05-14-10, 10:18 PM   #1
mbelholm
A Defias Bandit
Making Interface without "WTF" ?!

Hi there

Me and my friend are talking about making our own UI / Interface, and my friend had trying to find out how KgPanel works - and he actully just make a Interface in a couple of hours.

But atm. im using SpartanUI - and in this UI theres no need of "WTF".

So here's my question - how do we make a interface thats actully a addon - but without the "WTF" folder..

- I hope your understand my question ..

//Morten - Denmark
05-14-10, 10:48 PM   #2
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

lua.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
05-14-10, 10:50 PM   #3
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
To do that you are effectively coding everything. As opposed to a compilation where your using many addons that you configure to your liking, in your example you will code everything as one addon (there may however be many folders within it for the sake of sanity in programming).

The WTF folder contains the settings for addons. Some examples listed below are effectively one big addon so they are not needed for initial set up.

In an example:

Lets say you normally use an action bar mod, unit frames, and some art. To make a "wtf-less" version you wouldnt use other mods you would literally code them yourself as one large addon.

Aside from spartan there are examples like nUI and ncUI plus a few others.

All wtf-less means its a self contained addon that has pre-defined settings. In some cases they are adjustable after initial installation. Regardless if its needed for set up or not there will definitely be a WTF folder afterward.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

Last edited by MidgetMage55 : 05-14-10 at 10:53 PM.
05-15-10, 06:04 AM   #4
mbelholm
A Defias Bandit
MidgetMage55 >

Ohh so that was the secret :P..
Thx for you answer ..
05-15-10, 06:45 AM   #5
Gautr
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Take a look at Shestak and CaelUI, pretty much everything configures itself.
05-15-10, 11:56 AM   #6
Elhana
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Midget is not completely correct.

You can make a config addon that will setup every other addon when it is loaded 1st time.
Not that hard, but you'll have to find out how each and every addon in compilation handles it's configuration, which is quite time consuming.

As a small example, I got an addon that hides some blizzard UI elements every time game starts:
-- ClassBar behind chatframe
ShapeshiftBarFrame:SetFrameStrata("Background")
MiniMapWorldMapButton:Hide();
GameTimeFrame:Hide()
You'd have to do the same with all other addons in compilation, moving them around and setting up it's variables.

As an alternative you can hack 3rd party addons to your preffered default settings, but some people here will QQ if you don't ask their permission first and addon does not have a license that lets you modify/redistribute it.

Last edited by Elhana : 05-15-10 at 12:08 PM.
05-15-10, 01:00 PM   #7
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
It's actually fairly simple. You can either make a UI that doesn't store any data in your WTF folders (the config is then in the lua file, or there is no config at all), which will then of course instantly be the way you want it. Or, you can put the data that is normally in the WTF folders in an install script which will then write the WTF folders the first time you use it (which is what I do for skada in my UI).

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Making Interface without "WTF" ?!