do, and once you start understanding (which is honestly really easy once you see it happen) how deleting one tiny little subframe may kill the rest of the object, you understand that each little part is valuable, because it's connected, or linked, somewhere in the editor by some other object.

I know it sounds complicated by how I describe it, but it really isn't. It's only complicated the first few hours, or sometimes, first day or two.

kúdan: im playing pantheon
JRCapablanca: no youre not
** Pantheon has been Banned. **
05-11-11, 03:20 PM   #7
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
Originally Posted by renews View Post
By easier i mean.

Get more Docs and References on the web.
Less lines of code?
More flexible?
Size of community?

Anyone can give me a tip on this?!
Best advice one could give you is to try them both. Apples can't be compared to bananas. And while some people like apples, some like bananas.
05-11-11, 03:49 PM   #8
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

...and some people like Apple Bananas!

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
05-11-11, 06:44 PM   #9
renews
A Murloc Raider
im going to try both for sure, i want to make a new full ui.
With everything customized , like, nUI or Tukui, Lui, etc.
But in my own way.

Probably im gonna to not use either, but will give it a shot.

Thanks for everyone trying to help

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » oUF or RDX wich one is easier to learn?