04-19-05, 03:05 PM   #1
xGTx
A Murloc Raider

Get data from internet

I wonder if it's possible for the LUA scripting to get data from the internet... Gives me the idea of having a more advanced MOTD for guilds through the use of a simple addon that can retrieve maybe a .txt document from the net and display it's contents in a frame.

Also, whats the new interface version so that WoW doesnt say my addon's are out of date?

Last edited by xGTx : 04-19-05 at 03:08 PM.
04-19-05, 03:12 PM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by xGTx
Also, whats the new interface version so that WoW doesnt say my addon's are out of date?
04-19-05, 03:14 PM   #3
Inokis
EQInterface Staff

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
LOL, having a tough day

Originally Posted by Cairenn
To the Mod Authors, it would appear that the toc number didn't change.
04-19-05, 03:27 PM   #4
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Not to mention the whole "unless you are a mod author updating your own mod and need to know the number for compliance sake, never update your toc number!" that has only been said over, and over, and over, and over, and over, ad infinitum, ad naseaum on this forum, the Blizz forum, the forums of the various mod authors, the ...
04-19-05, 03:35 PM   #5
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Sorry

On to the meat of your request, it is my understanding that Blizz prevents this functionality from being available in the game. It'd be considered "third party software that affects the integrity of the game" (or however it is that they actually have it worded, can't get at their site right now to get the exact terminology they use). I may be wrong, and if so, someone point it out to me (I won't mind, honest!), but to the best of my knowledge, can't be done.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
04-19-05, 03:41 PM   #6
woofiest
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Cairenn
Not to mention the whole "unless you are a mod author updating your own mod and need to know the number for compliance sake, never update your toc number!" that has only been said over, and over, and over, and over, and over, ad infinitum, ad naseaum on this forum, the Blizz forum, the forums of the various mod authors, the ...
exactly why I'm preventing myself to hit the blizzard UI forum at all for today... I've had enuff of babe screaming/crying/whining/hand-holding

==== For Mod Hogger ======================================
http://www.wowinterface.com/
http://www.wowguru.com/ui
http://www.curse-gaming.com/
http://ui.worldofwar.net/
04-19-05, 03:44 PM   #7
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by woofiest
exactly why I'm preventing myself to hit the blizzard UI forum at all for today... I've had enuff of babe screaming/crying/whining/hand-holding
You couldn't anyway, I tried, it's impossible, you just plain can't get there long enough to actually help anyone. I've spent most of the day with their UI forum open in another window, trying to see who is asking for what in the way of help, and responding where I could. Useless. I haven't been able to post a single thing yet. =/
04-20-05, 10:04 PM   #8
xGTx
A Murloc Raider

Ouch!

Well, I recently have gotten into WoW scripting; so of course I wanted to know the new toc number! :P

Ive got my first addon done. A little counter that you can move anywhere on the screen, and if you click it, the count goes up one. If you right click, it goes down by 1. If you hit the middle mouse button, it resets Very fun to use when me and my friend go killing people and we keep track of total kills.
04-20-05, 10:20 PM   #9
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Hey, wanting to know the new number (which in this particular case there wasn't, see huge debate about whether there should have been on Blizz forum!) because you are talking about mods you wrote, that we don't mind.

It's the end users that constantly want to go in and start mucking around with them, when they don't need to, which leads to the problems as outline above ... that, that we get frustrated with, because folks keep telling them over and over and over to "just don't do it".

And yeah, it was noted on the front page that the number hadn't changed, also contributing to the head-beating-against-wall thing. It was a looooong day. Sorry 'bout that!
04-21-05, 12:19 PM   #10
xGTx
A Murloc Raider

no problem. I now wonder, what type of event is it when "Your auction for <blah> has sold!" I'd like to detect that.
04-21-05, 12:37 PM   #11
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
I don't know if you are aware of this site, but if not, you want to be, when talking macros/scripts. It's WoWWiki, and it completely rocks for info on this stuff.
06-07-05, 11:41 AM   #12
Beladona
A Molten Giant

I think the reasoning behind changing the toc number or not was as follows:

If any mods need to be updated due to old functions no longer working, or certain functions not doing what they used to, and therefore possibly breaking mods prior to said patch, then the toc number changes, allowing proper versioning of AddOns.

If all mods should work just as they did prior to the patch, without any necessary updates or changes, then there is no need to change the toc file. This means there may be new scripting features that CAN be used, but the overall functionality of all addons should have remained unchanged, and therefore no update is necessary, hence no toc number update.

That is the reasoning I see from it... I didn't see an argument thread though, so can't see if that point was already brought up, so now I will go do some searching =P

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Get data from internet