03-26-11, 12:36 PM   #1
docsleazy
A Murloc Raider
Nameplates (Not sure if it's possible)

I was wondering if there was some way to have nameplates off but, when targeting a Player Character or NPC if the Nameplate for just that Target would appear to make finding who I am targeting easier. I have recently gotten into pvp and in BGS it's rather hard for me to chase down who I am attacking with all the nameplates off. Or if there is maybe some sort of targeting addon or some way to make the target stand out more... Please no flame :].

Thanks in advance.
03-26-11, 01:21 PM   #2
Duugu
Premium Member

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
It's not possible to enable nameplatess one by one. It's a all or nothing thingi.

It is possible to modify the nameplate of your target to be mor distinct. (highlight, size, frame, font, whatever)
I would say almost every nameplate addon is capable to do this ... more or less.
03-26-11, 01:23 PM   #3
kraftman
A Theradrim Guardian
Originally Posted by Duugu View Post
It's not possible to enable nameplatess one by one. It's a all or nothing thingi.

It is possible to modify the nameplate of your target to be mor distinct. (highlight, size, frame, font, whatever)
I would say almost every nameplate addon is capable to do this ... more or less.
I don't see any reason why you couldnt hide the nameplates for every player except the target.
03-26-11, 01:25 PM   #4
Duugu
Premium Member

Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
I don't see any reason why you couldnt hide the nameplates for every player except the target.
The reason is, if you hide them all there's nothing left for these units.
The standard names/guild names/whatever are disabled if nameplates are enabled, or not?
03-26-11, 01:26 PM   #5
docsleazy
A Murloc Raider

I would say alm]ost every nameplate addon is capable to do this ... more or less.
I have been looking at TidyPlates I'll have to give that a shot.

Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
Any idea of anything or anyway to do this if you think it's possible? I am fairly new to the UI changing and PVPing also.. and I get lost in bgs so easily lol.

Edit: I figured it out XD Thanks.. In tidyplates it has an option to make Target Opacity to 100% and Non Target to 0% so when I have a target they all disappear.

Last edited by docsleazy : 03-26-11 at 01:46 PM.
03-26-11, 01:54 PM   #6
Duugu
Premium Member

The reason is, if you hide them all there's nothing left for these units.
The standard names/guild names/whatever are disabled if nameplates are enabled, or not?
I did a short test to prove this. It's exactly as expected.
Enable nameplates, place youself in front of 2+ units. Target a unit and use the following code snippet
Code:
for i = 2, WorldFrame:GetNumChildren() do 
    local frame = select(i, WorldFrame:GetChildren()) 
    local glowRegion = frame:GetRegions()
    if glowRegion then
        if frame:GetAlpha() < 1 then 
            frame:Hide()
        else
            frame:Show()
        end

end
end
Nothing left except for your target. Not very usefull imho.

Last edited by Duugu : 03-26-11 at 01:58 PM.
03-26-11, 02:03 PM   #7
docsleazy
A Murloc Raider
I did a short test to prove this. It's exactly as expected.
Enable nameplates, place youself in front of 2+ units. Target a unit and use the following code snippet
Code:
for i = 2, WorldFrame:GetNumChildren() do 
    local frame = select(i, WorldFrame:GetChildren()) 
    local glowRegion = frame:GetRegions()
    if glowRegion then
        if frame:GetAlpha() < 1 then 
            frame:Hide()
        else
            frame:Show()
        end

end
end
Nothing left except for your target. Not very usefull imho.
It's usefull for me easier to follow when i have about 10-15 other enemies around and I am trying to focus on one target in pvp... so when the person is running from me easier for me to chase them down.
03-26-11, 02:07 PM   #8
Duugu
Premium Member

Originally Posted by docsleazy View Post
It's usefull for me easier to follow when i have about 10-15 other enemies around and I am trying to focus on one target in pvp... so when the person is running from me easier for me to chase them down.
Well then give me a few minutes to set up a short code snippet you could add somewhere.
03-26-11, 02:15 PM   #9
docsleazy
A Murloc Raider
Well then give me a few minutes to set up a short code snippet you could add somewhere.
Ok =] Thanks a ton.
03-26-11, 03:20 PM   #10
Duugu
Premium Member

Just uploaded a small addon for this: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...lateHider.html
03-26-11, 03:22 PM   #11
docsleazy
A Murloc Raider
Thank's i'll give that a try as soon as I get home.
03-26-11, 07:08 PM   #12
Dawn
A Molten Giant

You should NOT tunnel vision like that in PvP.

Just one simple example for why hiding all other nameplates is stupid: You tunnel vision your selected target, while there's at least one other LOW health target nearby that would have been dead if you switched.

Seriously, if you only want a "nameplate" for your selected target you could aswell put your target frame in the middle of your screen and don't use nameplates at all.

Besides, having to use un-throttled OnUpdates for such a stupid thing is a waste of resources.

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

03-26-11, 07:52 PM   #13
Crissa
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

But it certainly would help for when your target jinks through other players/objects and you're trying to finish them.

-Crissa
03-26-11, 08:01 PM   #14
Dawn
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Crissa View Post
But it certainly would help for when your target jinks through other players/objects and you're trying to finish them.

-Crissa
How? If it's in range, it's in range. On top of that, a selected plate is more visible than others already.

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

03-26-11, 10:47 PM   #15
Rigorous
Noggenfogger Anonymous

Yeah! We can't have people personalizing their UI for their own tastes and desires. That would be stupid!

/sarcasm off

While, as someone who has spent more time in BGs than doing anything else in WoW, I may agree with what Dawn is saying...I'm a little fed up with how it is said...when did seemingly everyone in WoW become a PMSing 13 year old girl?

The OP could have just gone to the official forums if they wanted to be called "stupid" repeatedly, despite the fact that the extent of their failure is simply to be a bit of a PvP noob, which we all were (or will be) once. Dawn, give them a little time to learn the error of their ways on their own before you go insulting their intelligence, eh?
"I guess I kinda lost control, because in the middle of the play I ran up and lit the evil puppet villain on fire. No, I didn't. Just kidding. I just said that to help illustrate one of the human emotions, which is freaking out. Another emotion is greed, as when you kill someone for money, or something like that. Another emotion is generosity, as when you pay someone double what he paid for his stupid puppet." - Jack Handy
03-27-11, 03:13 AM   #16
Duugu
Premium Member

I made some changes within the addon. It now resets the nameplates for all units that are not your target to the basic non-nameplate view instead of simply hide them.

That should be much more usefull.
03-27-11, 04:40 AM   #17
Dawn
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Rigorous View Post
Yeah! We can't have people personalizing their UI for their own tastes and desires. That would be stupid!

/sarcasm off

While, as someone who has spent more time in BGs than doing anything else in WoW, I may agree with what Dawn is saying...I'm a little fed up with how it is said...when did seemingly everyone in WoW become a PMSing 13 year old girl?

The OP could have just gone to the official forums if they wanted to be called "stupid" repeatedly, despite the fact that the extent of their failure is simply to be a bit of a PvP noob, which we all were (or will be) once. Dawn, give them a little time to learn the error of their ways on their own before you go insulting their intelligence, eh?
I agree, that I might have gone a little over the edge.

I'm sorry for that, didn't meant to insult the OP.

It's just that tunnel vision like that is happening all day in battlegrounds/PvP which makes me just very ... sad. And it is really not something that should be supported, imho. Better?

03-27-11, 08:47 AM   #18
Aprikot
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
...if you only want a "nameplate" for your selected target you could aswell put your target frame in the middle of your screen and don't use nameplates at all.
I agree. Namplates = situational awareness for me. Be it instant class recognition when an enemy and I simultaneouly arrive at an herb node, or as was mentioned, prioritizing targets in combat.

Also for tracking druids around pillars. /cry

Edit:

Originally Posted by docsleazy View Post
to make finding who I am targeting easier.
I get what you mean now. Yeah i can see this being helpful in crappy terrain or huge crowds, or whatevr. Also against 5+ undead rogues named xxlawlxx

Last edited by Aprikot : 03-27-11 at 10:23 AM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Nameplates (Not sure if it's possible)