07-01-12, 09:29 AM   #1
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Ion Alpha

The new version of Macaroon (named Ion) is now in alpha testing on the MoP beta.

If you wish to have access to the google group for the alpha, please email me at [email protected].

Please note that due to changes in Mists, the Ion Alpha will not work on the live version of the game.

Thanks!
07-02-12, 07:09 PM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

Emailed. Looking forward to it... Macaroon is probably the most important addon in my UI.
08-30-12, 10:34 PM   #3
Aanson
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I'll second that.

Couldn't agree more Phanx, same here. Maul, I read a post from you a good while ago when you were saying that Macaroon wasn't going to receive any more TLC, just band-aids to help it limp along. You'd mentioned then that you were working on it's successor, but I still couldn't help but feel a bit gutted about Macaroon.

I always loved how Macaroon offers everything that other similar mods don't. It's complexity was amazing coupled with the fact that it was so easy to use (after a few weeks of head scratching lol).

I can't wait to use Ion. Unfortunately, I'll need to wait for the release of MoP, as I'm not on the test realms.

Thanks so much for such a mind blowing addon; without it I'd still be a clicker. I'll buy you a coke one day soon. Promise! Keep up the great work m8!

I can best sum it up by saying that if I'd lost Macaroon at one point during the last couple of years, the game wouldn't have been worth playing any more.
08-31-12, 06:28 AM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

"MoP" in this context means Patch 5.0.4, so unless you're in a region that hasn't updated yet, you can use Ion right now, and Macaroon shouldn't be working.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck using Bartender for now, as Ion isn't really usable for me in its current state, with no support for custom state definitions, dual spec swapping, or even different bar layouts/keybindings for different characters. The loss of Macaroon_Bound is pretty painful, too. I couldn't find an up-to-date direct-binding addon for spells/macros, so I've had to resort to filling up a Lua file with class checks and tons of SetOverrideBinding lines.

Ion's completion is probably the most-anticipated addon event of my life.
08-31-12, 02:03 PM   #5
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

Originally Posted by Aanson View Post
Couldn't agree more Phanx, same here. Maul, I read a post from you a good while ago when you were saying that Macaroon wasn't going to receive any more TLC, just band-aids to help it limp along. You'd mentioned then that you were working on it's successor, but I still couldn't help but feel a bit gutted about Macaroon.

I always loved how Macaroon offers everything that other similar mods don't. It's complexity was amazing coupled with the fact that it was so easy to use (after a few weeks of head scratching lol).
Ion will have all of the complexity of Macaroon, and even more so. And while Ion is a new name, really it is the continuation of Macaroon, and Macaroon was a continuation of Trinity Bars (which was a continuation of Trinity Buttons)

If there one personality quirk I have, it is that I seek change. Ion was a complete re-thinking of how I approach the problem of a complex macro/action bar addon and I wanted to reflect that in the name.

I can best sum it up by saying that if I'd lost Macaroon at one point during the last couple of years, the game wouldn't have been worth playing any more.
Things like this are often that what drives me to continue to make addons

Twitter: @IonMaul | Windows Live: [email protected] | Google Talk: [email protected]
08-31-12, 02:11 PM   #6
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Unfortunately, I'm stuck using Bartender for now, as Ion isn't really usable for me in its current state, with no support for custom state definitions, dual spec swapping, or even different bar layouts/keybindings for different characters. The loss of Macaroon_Bound is pretty painful, too. I couldn't find an up-to-date direct-binding addon for spells/macros, so I've had to resort to filling up a Lua file with class checks and tons of SetOverrideBinding lines.

Ion's completion is probably the most-anticipated addon event of my life.
I plan to get the custom stuff in very soon. Since the plan is to introduce custom visibility, I wanted to get the GUI for visibility done first before I got the custom action states working.

The layouts and profiles really need to wait until I can get the whole bar group feature established and solid. Bar groups are essentially what Macaroon did natively with unique buttons in each state, but with the approach of Ion I took (simple if you want it simple), I have to build up to that functionality, which has been a complex process.

Twitter: @IonMaul | Windows Live: [email protected] | Google Talk: [email protected]
08-31-12, 06:32 PM   #7
Phanx
Cat.

Yeah, unfortunately for me, separate settings for characters, and bar groups, are the most important parts of my bar setup. Based on your earlier description of how bar grouping will work in Ion -- creating separate bars by hand, setting up visibility so that each was visible in a different state and hidden in all others by hand, and then placing them in the same location on the screen by hand -- it's going to be a LOT more work than it was in Macaroon, but I guess I'll live.
08-31-12, 07:51 PM   #8
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

Yeah, unfortunately for me, separate settings for characters, and bar groups, are the most important parts of my bar setup. Based on your earlier description of how bar grouping will work in Ion -- creating separate bars by hand, setting up visibility so that each was visible in a different state and hidden in all others by hand, and then placing them in the same location on the screen by hand -- it's going to be a LOT more work than it was in Macaroon, but I guess I'll live.
Well, I hope to make the Bar Group creation process easy and not a whole lot of "making things by hand first". In addition, placement of all bars in a group will be as simple as telling how you want the bars in a group to be aligned. You can have the bars justified left or right, top or bottom. Ion will take care of the placement.

In fact, with the way it is going, it will almost be like two addons in one. The "simple" Ion addon, with simple bars. And the Trinity/Macaroon style addon. All based on if a bar is a stand alone or a actually a bar group.

I am trying to adopt Blizzard's own philosophy, "Easy to learn, difficult to master". In this context, many new users can start using Ion with ease without needed "Customer Service" just to get up to speed. And then for the users that want to take the red pill and see how deep the rabbit hole can go in custom bar addons, I hope to sate those needs as well

09-02-12, 03:42 PM   #9
Raederle
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I'll be delighted when we have the profiles again. With 30 characters across three servers all sharing the same dozen bars and keybinds, I do not want to set up from scratch 30 times!

Thank you for doing the overhaul Maul. Without Macaroon (now Ion), pitbull, clique and moveanything I wouldn't still be playing WoW. And of that collection yours is the least substitutable.

Best Regards, Raederle
09-02-12, 06:22 PM   #10
BadCo
A Murloc Raider
Same for me about this being THE most important addon... w/o Macaroon, I just do NOT play WoW, I've been tinkering with Ion since Tuesday.

I look forward to being able to get my bars to let me do the quests in Dark Moon Faire. The "vehicle and possession" attributes do not seem to be working yet.

Press on Maul... many of us won't play the game without Ion. And thanx so much for the work u've put in the last several years.

Last edited by BadCo : 09-02-12 at 09:01 PM.
09-21-12, 10:54 PM   #11
thespillmonkey
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Raederle View Post
I'll be delighted when we have the profiles again. With 30 characters across three servers all sharing the same dozen bars and keybinds, I do not want to set up from scratch 30 times!

Thank you for doing the overhaul Maul. Without Macaroon (now Ion), pitbull, clique and moveanything I wouldn't still be playing WoW. And of that collection yours is the least substitutable.

Best Regards, Raederle
Profiles are working again? Am i missing them somewhere ?
09-22-12, 08:38 PM   #12
Phaedre
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by thespillmonkey
Originally Posted by Raederle
I'll be delighted when we have the profiles again...
Profiles are working again? Am i missing them somewhere ?
The operative word is "when".

So, no at this time, profiles have not been implemented. Dual Spec has.
10-17-12, 03:51 PM   #13
thespillmonkey
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Is ion / maul dead? No word for weeks now....
10-17-12, 05:36 PM   #14
Amy84
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by thespillmonkey View Post
Is ion / maul dead? No word for weeks now....
+1

I'm refreshing this forum like crazy in the hope of any new information
10-18-12, 07:52 AM   #15
dpwr
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Amy84 View Post
+1

I'm refreshing this forum like crazy in the hope of any new information
He's been super busy, he posted a few day ago saying sorry and that he'd be doing smore more updates soon. Fear not!
10-19-12, 09:11 AM   #16
Balurion
A Defias Bandit
I'm still playing with this addon I feel beautiful as the trinity and how the macaroon macaroon although he had many more functions such as saving profiles. but it is simply a possible option for me without at least right click launch on themselves. and can implement this feature at least I'd be very grateful please
10-19-12, 10:45 AM   #17
Trimble Epic
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Balurion View Post
I'm still playing with this addon I feel beautiful as the trinity and how the macaroon macaroon although he had many more functions such as saving profiles. but it is simply a possible option for me without at least right click launch on themselves. and can implement this feature at least I'd be very grateful please
I'm going to guess english isn't your first language. I'm also going to guess that you're trying to ask if Ion can be made to respond to right-clicking a button. If i'm wrong, let me know.

So, if you're trying to make a button that does something specific when you right click on it, you can use a macro conditional within a macro to do that. The great thing about Ion (and macaroon and Trinity before it) is that you can afford to make long macros.

The specific conditional you would want is [BUTTON:2]. You can read more about it here.

Let's look at an example. I'm a Shadow Priest. Let's say I want a button that will cast Mind Flay on my target. Here's the macro.

/cast Mind Flay

Now, let's say I want to cast Shadow Word: Pain if I right click instead...

/cast [button:2] Shadow Word: Pain; Mind Flay

Macros resolve from left to right, and stop when they try to cast a spell (usually). So, in this case, I put SW:P first. It checks if I clicked with the right mouse button (2) first, and if I did, it casts SW:P... otherwise, it casts Mind Flay.

Pretty simple.

Alternatively, I could write it backwards like this:

/cast [nobutton:2] Mind Flay; Shadow Word: Pain

What this does is check: Did I click with any mouse button other than right click? If so, cast Mind flay. Otherwise, cast SW:P. The difference doesn't mean anything in this simple example, but I include it to show the "no" version does exists.
10-19-12, 05:46 PM   #18
Phanx
Cat.

I think he's asking about right-click self-casting, in which case the syntax would be:

Code:
/cast [button:2, @player] [] Flash Heal
This means "if clicked with the right button, cast Flash Heal on the player; otherwise, cast Flash Heal like normal".
10-19-12, 11:01 PM   #19
Balurion
A Defias Bandit
I think he's asking about right-click self-casting, in which case the syntax would be:

Code:
/cast [button:2, @player] [] Flash Heal
This means "if clicked with the right button, cast Flash Heal on the player; otherwise, cast Flash Heal like normal".
sorry for my english but I'm using google translate. thanks for the help I meant to say this, I did not want to use macros for this function because in the previous version of the macaroon was present in the main menu if I remember correctly there was both right and with the shift and then because I have so many icons : P. .. cmq thanks and good work

Last edited by Balurion : 10-23-12 at 05:26 AM.
10-20-12, 04:41 AM   #20
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Balurion View Post
I did not want to use macros for this function because in the previous version of the macaroon was present in the main menu
You are correct. There was an option in Macaroon. I'm sure Maul will add that option to Ion when he has time. For now, though, you have to use a macro. The old option also used a macro -- it just wrote the macro for you automatically.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Ion Engines, Engage! » Ion Alpha