05-27-09, 09:49 AM   #1
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Preferences/module settings and Reloading addons to update list

I was playing around with the new minion thingy when I come across something that kinda annoys me. I'm not sure if it's a bug or a fault of design so I thought I'd bring it here for discussion first.

When changing options in Tools->Module Center or Tools->Options Minion will reload the addons list and recheck which versions are the most updated ones. Even if you haven't actually changed any options at all it still reloads the list.

Now don't take this the wrong way but i find that a little wasteful in terms of time,processing and bandwidth. I come from NZ land of the until recently expensive bandwidth and nervous sheep (we used to pay by the MB). I don't say this to be mean or unkind but IMHO it makes minion look a little geriatric , like it cant remember stuff it's just find out and oh dear it's just dropped its glasses and forgot where it put them ....

My suggestion would be when you change a preference that warrants a reload of a module to set a special bit. When you click "ok" it'll check this bit to say if it needs to reload a module or not. Of course clicking "cancel" won't do any reloading at all (you haven't changed any preferences necessary for the list to be reloaded)
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Preferences/module settings and Reloading addons to update list