12-06-14, 11:18 AM   #621
Choonstertwo
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Unfortunately guys, Carbonite is licensed GPL, so there is absolutely nothing we can do about it. Sleazy? Yes. Less than ethical? Yes. Actionable? No.

=/
I'm guessing the answer is "No", but would there be any basis for preventing CarboniteBr from collecting donations?

12-06-14, 11:22 AM   #622
Fathersin
A Cyclonian

Unfortunately guys, Carbonite is licensed GPL, so there is absolutely nothing we can do about it. Sleazy? Yes. Less than ethical? Yes. Actionable? No.

=/
To “modify” a work means to copy from or adapt all or part of the work in a fashion requiring copyright permission, other than the making of an exact copy. The resulting work is called a “modified version” of the earlier work or a work “based on” the earlier work.

if he is just pulling from git and publishing it, he is in fact violating GPL.

12-06-14, 11:36 AM   #623
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
No, he isn't.

The GNU General Public License (GNU GPL or GPL) is the most widely used free software license, which guarantees end users (individuals, organizations, companies) the freedoms to use, study, share (copy), and modify the software.

12-06-14, 11:39 AM   #624
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
And he is modifying it, it's not a "direct copy" as he changes the logo, and some strings in the localization files... so it's a 99.9% copy.

Really it's my own fault for not releasing it and trying to make sure things are near perfect before moving it from git to download sections.

And I will admit I had pondered hidden code to break his version.. something like the MD5 of his version of the image file split across strings throughout all the parts of the addon which gets rebuilt and clears Mx.map if it matches, but I won't stoop so low.

Last edited by Rythal : 12-06-14 at 11:43 AM.

12-06-14, 11:40 AM   #625
Garettjax
A Murloc Raider
Alright.. so lets just find out what realms he plays on and gank him.. over and over....

12-06-14, 11:40 AM   #626
Ghosthree3
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

=/
I understand not being able to take it down, but at least the donations?

12-06-14, 11:51 AM   #627
Garettjax
A Murloc Raider
The issues I mentioned a few pages back with the map... are FIXED!!

Rythal, You are the Man with the Master Plan!!

EDIT: I was wondering.. and maybe it has been mentioned before.. When questing, the map shows the "spot" with various colored circled x's.. Carbonite has always done this. Where is the colored area around the colored spot to mark the area that certain item can be found in? IE.. say you have to kill acolytes.. well it used to show a colored circled x and around that was a same colored area of where those acolytes would be found.. Where is the colored area? Did WoW change things so this can no longer show up?

Last edited by Garettjax : 12-06-14 at 12:02 PM.

12-06-14, 12:08 PM   #628
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
And he is modifying it, it's not a "direct copy" as he changes the logo, and some strings in the localization files... so it's a 99.9% copy.

Really it's my own fault for not releasing it and trying to make sure things are near perfect before moving it from git to download sections.

And I will admit I had pondered hidden code to break his version.. something like the MD5 of his version of the image file split across strings throughout all the parts of the addon which gets rebuilt and clears Mx.map if it matches, but I won't stoop so low.
Do IT! U sould protect it or change the licence to something else

12-06-14, 12:13 PM   #629
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Garettjax View Post
The issues I mentioned a few pages back with the map... are FIXED!!

Rythal, You are the Man with the Master Plan!!

EDIT: I was wondering.. and maybe it has been mentioned before.. When questing, the map shows the "spot" with various colored circled x's.. Carbonite has always done this. Where is the colored area around the colored spot to mark the area that certain item can be found in? IE.. say you have to kill acolytes.. well it used to show a colored circled x and around that was a same colored area of where those acolytes would be found.. Where is the colored area? Did WoW change things so this can no longer show up?
those coloured circles were created and drawn based on information stored in carbonites quest databases. Unfortunately the quest databases have not been updated since MoP, while I don't know for sure I suspect the original authors had a working site scrapper to build the quest info off wowhead, and since I don't it needs to be done by hand which is a lot of work and further down the road once everything else is finished.

12-06-14, 12:15 PM   #630
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by ircdirk View Post
Do IT! U sould protect it or change the licence to something else
No.. to write self-destructing code would be just as un-ethical. I'll just keep working on the major bugs (there isn't many major ones left) instead of the major and minor ones and get it released officially. People won't download or donate to an alternate version if they have no reason to.

12-06-14, 12:49 PM   #631
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

No.. to write self-destructing code would be just as un-ethical. I'll just keep working on the major bugs (there isn't many major ones left) instead of the major and minor ones and get it released officially. People won't download or donate to an alternate version if they have no reason to.
We can change from GitHub to Bitbucket... where repositories can be private and u can just add rights to people who are commiting (those u choose). No one else will have rights to commit or download the source.

12-06-14, 01:00 PM   #632
KMJX
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

=/
Even under GPL, I believe it is necessary to give due credit to those who significantly contributed to the project.
And I believe "rewriting the thing from basically from scratch" would qualify.

12-06-14, 01:21 PM   #633
Fathersin
A Cyclonian

No, he isn't.
I can split hairs with you all day about this but i'm not.

moral of the whole deal is you (wowinterface) can choose to do something about it or not (which you are currently doing) regardless of GPL. your site, your rules.

kinda ironic how wowinterface will push the don't use wowmatrix (for basically the same reason) but allows someone to do essentially the same thing on their own site and collect donations for it.

12-06-14, 01:22 PM   #634
atl77
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

=/
While the GPL allows changes of the code, changes to credits or copyright notes are still forbidden. Wrongly assuming a copyright is actionable in most country, no matter what the license.

However, taking the judicative way to solve this is going to cost valuable time and money better spent on development.

Therefore, I would advise against any legal actions.

12-06-14, 01:26 PM   #635
beastieboy442
A Fallenroot Satyr

Portuguese?

So that's what it is ... I probed over in *their* wowinterface thread to find something out ... that was a two or three weeks ago ... about the same time I asked in this forum about it ... I think it got lost in the frenzy of getting the *true* Carbonite tweaked, cuz no one replied to it.

Rythal ... I really appreciate all your work (and an acknowledgement to all of you that have helped him so much, too). I wish I had also had the ability to have helped. You're all to be commended for giving us the best WOW addon out there.

Thanks!

12-06-14, 01:55 PM   #636
matrixchild
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Something I just noticed is the goto tracking malfunctions in-between zones. This was first noticed in Pandaria. If I set a waypoint to somewhere in another zone it doesn't make the spot selected the goto marker. I also noticed this in the Outlands.

Edit: also, I'm having trouble setting up waypoints in multiple zones by using the zone names. Is there a different format I need to use since the map changes?

Last edited by matrixchild : 12-06-14 at 02:06 PM.

12-06-14, 02:18 PM   #637
Aalwein
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

The Blizzard quest log is randomly going blank at times, for reasons I cannot pinpoint. I'll just be out doing quests and then I'll happen to look in the Blizzard quest log and its entirely blank. A /reload ui fixes it until it occurs again. I'll try to find a reliable way to replicate it but so far it is entirely random.

Edit: Figured out the trigger. Opening the Carbonite quest log blanks out the Blizzard quest log.

Last edited by Aalwein : 12-06-14 at 02:23 PM.

12-06-14, 02:42 PM   #638
Garettjax
A Murloc Raider
Ok, Rythal. I understand now. Thanks for the reply and thanks for working on this awesome addon.

12-06-14, 02:50 PM   #639
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

those coloured circles were created and drawn based on information stored in carbonites quest databases. Unfortunately the quest databases have not been updated since MoP, while I don't know for sure I suspect the original authors had a working site scrapper to build the quest info off wowhead, and since I don't it needs to be done by hand which is a lot of work and further down the road once everything else is finished.
It can be done, ill dig into quest database and see what is needed from wowhead. I can write this kind of scrapper.

Rythal can u describe some things form QuestsX-X.lua:

Code:
[24432] = {
	Quest = [[Sea Legs|1|81|80|25281|0]], <= thats all data from wowhead db
	Start = "1994|610|32|45.16|23.34", <= describe those, last 2 are NPC cords but others not from wowhead db (ok i found the first, this is key number from QuestNPC.lua Array)
	End = "1994|610|32|45.16|23.35",
	Objectives = {
	  [1] = {
		 "nil|610|35|45.5|21.5|15.03|6.68", <= describe those, 4rd and 5th are NPC cords but others not from wowhead db
		 "nil|610|35|45|22.5|20.04|3.34",
		 "nil|610|35|44.5|23|25.05|3.34",
		 "nil|610|35|43|23.5|40.08|3.34",
		 "nil|610|35|43|24|35.07|20.04",
		 "nil|610|35|43.5|27|25.05|3.34",
	   },
	  [2] = {
		 "nil|610|35|45|26.5|5.01|3.34",
	   },
	},
  },

Last edited by ircdirk : 12-06-14 at 03:19 PM.

12-06-14, 03:38 PM   #640
Aalwein
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Did a garrison invasion today and noticed that during the 2nd phase (holdout) there is no timer in the Carbonite quest tracker.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » WOD/Pre-patch