06-27-11, 10:13 AM   #1
madanasta
A Murloc Raider
Zone music filename currently playing

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone can think of a way to get the filename of the zone music file currently playing (e.g., have it displayed on the client or have it printed out as a result of some macro call). I can't seem to be able to find info on neither events being fired when a sound file starts/stops playing (which makes sense, I guess) nor some API call that would return that information. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

m
06-27-11, 10:52 AM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
You could always look here: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...Cataclysm.html
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

06-27-11, 11:38 AM   #3
madanasta
A Murloc Raider
While undoubtedly a useful list, I'm not sure if it can help me.

m
06-27-11, 12:31 PM   #4
Vlad
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
No API to get the "currently playing" music BUT you could if the game uses the normal API calls to play music override the PlayMusic like:

Code:
local played = {}
local orig = PlayMusic
function PlayMusic(file, ...)
  table.insert(played, file)
  return orig(file, ...)
end
The table bottom result (like "played[#played]") is always the current playing file.
06-27-11, 12:44 PM   #5
madanasta
A Murloc Raider
Very interesting! Thanks, I will try that.

m
06-27-11, 03:21 PM   #6
madanasta
A Murloc Raider
Well, I overrode PlayMusic (as well as PlaySound and PlaySoundFile just to be on the safe side) and confirmed that my version is indeed running when I manually call it... but, unfortunately, the client does not seem to use it when playing zone music (even though calling PlayMusic will make zone music playback stop, so I guess it is the same audio playback infrastructure that's used in both cases). In any case, it was an interesting idea, thanks .

m
06-27-11, 04:43 PM   #7
Vlad
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I was afraid of that, the game usually uses their own interface hence we can't override the "core" version of the API but only the front end one that the interface uses, usually any API used in FrameXML can be overridden (and broken if secure/protected).

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Zone music filename currently playing