09-10-12, 11:04 AM   #1
Minnetonka
A Defias Bandit
No Thanks No Update

I think the way the author(s) of Carbonite are acting towards the efforts of Rythal is completely disgusting. Rythal took time out of his life to FIX this addon. He did NOT ask for anything in return. In fact he asked that any donations should be made to the author(s). Also being the awesome guy Rythal is he removed his fan update of the addon from the internet upon announcement of 5.0.41. He never asked for a thanks but I think he deserves one and I'm sure a lot of people will agree with me. I went out of my way to register on these forums just because I am sickened of the way Rythal is being treated. That being said, until Rythal receives some kind of thanks/apology from the author(s) of Carbonite I will NOT be updating to the new version (which I heard doesn't work right anyway). I will continue using Rythal's fan update of Carbonite until it stops working. If anyone does not have Rythal's fan update and would like it, I wil be more than happy to upload it to a torrent website or even burn it on a cd and mail it to you if I have to. This act of "douchebaggery" is appalling and I hope the author(s) make it right with at least a thanks to Rythal. Please do the right thing so I can continue updating and using Carbonite.

P.S.
How do I remove the annoying chat message "This version of Carbonite is pretty old." "Please visit carboniteaddon.com for an update."? I will no longer wish to hear about any updates until Rythal gets what he deserves.....a THANK YOU!

09-10-12, 11:08 AM   #2
Meganbtoo
An Aku'mai Servant
Agree totally. Rythal was a hero in our time of need and he deserves everyone's thanks. I wonder if the original authors only bothered to update it because he shamed them into getting off their backsides and fixing it.

09-10-12, 11:22 AM   #3
Grim077
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
did they say something to Rythal? i love carbonite and i always have but they really should thank him for helping us all out in our time of need. so i say Thank you Rythal and please Carbonite Devs say thank you to him as well he did an amazing job on the fan update, and thank you for coming back to fix carbonite your selfs

09-11-12, 01:43 PM   #4
Serra44
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Minnetonka, I totally, fully, whole-heartedly, 100% agree with everything you said!

I will also be using Rythal's update untill it completely and utterly stops working, and hopefully by then the good man will have come up with his own version which I will gladly send him a big fat donation for.

Amen.

09-11-12, 01:47 PM   #5
Serra44
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Grim077 View Post
did they say something to Rythal? i love carbonite and i always have but they really should thank him for helping us all out in our time of need.
Yes they did. This was their 'thank you; to Rythal:
'It is our addon. We did not ask, nor do we want someone else modding it.
I won't tell you to work for free or give your property away, so please don't tell us what we should do with our property.
I think my answers have been direct and to the point, but that is just my opinion.'

In other words, get your filthy hands of our project, We did not ask for your help and we don't want you touching it.

09-11-12, 01:52 PM   #6
mserica
A Murloc Raider
Well I have removed Carbonite from my game and will no longer support them financially.

09-11-12, 02:39 PM   #7
nexusguard
A Murloc Raider
gamer tag nexusguard#1886 to rythal

hey i think if there are problems and or issues and a person is able to add a quick fix so peiople will continue to use an addon .. and esp one such as versatile as carbonite ... i feel its not just the devolopers property but the people who use it cause if it wasnt for rythal and people who use carbonite, carbonite wouldnt have made it this far and have people addicted to it like crack ... so when it stays broken for such a long time it just shows when a fan fixes it til a proper update is done or made how much they care and want to help support ... so if it is true that the devs of carbonite have shunned and pretty much told rythal to go and bend over and take their foot up where the sun dont shine ... then i will make sure all my friends and guildies who use it will stop due to the blatent disrespect to someone who was trying to give the devs some room to breathe til they fixed things ... so rythal is you wish please continue to do a good job and things and sorry the developers shot you in the ass like that but i dont or hope, the comment wasnt meant by all the developers but only and individual. my gamertag for wow is nexusguard#1886 for those who wish to add me as a friend and rythal if you see this please add me to keep in touch cause i would rather a person who cares about both the user and addon and wouldnt mind a lilttle help in a time of stress ... cause i know MoP beta didnt leave room for fixes, and thigns for ALL adons and every patch always leads to at least a week or more of me updating over and over on my addons .... its a shame devlopers are so fricking stingy and nitpicky about someone trying to help ...

09-11-12, 10:57 PM   #8
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by nexusguard View Post
i feel its not just the devolopers property but the people who use it cause if it wasnt for rythal and people who use carbonite, carbonite wouldnt have made it this far and have people addicted to it like crack ...
It is the developers property. By what you are saying, you own the business you work for, the building you work in (or school you go to), the grocery store you shop at... it's not something that the users or shoppers ever own - nor should they demand or expect their demands (or requests) to be given into. I would love to see those who believe that I'm wrong go into a Walmart, Best Buy, Target etc - ask to see the manager and say "I own the project because without me and all the others shopping here, this place wouldn't be the place it is". While true, they wouldn't be in business - they are the ones putting their blood, sweat, and tears into the business to make it work and make a profit.

If that doesn't work for you - try claiming that Microsoft is your company and you are the owner (which you may be if you own stock, but you have no real say in the company - a whole different discussion).

09-11-12, 11:34 PM   #9
Meganbtoo
An Aku'mai Servant
However, they are not, now, supposed to make a profit from addons. Blizzard stopped them doing that some years ago - and funnily enough that was about the time they stopped being bothered about it. There have been a couple of expansions where we have had to wait a long time for updates that worked from them, and as others have said, if they are not interested in it let someone who is and is capable work on it. The guy who fixed it for us managed to do it unaided in a couple of days - I think that is why the original authors are upset. Their' oh it is so complicated it takes so long for us to get you a working update' sort of looks sick when someone who does not know it or did not help develop it wanders in, scratches his head, does some real work on it, and creates a working version for people that the original developers cannot match.

Equating it to Walmart does not work - it is not a commercial enterprise. Most other authors create addons for the love of the game, not for the love of money like these ones.

09-12-12, 12:50 AM   #10
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Donations are not profits - lots of authors ask for donations.

Carbonite started as a pay for use addon, meaning that it was originally a business - and therefore the whole walmart reference. They put time and effort into creating this addon for money. They went through expenses for that business. The authors now update it, I assume, because they love their pet project that they spent a lot of time creating. I would like to see another person create the same functions Carbonite has without using Carbonite for a building block - and see how much time they put into that project. I admit, I know nothing about programming - so hopefully I'm wrong and that is easy to do.

Maintaining it, I assume, doesn't take as much time - it is creating and making sure everything works well together. What Rythal did was spend a "few nights" as you say - as I remember his post, he didn't get much sleep on those nights as he spent time working on the addon. Lastly, the developers haven't said "ohh it takes forever to update because everything is so complex" they have said "we have lives, Carbonite is not the forefront of our life - up until a few days ago, we didn't even know there was an update that broke it. We will look to get an update out tonight." and then they continued to correct extra issues.

There is a very big difference between the picture you paint - and reality.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » No Thanks No Update