03-08-10, 03:52 AM   #1
Goldpaw
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Looking for willing betatesters for my UI package

The test is done, and the UI will "soon" be publicly available, as most of the addons in it are soon ready for, or already released. I thank everybody that participated in helping me, and apologize for violating the site rules by linking indirectly to off-site downloads.

Last edited by Goldpaw : 06-17-10 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Done with the beta
03-08-10, 08:47 AM   #2
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

I can't seem to find the part where you credit Tukz and Nightcracker for making the core code. Where is it?
03-08-10, 08:50 AM   #3
MadCow
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

looks really nice. Ill test it out for you. 1920x1080
03-08-10, 09:10 AM   #4
Goldpaw
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by nightcracker View Post
I can't seem to find the part where you credit Tukz and Nightcracker for making the core code. Where is it?
It isn't there, since;
1) It's not ready for release, my blog is not it's website.
2) They didn't write the core code. All custom add-ons are done by me. Visually many things are similar to other UIs, but internally not.
3) Everybody that in some way have contributed will be duly credited both in the download description when it's done, as well as in-game and on the addon selection screen even.

Hope this clears up any confusion.
03-08-10, 09:17 AM   #5
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

Where can I download the UI?
03-08-10, 09:43 AM   #6
Goldpaw
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Where can I download the UI?
You can't, yet. Currently I'm just scouting for testers. I'll let you know when I let the potential testers know.
03-08-10, 10:55 AM   #7
contramundi
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
isn't it better to ask for help from people the moment you actually have something to send them or for them to download something somewhere?
03-08-10, 12:11 PM   #8
Aerials
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
anyone else getting a negative vibe here?

really, it's fully possible that he wrote it on his own. and a lot of people try to find people to have test it then make a mailing list of those their gonna have test it, then send them all the link.... it's more organized than sending some people here and there the link.
03-08-10, 12:33 PM   #9
Goldpaw
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by contramundi View Post
isn't it better to ask for help from people the moment you actually have something to send them or for them to download something somewhere?
I do have something to send people, but it's unfinished as I mentioned in the original post. The 6 layouts are embedded in the code, but the 2 high res layouts are possibly completely unusable, since I haven't been able to test them out in action yet.

I chose to ask for help with this from those that might be interested, in order to be able to present a stable product with layouts that work once released. So as you can see, I absolutely have "something" to send out, but just not a 100% finished product. If I had a 100% finished product, I wouldn't be needing any help.

Hope this clears up any remaining confusion.
03-08-10, 01:24 PM   #10
Xhelius
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Aerials View Post
anyone else getting a negative vibe here?

Yup...I sure am
03-08-10, 01:50 PM   #11
MadCow
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I detected a negative vibe for sure but it wasnt from the OP.
03-08-10, 03:06 PM   #12
Praesagus
A Theradrim Guardian

Originally Posted by MadCow View Post
I detected a negative vibe for sure but it wasnt from the OP.
Agree completely!
03-09-10, 02:01 AM   #13
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

I also detected a negative vibe. It needs to be removed/squelched as it only upsets and deters new authors/posters to WoWInterface.

Now let the OP get his lab rats, erm, I mean beta testers the way HE wants. If you wanted to help test, you had to get in touch with him. I can understand his reasons for going for a invite only type of testing phase and his reasons are perfectly valid. However the point is moot as the OP has collected his lab rats.

Last edited by Zyonin : 03-09-10 at 02:06 AM.
03-09-10, 03:58 AM   #14
contramundi
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Well,

i probably misread/understand coz of the reply you gave nightcracker. What i thought i read was that you currently where looking for people willing to help test the UI as soon as there would be something to test. So browsing for testers before you have something to test ^^. Sort of like looking for testers for a TV wich is still only on blueprints in the factory :P

Originally Posted by Goldpaw View Post
You can't, yet. Currently I'm just scouting for testers. I'll let you know when I let the potential testers know.
but then again, i think nightcracker only wants to check the core code to see if you didn't take anything from him :P

but what the heck, count me in. My screen res is 1680x1050 and i got a 1600x900 res on my laptop, so i can test 2 resolutions for you if needed.

i think i even have my old computer screen tucked away somewhere with a res of 1280x1024 but not too sure about that.

Last edited by contramundi : 03-09-10 at 04:01 AM.
03-10-10, 04:19 AM   #15
Goldpaw
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by contramundi View Post
Well,
but then again, i think nightcracker only wants to check the core code to see if you didn't take anything from him :P
Of course. As stated, several addons are embedded and included in their unmodified state in my UI - all according to whatever GPL or otherwise license they were released under - and the authors will be credited and their addons linked to on the download page of this UI when I release it. I will never attempt to take credit for the work of somebody else.

And to answer what somebody might have a question about: The infopanels were written by me. I did not use kgPanels, or Tukz' ones or any existing ones. I could have, it would sure have been easier for me, but in this case I chose to make them myself thus to have better control over them. With the exception of highly configurable addons like oUF and cargBags, I largely prefer to make my own versions of things, thus to fit whatever I do better.

Anyway, enough of that!

Thanks to everybody for their kind replies. I will get back to those interested soon, in a few days. Both the ones that replied here in this thread, and the ones that PM'ed me.
03-10-10, 07:03 AM   #16
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

I'm sorry for the negative vibe, didn't mean it that way

You are free to use my core code, it just seemed as if you stole it without saying my or Tukz's name. If you just leave a small note somewhere(in the code, on the download page, IDC) then your allowed to use any code of me

Succes with your UI!
03-10-10, 08:18 AM   #17
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

This isn't directed at anyone in particular.

If people are going to assume that someone has taken something of theirs without permission, it's much better to take it to private PM's rather than make it public where there might be a chance to get everyone in the community all riled up. That's totally unnecessary. If one thinks that things will not remain civil in PM's, I'm sure one of the core admins here would step in and help mediate things if you ask them to.
03-10-10, 09:38 AM   #18
Goldpaw
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
I'm sorry for the negative vibe, didn't mean it that way

You are free to use my core code, it just seemed as if you stole it without saying my or Tukz's name. If you just leave a small note somewhere(in the code, on the download page, IDC) then your allowed to use any code of me

Succes with your UI!
Don't worry. You two will be mentioned no matter what, as sources of inspiration. I truly admire the work of both of you, and without it I would never have started to develop my own UI.

And just to state it one final time for all to see: This UI does not have a website yet, nor a download location. Therefore a lot of info may appear to be "missing". When it's ready, I'll of course include a full list of embedded addons, as well as the names and works of anybody that in some way has contributed.
03-25-10, 06:09 AM   #19
Goldpaw
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
/bump
Updated the original post with a link.
06-17-10, 03:37 AM   #20
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Goldpaw, please don't link to offsite download locations. We don't allow them on our site as there is no way we can guarantee the safety of the file for our users if it isn't on our site. That is not to say that you are (or would) attempting to distribute anything malicious, but there are too many that would, hence our policy. It's to protect everyone involved.

If you would like to have users of this site able to download and test it for you, please feel free to upload it here.

Thank you for your understanding.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Alpha/Beta AddOns and Compilations » Looking for willing betatesters for my UI package