01-21-05, 01:14 PM   #1
FireFlash
A Murloc Raider
Question Way to measure distance

Hey.

I am aware that there is already a mod out there that will measure distance between you and a designated target (TargetDistance from Cosmos). However, that uses a measure-method that is not completely precise.

And I was wondering... The Blizzard UI must have some way of measuring the distance, since spells in the hotbar will glow red/white when out of range/within range - but is this some hardcoded stuff or are they actually measuring this through LUA? If somebody with the time and understanding of LUA could look into this, I would be grateful.
01-21-05, 01:47 PM   #2
Cide
Swedeheart
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Well, you can't use that function to measure target distance. I'm fairly certain it just returns if the ability ID is castable from the current range. Cosmos' (and CTMod's, which I don't think we released due to its faults) TargetDistance mod relies on the difference between the positions on the map. In order to make a precise calculation, we would need the height difference between the characters too. Unfortunately, that's not possible to get.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Way to measure distance