07-26-18, 02:44 PM   #1
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Tekkub's addons, Gnomish Vendor Shrinker

I don't think Tekkub has been playing the game in about two years or so. The last update to Gnomish Vendor Shrinker was for patch 7.0.3 and since then the game's API has changed (looking at you, SoundKits) and with Battle for Azeroth, the poor addon is gasping for breath.

It isn't totally dead, just mostly dead. The SoundKit bugs are easy to fix, but when you open a vendor window in BfA then scroll up and down the list, the item list bugs out.

Is another author allowed to fix and update this lost wonder of an addon? What about the rest of Tekkub's addons that may need a look-see?
07-26-18, 06:26 PM   #2
thomasjohnshannon
A Theradrim Guardian

Tekkub doesn't include a license in the addon so legally it would automatically be considered to be under normal copyright law. If someone wants to do this I would suggest contacting them to get permission first.
07-27-18, 02:22 AM   #3
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by thomasjohnshannon View Post
Tekkub doesn't include a license in the addon so legally it would automatically be considered to be under normal copyright law.
The good/bad of the law.

Hmm. I wonder if Tekkub can even be reached? I'll try tomorrow, I suppose. Unless someone beats me to it overnight.
07-27-18, 01:09 PM   #4
Voxxel
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
I personally am a big fan of tekkub's works (some of them anyway). I've used VendorBait, Squeenix, Tek'sLoot, Tekticles and GnomishAuctionShrinker back in time when they hadn't have any possible alternatives "on the market".

It's well known and widely acknowledged that Tekkub is a born geek, he's weirdo and seems totally rude to newbies but it's offensive to people only who treats it seriously. Despite these facts, he's a masterful mind with uniquely brilliant addon ideas but unfortunately -as you mention- he stopped playing WoW years ago, and not really willing to update his own addons anymore. Lucky to us, many fans who are not greek to lua coding usually maintain his gems and release various fan updates or lua fixes for them.

I still use 2 of his addons, namely the GnomishInboxShrinker and GnomishVendorShrinker. The first one works just fine in 8.0 (maybe produces lua errors, idk) but I couldn't get rid of the Vendor Shrinker past the BfA prepatch as it produced various bugs, such as vanishing the whole vendor panel, etc.

I found out there are some user-made fixes by Shauren and MuffinManKey on Tekkub's github page so I was able to finally fix the addon for 8.0 by using their help:

https://github.com/TekNoLogic/Gnomis...Shrinker/pulls
07-27-18, 02:21 PM   #5
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Okay, I am going to have to figure out GitHub to get a zip file from these new commits. I didn't see anyone fixing the SoundKit issues, but maybe I missed those?
07-27-18, 03:57 PM   #6
Kanegasi
A Molten Giant

Open GnomishVendorShrinker\externals\ui-scrollbar.lua

Search for the only line with PlaySound in it. Replace with:

PlaySound(SOUNDKIT.U_CHAT_SCROLL_BUTTON)
09-26-18, 08:57 AM   #7
MuffinManKen
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
For what it's worth, I emailed Tekkub about taking over or forking GnomishVendorShrinker and I got no reply. As thomasjohnshannon notes, with no clear license there's not much I can do other than post fixes to the GitHub.
09-26-18, 02:26 PM   #8
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

Originally Posted by MuffinManKen View Post
For what it's worth, I emailed Tekkub about taking over or forking GnomishVendorShrinker and I got no reply. As thomasjohnshannon notes, with no clear license there's not much I can do other than post fixes to the GitHub.
He's kinda like Haley's Comet, he pops up ever so often. Most of his addons are well written, and don't break often.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Released AddOns » Tekkub's addons, Gnomish Vendor Shrinker