10-28-08, 03:13 PM   #1
Tsurani
A Black Drake

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Question Computer hardware Question

any computer hardware geeks in here? i have a Intel Q6600 (GO version) and i was thinking of sticking it in an nForce 780i so that way when the E chips come down i can just slap one of them in there, the Intel Q6600 i got for free.

currently i have an AMD XP 2600.

so is this a good idea?
10-31-08, 08:57 PM   #2
haylen2
A Kobold Labourer

Thumbs down cant log onto WoW "failed to find a suitable display device. exiting program"

hay yeh i need help 2 as my computer had abit of a total power surge and shut down so now when i go to log onto WoW it just says "failed to find a suitable display device. exiting program" now im really annoyed so if anyone can help me out that will be great thanx.
10-31-08, 10:43 PM   #3
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by haylen2 View Post
hay yeh i need help 2 as my computer had abit of a total power surge and shut down so now when i go to log onto WoW it just says "failed to find a suitable display device. exiting program" now im really annoyed so if anyone can help me out that will be great thanx.
Can you post some system info? I probably won't be able to help you, but others seeing your specs may know what the problem is.

Go to Start -> Run -> type dxdiag and press Enter. (Windows Vista: Press the Windows Key (the key with the Windows logo on your keyboard) + R (at the same time). Type in DXDIAG and press Enter or click 'OK', this will open the DirectX diagnostic tool.)

System tab
Operating system:
Processor:
Memory:
DirectX Version:

Display tab
Device Name:
Driver Version:
Driver Date:
Driver DDI Version:
DirectDraw Acceleration:
Direct3D Acceleration:
AGP Texture Acceleration:
11-01-08, 12:02 PM   #4
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

@Tsurani: I'm not very current with Intel's chips, as I prefer AMD myself. Can't interchange AMD and Intel chips on the same board though. Last I was looking the Nforce 780 was a good board (don't know about the 780i though). Generally any dual-core over 2.5GHz should do you fine for almost anything.

@haylen2: Not polite to hijack someone's thread. But... yes please post more detailed info when asking for help, but just a shot in the dark I will guess that your video drivers got toasted. If that's not the problem try the Repair.exe in the WoW folder in case something in WoW got corrupted. Major power surges like that can be devastating unfortunately. Suggest an awesome surge protector (with $100,000 warranty or more), or an UPS.

Hope that helps.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Computer hardware Question