05-27-09, 07:42 AM   #1
BullZhot
A Defias Bandit
Windows 7

Hey, I have successfully installed my minion beta. One thing I found a bit odd was that it detected my OS to be Windows Vista, since you do say you support Windows 7
I am running 64 bit.

Anyways, thats not really a problem, my problem is that whenever I open minion, after a while, it tells me for every addon I have (even those from wowinterface): "Addon not available"
Underneath in the MMOUI-WOW window it says "Could not download the news feed"
And, I am writing this here at the same time, so not like I am offline :P

Oh, and if it helps, when I look at the modules, in the "Available version" section, it says, "Error while searching". I will try to reboot since I need to do so for something else anyway, it might be some permission thing in windows that isn't allowing the program to go online.

Last edited by BullZhot : 05-27-09 at 07:47 AM.
05-27-09, 08:15 AM   #2
BullZhot
A Defias Bandit
Solution to my own problem if anyone has the same :)

Ok, so I found the solution to my own problem but not enough space to edit it from the last :P

This might be a problem on some vista machines too, don't know about that. But I opened the Network and Sharing Center. Down left corner is Windows Firewall, when that is open, look up left (again in the blue collumn thing) go to "Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall". Then "Change Settings" and "Allow another program..." Then Browse for the minion.jar file wherever you installed minion and add that jar file, it won't show up but you can still type the name minion.jar
When that is added, make sure it uses that rule for the network you are currently using (Home/Public or whatever).

That worked for me
05-27-09, 08:39 AM   #3
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
As for Windows 7 being detected as Vista, I know; I've had the same issue. This information is supplied to me straight from Java, and I guess it boils down to Java deciding v6.0+ means Vista. Why they would do that, I don't know, but it's the only logical reason to me.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
05-27-09, 09:46 AM   #4
Listra
A Murloc Raider
I run win7 64-bit too, but have not had that problem with the firewall.
Absolutely love the Minion!!!
Thank you for all the hard work you have done for the rest of us Shirik!
05-27-09, 07:25 PM   #5
DJP
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Shirik View Post
As for Windows 7 being detected as Vista, I know; I've had the same issue. This information is supplied to me straight from Java, and I guess it boils down to Java deciding v6.0+ means Vista. Why they would do that, I don't know, but it's the only logical reason to me.
Even MS's own WSUS (Windows Update Services) reports Win7 as Vista
Must be something with Win7

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Windows 7