01-16-14, 09:33 AM   #1
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Elder Scrolls Online! Who will make Addons?

Anyone else had chance to Betatest The Elder Scrolls Online yet? The release will be on 04.04.14! Is anyone planing on writing lua addons for ESO?

Last weekend I had the chance to test the ESO beta for 3 Days. I have tested some mmorpgs like Guidwars, StarWars, Aion, LOTR etc. but ESO was very different and I liked it very much. The UI is very different from wow. The beta was a bit to much questing at the beginning but that helped to understand the new controls until I was able to join the first dungon. I like the freedom of gear and profession. You can make a mage that is waring plate armor and using dagger and shild so its very individual. Overall I think its a great start and I woud love to see many cool addons for it!
01-16-14, 09:48 AM   #2
Duugu
Premium Member

Does it even Support mods?
01-16-14, 09:52 AM   #3
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
I have tested it but I don't see where it is fundamentally different from any of the other new MMOs we've seen over the years. To me it feels like they're building off the TES fan base to make an MMO that will be as expensive as possible while it's new (retail game price + sub cost similar to WoW + cash store), but ultimately fails to do something truly innovative with the MMO genre that could convince WoW players to give up on a portion of their friends/guild and all their characters they've built up over the years.

That's not to say it's bad, I just doubt many WoW fans will be won over in the long run.
01-16-14, 10:38 AM   #4
Duugu
Premium Member

Is the somewhere a public download for the beta client? Would like to see their file formats.
01-16-14, 10:54 AM   #5
karmamuscle
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Only reason I'm going to play is because of the TES connection. Huge fan. But once I've seen the storylines I'm out.

@Duugu
Its Lua and XML. They have released a survey addon, just checking it now if anything related to me is stored in it.
They are extremely protective of their stuff. Account name is plastered all over the screen as a watermark to prevent screenshots. Can't imagine what else they have done.

update: No foul play, let me know if you want a link to it. Don't think I'm allowed to post a link to files outside wowi.

Last edited by karmamuscle : 01-16-14 at 11:01 AM.
01-16-14, 11:25 AM   #6
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by ckramme View Post
They are extremely protective of their stuff. Account name is plastered all over the screen as a watermark to prevent screenshots. Can't imagine what else they have done.
update: No foul play, let me know if you want a link to it. Don't think I'm allowed to post a link to files outside wowi.
Well I have streamed some minutes with censored acc name anyway - link removed, please don't link to NDA breaking videos, screenshots, etc. ~ Cairenn

Last edited by Cairenn : 01-16-14 at 02:25 PM.
01-16-14, 03:37 PM   #7
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
I beta tested this weekend, loved it. I signed up *so to speak* to join their addon beta when one arises but it looks like our guild ( whats left of it ) will be shifting to ESO when it comes out, but based on history I won't be cancelling my wow account quite yet rofl. Just switching off the second one to use for ESO.

A fellow guildie got in as well so we chatted while playing but we clearly hated the beta finishing so soon rofl.

I personally liked the crafting side of the game, and how the levelling and gearing works to make your characters somewhat unique.

Can't wait to see what the API access will be like.
01-16-14, 03:46 PM   #8
Duugu
Premium Member

Originally Posted by ckramme View Post
@Duugu
Its Lua and XML. They have released a survey addon, just checking it now if anything related to me is stored in it.
I was talking about the game files format. Like Blizzards mpq files. Is it a known format?

Nevermind ... I've registerd myself for the beta. Maybe I'm lucky.
01-16-14, 08:56 PM   #9
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Where is the link to the existing AddOn? And do they have links to their API?
01-16-14, 09:57 PM   #10
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by myrroddin View Post
Where is the link to the existing AddOn?
It was removed because the game is still in closed beta, and the beta testers are under an NDA that forbids them from posting screenshots, videos, and presumably any other game materials.
01-22-14, 02:10 AM   #11
sezz
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Got into the stress test and uninstalled it after about 20 minutes, looks & feels like those single-player-mmo-like games that came out 10+ years ago.

Personally I'm waiting for WildStar (signed up for the beta in 2011 but had no luck so far, only got into 2 stress tests) - they support addons (also Lua) and have the cutest vegetable NPCs you've ever seen.
01-22-14, 12:39 PM   #12
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by sezz View Post
Got into the stress test and uninstalled it after about 20 minutes, looks & feels like those single-player-mmo-like games that came out 10+ years ago.
Well after 20 min you have not even left the first starting zone thats maybe why it looks and feels like this for you. Isen't it the same in WoW? If you are not in a guide or group you feel like a singelplayer until you reach the first city.
01-22-14, 08:27 PM   #13
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Tonyleila View Post
Well after 20 min you have not even left the first starting zone thats maybe why it looks and feels like this for you. Isen't it the same in WoW? If you are not in a guide or group you feel like a singelplayer until you reach the first city.
I don't know about that... I've been leveling on EU servers recently, and there are tons of people everywhere, even in starting zones. It's actually pretty annoying having to fight over quest mobs when it's not even the first week of an expansion. Fortunately I'm usually playing during the middle of the night and early morning EU times, so I don't have to deal with it all the time, but if you're playing during your region's normal hours, you're definitely not alone.
01-22-14, 10:41 PM   #14
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
It looked like to me that the first area is a solo tutorial phase. I only ever saw NPCs in that area. As I moved further out I could see other players and as I moved further into the game more people appeared.

Being a stress test however I was expecting more people around but perhaps the fact that I was taking my time testing everything including the crafting element that people had levelled past me already rofl.
01-22-14, 11:57 PM   #15
Duugu
Premium Member

Well, it's basically a classic style MMO that is doing nothing or little different from others. The only difference is that it is not as polished as an 8 years old MMO like WoW. If you're looking for an innovative new MMO style or 'the next big thing' it will be a disappointing experience. Waiting for EQ Next or something probably would be a better choice in that case.

Personally I can't see any sense in developing just another 'classic' MMO today. My feeling is that it won't attract that may MMO payers aka customers. But I think they are targeting mainly at all the Skyrim players who never tried an MMO at all.

Last edited by Duugu : 01-23-14 at 12:10 AM.
01-23-14, 12:26 AM   #16
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
Well, it's basically a classic style MMO that is doing nothing or little different from others.
But do the teeny weeny, shimmy shiny new netizens know that. Where's dadies credit card, his WoW is old $$$.
01-23-14, 01:06 AM   #17
sezz
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
I don't know how large the starting area is, the last zone I've been to was somewhere outdoors after I jumped into some kind of vortex or whatever right after saving an important NPC (I skipped all the chit chat dialogs, but I'm pretty sure that guy was really important). I remember being in a small town where I killed some cows and ravens. Oh and i mined some ore. Then I went to a nearby tower, killed 2 enemies (or atleast tried to, they jumped around like crazy) and uninstalled the game.

Was this still the starting zone? I only ran across 2 other players after I left that town and the chat was totally quiet.
01-23-14, 01:15 AM   #18
Duugu
Premium Member

I don't know how large the starting area is, the last zone I've been to was somewhere outdoors after I jumped into some kind of vortex or whatever right after saving an important NPC (I skipped all the chit chat dialogs, but I'm pretty sure that guy was really important). I remember being in a small town where I killed some cows and ravens. Oh and i mined some ore. Then I went to a nearby tower, killed 2 enemies (or atleast tried to, they jumped around like crazy) and uninstalled the game.

Was this still the starting zone? I only ran across 2 other players after I left that town and the chat was totally quiet.
I don't know why ... but the first thing that comes to my mind is No Child Left Behind. ;D

Last edited by Duugu : 01-23-14 at 01:28 AM.
01-23-14, 08:36 AM   #19
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member

Wow, there was a lot of chatting while I was playing.

Race Related starting zone - up to vortex part you described
Faction Related questing hubs - where the vortex sends you

I never went higher than level 5 so can't say what happens later on but I spent time in 2 quest hub zones which looked to be faction zones. Looking at the map these areas are pretty big, not sure when you start mixing with other factions.
01-23-14, 03:28 PM   #20
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
Anyone else had chance to Betatest The Elder Scrolls Online yet? The release will be on 04.04.14! Is anyone planing on writing lua addons for ESO?

Last weekend I had the chance to test the ESO beta for 3 Days. I have tested some mmorpgs like Guidwars, StarWars, Aion, LOTR etc. but ESO was very different and I liked it very much. The UI is very different from wow. The beta was a bit to much questing at the beginning but that helped to understand the new controls until I was able to join the first dungon. I like the freedom of gear and profession. You can make a mage that is waring plate armor and using dagger and shild so its very individual. Overall I think its a great start and I woud love to see many cool addons for it!
I won't be bothering. ESO online is horrible.

Marth

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Elder Scrolls Online! Who will make Addons?