12-04-07, 07:27 AM   #1
undeserving
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
making own "custom" ui... a lil'assistance needed!

So, reason for this is that i play in 1280x800 resolution - it seems to be quite rare and none of the popular compilations support it - afaik.

My questions are quite simple i hope -

1. without starting a massive debate - bongos or bartender? I cant quite decide which is better so i was wondering if anyone knew the definitive answer with memory load being the deciding factor!

2. Using the normal video setting's UI scale set to maximum, addon icons/menu text and the regular wow windows - loot, character, spell book etc become insanely small. I've tried to find the answer to this myself but i cant quite seem to get everything back to a normal looking size. - I've tried fluidframes and clearfont with the "apply to addons" (font sizes) checked but the menus are still impossible to read.

thanks so much in advance for any advice. I might have some more questions later but i think that's enough for now.

if anyone is even remotely interested - here is screen of ui (just to prove it exists!)
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...407_124955.jpg
it's not finished yet, need to work on buff and cooldown bars....

oh that reminds me, Chronometer keeps vanishing from my screen @ zone - the /chron reset didnt bring it back. any ideas? - other addons that do the same or some way to glue it in place?
ok really last thing - Squeenix or whatever the Ace minimap thing is called - I need something else, every time i zone it relocates to top center of my monitor... What other minimaps are there - preferably that i can hide all the buttons and make it square!

yet again, thanks in advance for both reading and replying (constructively) !
12-04-07, 08:14 AM   #2
undeserving
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by undeserving
oh that reminds me, Chronometer keeps vanishing from my screen @ zone - the /chron reset didnt bring it back. any ideas? - other addons that do the same or some way to glue it in place?
ok really last thing - Squeenix or whatever the Ace minimap thing is called - I need something else, every time i zone it relocates to top center of my monitor... What other minimaps are there - preferably that i can hide all the buttons and make it square!
quick update - the minimap isn't moving anymore, i realised that bongos has a minimap anchor which i hadn't placed correctly. squeenix and bonogs were fighting over position.
replaced Chronometer with Sorren's Timers since Chronometer doesn't seem to recognize anything more than 2 debuffs at a time so it's pretty useless.

A small extension of the original Minimap question tho - I noticed that my default quest tracker and the "progress bar" which displays control of bases in EoS, HFP, terrokar etc... are anchored to the bottom of the minimap - now I've placed the map in bottom center of screen they're poking off the bottom.
Anyone know how i can unlock them and reposition them and/or another minimap addon that has the ability to do this?!

thanks (again) for assistance.
12-05-07, 07:00 AM   #3
Delena
A Cyclonian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by undeserving
So, reason for this is that i play in 1280x800 resolution - it seems to be quite rare and none of the popular compilations support it - afaik.

My questions are quite simple i hope -

1. without starting a massive debate - bongos or bartender? I cant quite decide which is better so i was wondering if anyone knew the definitive answer with memory load being the deciding factor!

2. Using the normal video setting's UI scale set to maximum, addon icons/menu text and the regular wow windows - loot, character, spell book etc become insanely small. I've tried to find the answer to this myself but i cant quite seem to get everything back to a normal looking size. - I've tried fluidframes and clearfont with the "apply to addons" (font sizes) checked but the menus are still impossible to read.

thanks so much in advance for any advice. I might have some more questions later but i think that's enough for now.

if anyone is even remotely interested - here is screen of ui (just to prove it exists!)
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...407_124955.jpg
it's not finished yet, need to work on buff and cooldown bars....

yet again, thanks in advance for both reading and replying (constructively) !
I prefer bartender3, but bongos is good as well.
Try to don't use the UI scale.
For the cooldown bars ClassTimer is very nice for pvp, and Natur EnemyCastbar.
For the Minimap I use simpleMinimap, is an ace mod and has all the options you need.
12-05-07, 10:54 AM   #4
undeserving
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
thanks for the advice delena - after much hassle and messing around i had come to the same conclusion about UI scale. Way too much trouble.

i will look into ClassTimer and simpleMinimap now

thanks again
12-05-07, 11:28 AM   #5
zero_fenix
A Murloc Raider
Use simpleMinimap it has anchors (called "movers") that let you move your dura armored guy, quest tracking, the capture bar, and the quest timer.

Personally I use bongos, started off using bartender but I like bongos better, but that's just my preference.

We have a similar design layout for the ui so I'll show you what mine looks like if you want some idea.

http://i7.tinypic.com/6z4ggsp.jpg

Also, quartz cast bars have a built in "buff tracker" that lets you track the time left on your targets buffs and debuffs which does the same thing as chronometer and natur, I use it now since I'm a priest I track dots. Nature was a bit bloated and I couldn't figure out how to shut off all the stuff I didn't want but that may have been my own stupidity. On the other hand natur shows when diminishing returns are up which I'd love to have.
12-05-07, 02:19 PM   #6
Slakah
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If you want an insanely simple map mod which will make it square and get rid of the minimap buttons I would suggest oMinimap, also bongos.
12-06-07, 07:17 PM   #7
undeserving
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
thanks ppl for the advice!

i've settled with bongos as i love the "on the fly" binding system it uses!
i also took the advice of del, got simpleminimap and discovered the "movers" for the normally-anchored-to-minimap things that i wanted to move. Thanks zero for pointing them out.

If anyone reads this and is looking for similar advice - simpleminimap was _exactly_ what i was looking for!

as for timer bars... i really dont like the built in ones with quartz. i've been using NECB for as long as i can remember - there's just a few things that it doesn't pickup but in general it's perfect for all my needs.
I've often thought - certainly in arena - the more information you can process, the better.
i realise now that i either dont have to worry about timing of most stuff in arena since it gets dispelled/broken before it's full duration expires which a lot of addons dont detect so i have a bunch of useless bars counting down stuff that no longer applies.

Thanks again guys. much appreciated!

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » making own "custom" ui... a lil'assistance needed!