10-14-09, 09:18 PM   #1
Darktongue
A Kobold Labourer
Any chance of not spamming everyone ??

Dont use this addon and dont intend to as i have something else running that deos job just as well.

However in guild there are folk using this addon and they are sending me masses of data without realising. This Addon needs to be better written imho and stop spamming EVERYONE who has add on or NOT.
I cant leave any frikkin hidden channel before someone comes along and tells me to since, i dont have the addon in first place.

ONLY way to stop it is to /ignore the guildie whos running the addon.

Bad bad code . Sort it please.

10-14-09, 10:00 PM   #2
Phantom
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Darktongue View Post
Dont use this addon and dont intend to as i have something else running that deos job just as well.

However in guild there are folk using this addon and they are sending me masses of data without realising. This Addon needs to be better written imho and stop spamming EVERYONE who has add on or NOT.
I cant leave any frikkin hidden channel before someone comes along and tells me to since, i dont have the addon in first place.

ONLY way to stop it is to /ignore the guildie whos running the addon.

Bad bad code . Sort it please.
You are joining those channels because some add-on also use it.

I am not sure what your complaint is exactly.

10-15-09, 05:57 AM   #3
Bornabe
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
He's right, you've got another AddOn which is using the same Channel. I don't use Carbonite either as I don't like it's clutterness, but it's a very well coded design and very efficient at what it's designed to do.

What is the channel you're being joined to? Maybe one of us can recognize the addon that uses it so you can disable it to stop having this problem.

10-16-09, 01:57 PM   #4
harrywolfe
A Kobold Labourer
Angry

Originally Posted by Bornabe View Post
He's right, you've got another AddOn which is using the same Channel. I don't use Carbonite either as I don't like it's clutterness, but it's a very well coded design and very efficient at what it's designed to do.

What is the channel you're being joined to? Maybe one of us can recognize the addon that uses it so you can disable it to stop having this problem.
The problem is that alot of add'ons require up to date information to maintain their abilities. DBM tends to spam alot as well, as do some libs., like lib guild position. Carbonite tends to spam for quest info, position, punks and I'm sure other information as well.

These add-ons create channels and talk to each other or your interface, it isnt something you can see normally:
I suggest getting an add-on called SpamFu if you wish to be able to see the spam, and how much of your Net Bandwidth is being chewed by them. Thats Net bandwidth not Ram btw.

My main pet peeve add-on is Gear Score whcich sends out ludicris amounts of spam to all Guildies, and anyone you've gear checked(past fututre and present): i've checked during raids and there are occasions when EACH gear score mod is spamming EVERYONE in the raid for 128kb/s*, now THAT is excessive.

10-17-09, 12:40 PM   #5
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Most addons are using party, raid or guild channels for their data, which are not something you can join or leave. They are automatic channels Blizzard made specifically for addons and are pretty efficient for what they do. The whole point of the guild channel is to easily and efficiently send the data to that group of people. The only way to not get that data is to not be in the guild or convince your guild members to stop using the addons. Granted addons can be sending excessive amounts of data on those channels, but that is up to each addon author to determine or fix. I feel Carbonite sends a reasonable amount of guild data for what it is doing.

12-10-09, 04:21 AM   #6
Stijn
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by carboniteaddon View Post
I feel Carbonite sends a reasonable amount of guild data for what it is doing.
Well here's the thing. I do not have Carbonite. Someone with it should not keep on sending me data. If I don't have it, it should see that from the first time and then leave me alone.

12-10-09, 09:54 AM   #7
Chmee
A Molten Giant
It's a broadcast world. Live with it.

12-10-09, 02:43 PM   #8
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
Well here's the thing. I do not have Carbonite. Someone with it should not keep on sending me data. If I don't have it, it should see that from the first time and then leave me alone.
The guild addon channel goes to everyone always. It even sends your own data back to you. Blizzard added that channel to efficiently send data to the guild instead of addons sending it individually to lots of people.

Did a little test with Wireshark and AddonSpamFu this afternoon in Dalaran. Running around in a circle on my lock for 2 mins, so Carb would send a regular stream of updates every 3.1 seconds, I received from the server the following:

Carbonite 2.2K bytes, .15%, 18 bytes/second
Total 1391K bytes, 11591 bytes/second

If 100 people in my guild had Carb and were all running around at the same time I would get 220K of Carb data, which would be 15% of the total data I'm getting in Dalaran. Seems well below what the game can handle.

12-11-09, 01:27 PM   #9
Stijn
A Murloc Raider
Your logic is flawed. If a few addon authors think like that, you can get up to 500 kB/s of unnecessary data. Some people don't have such great connections, and thus disconnect.

12-11-09, 01:39 PM   #10
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
Your logic is flawed. If a few addon authors think like that, you can get up to 500 kB/s of unnecessary data. Some people don't have such great connections, and thus disconnect.
My logic was worse case and not many addons need to send that type of data. You are in a guild that has a 100 Carbonite users all playing at the same time? How many are actually in your guild using Carbonite, logged in at the same and playing?

12-11-09, 02:08 PM   #11
Stijn
A Murloc Raider
Does that matter? Just implement a check to see if a user got Carbonite. If he or she does, keep sending data. If he or she does not, stop sending data. That's all I ask.

12-11-09, 02:54 PM   #12
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Yes, real world conditions are all that matter, since designing something for a condition that never happens would be pointless.

There is no way to send data to the addon guild channel, but exclude certain players. It is all or nothing. Blizzard would have to add that ability.

01-02-10, 06:47 PM   #13
Kerecha
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Well can you atleast add the check to non guild sending?

I keep getting spammed in whisper by carbonite and i would prefer not having to put the ppl on itgnore, but if nothing is done from author side to atleast block the addon from whispering ppl without it i don't any options left.

Just tested, not even ignoring the player stopps the "¤#"¤# spam...

There had to be some way to not get spammed by this addon...

Last edited by Kerecha : 01-02-10 at 07:13 PM.

01-02-10, 07:15 PM   #14
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If you yourself don't have Carb installed, and want your friend to stop spamming you, I would suggest you tell them to:

Type "/Carb options" in the chat screen.

Once in the Options menu, go to the "Privacy and Comm" section.

Uncheck the boxes that pertain to Friends.

For clarification, see the screenshot I've attached of that particular menu.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_010210_201142.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	357.8 KB
ID:	3789  

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Any chance of not spamming everyone ??