05-21-10, 04:55 AM   #1
datgrl
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Bartender4-4.4.2 - Need help binding strafe keys

I created a ticket at Ace and also contacted the author. I checked my ticket status today and it was marked 'invalid' and never got a response from the developer so I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out here.

I successfully bound keys using the 'hover & click' method described by the author. However, since the strafe keys aren't associated with an action bar button, I can't use that method. I'm a left handed mouse user and my movement keys are the arrows, insert and delete for strafe. The keys were working when I used nUI but when I switched to Bartender, they stopped. I double checked the WOW UI and strafe is still set up for my insert and delete. I'm not having any problem with the arrow movement keys and they are working fine.

I'm using Titan Panel, Auctioneer Lite, Atlas, TomTom and Lightheaded, as well.

Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
05-21-10, 09:04 AM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I'm a little confused... Are you trying to bind Insert and Delete to BE your strafe keys VIA Bartender? Or are you trying to REBIND your strafe keys to work for a button in Bartender instead?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

05-21-10, 09:31 AM   #3
datgrl
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I'm trying to rebind my keys, I guess. They don't appear to be 'unbound' according to the WOW GUI. They are still set to be insert/delete for strafe. However, it's not working in Bartender. I click on the computer (game menu), then click key bindings. It shows up there as bound. It worked fine when I ran nUI. Just not working now.

The only instructions in Bartender for binding keys say to 'hover and click'. These instructions don't apply to this situation. If there are other instructions on how to bind keys that are not on the action bar, that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks.
05-21-10, 09:34 AM   #4
Chibi
A Cyclonian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If you want Insert/Delete to be strafe keys, why are you trying to bind them in bartender?
05-21-10, 09:48 AM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
This is probably why your ticket was marked as invalid. The hover-bind only works for action button binds. Bartender4 is only an action bar addon. If you want to bind anything else (strafe/movement keys, map, character pane, camera controls, etc.) you just use the default keybinding interface.

If the default keybinding interface shows that you have Insert and Delete bound to strafe, then you should be able to use those keys to strafe. Is the problem that they are not working as strafe?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

05-21-10, 09:48 AM   #6
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Originally Posted by datgrl View Post
I'm trying to rebind my keys, I guess. They don't appear to be 'unbound' according to the WOW GUI. They are still set to be insert/delete for strafe. However, it's not working in Bartender. I click on the computer (game menu), then click key bindings. It shows up there as bound. It worked fine when I ran nUI. Just not working now.

The only instructions in Bartender for binding keys say to 'hover and click'. These instructions don't apply to this situation. If there are other instructions on how to bind keys that are not on the action bar, that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks.
Bartender does not control movement keys. So you cannot being movement keys in its interface. If you have those keys bound in the WoW keybind menu and they are not working then something is interfering with them. To test disable a few addons at a time, log back in and test. Alternately you can get an addon like Ampere to allow you to disable addons while staying logged in.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
05-21-10, 09:52 AM   #7
datgrl
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
o.k. thanks for the information. I will have to look at other reasons why it's not working.
05-24-10, 12:02 PM   #8
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I guess it sounds a bit silly (on my part), but have you tried re-binding those keys? Y'know: Open up the Blizz key binding interface, unbind the keys, "/rl" (don't know if it's really necessary, though) and re-bind the keys.

Might be worth a try if you haven't already done it.
05-24-10, 12:38 PM   #9
datgrl
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
You are exactly right. That's what I had to do - rebind them. I also had to rebind the secondary set of keys to 0 and . which makes sense. For whatever reason, they were not working after the install and rebinding them made it all work. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Bartender4-4.4.2 - Need help binding strafe keys