08-31-09, 12:46 PM   #41
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
There is also a website called alladdon.com that are hosting addons. I just did a google for one of mine and found it there freshly updated with my latest changes.

And it looks like they are using the wowinterface system to download it.

I cannot see anywhere yet on how I can contact them to ask them to not do that but if they must directly link to the wowinterface pages. Nope, they sneakily do not include a contact option. There are several addons there though.

Also, I noticed fin.instinct.org also have an addon selection page but at least they have the decency to link to the main page for people to download.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	guildchatdownload.jpg
Views:	837
Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	3278  

Last edited by Xrystal : 08-31-09 at 12:57 PM.
08-31-09, 01:10 PM   #42
Slakah
A Molten Giant

Also, I noticed fin.instinct.org also have an addon selection page but at least they have the decency to link to the main page for people to download.
That site just uses rss feeds, so I don't see anything wrong with it.
08-31-09, 01:24 PM   #43
Verissi
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
There is also a website called alladdon.com that are hosting addons. I just did a google for one of mine and found it there freshly updated with my latest changes.

And it looks like they are using the wowinterface system to download it.

I cannot see anywhere yet on how I can contact them to ask them to not do that but if they must directly link to the wowinterface pages. Nope, they sneakily do not include a contact option. There are several addons there though.
One of mine is on that site as well *sighs* The domain has public info in the whois record (registered to an owner in China) and shows an email address, but who knows if the contact info is correct.
08-31-09, 01:36 PM   #44
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Verissi View Post
One of mine is on that site as well *sighs* The domain has public info in the whois record (registered to an owner in China) and shows an email address, but who knows if the contact info is correct.
Well I sent a nice polite message to that email address .. oh and what a surprise .. instant reply back :

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

<s31h@yahoo.*******>:
Remote host said: 554 delivery error: dd This user doesn't have a yahoo.******* account (s31h@yahoo.*******) [-5] - mta126.mail.cnb.yahoo.com [BODY]
08-31-09, 02:36 PM   #45
Verissi
Premium Member

Well I sent a nice polite message to that email address .. oh and what a surprise .. instant reply back :
Colour me shocked...or not Given some of the other domains hosted at that IP, I suspect the hosting company wouldn't be helpful either.
08-31-09, 03:24 PM   #46
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Fin's site is 100% fine - he doesn't host anything but links to the main AddOn's page.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
08-31-09, 03:45 PM   #47
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Yeah. Fin's site is sanctioned and recommended for those who don't want or have problems with updaters. And we all <3 Fin.

He just hasn't been around as much lately (life stuff and I don't think he's currently playing) so there may be some glitches with his site in regards to Curse's rss feed.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-01-09, 12:56 PM   #48
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Verissi View Post
If the Admin Contact email address in the domain whois record is fake, then you need to report them to their domain registrar (it is very much against the ICANN rules to use fake information in your domain registration). If the domain registrar fails to act on it, then go above their heads and report the issue directly to ICANN.
09-06-09, 08:21 AM   #49
Gagorian
A Defias Bandit

I sent them the following e-mail:

Hello.

You are distributing my World of Warcraft addon DrDamage without my permission and I would like to have it removed from your website. Even if the addon is free, doesn't mean it's freely distributed and I as an author choose to retain all rights to it. The reason for this is to make sure sure only the versions I see fit for release are distributed. I'm hoping for your co-operation in this matter.

Regards,

Gagorian
And received the following answer:

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.
As you know we found your game is very popular and funny.The customer like it very much.You know, there are still some customers search the software on our site and download it to use.That's also a big help for your company.
Our PR is 8 and the alexa rank is about 300. We want to cooperate with your company in the future. Could we keep your software on our site?

Thank you again for your consideration.

More software in this category, you can find here
http://www.brothersoft.com

Thank you for your support.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any other question, I will be happy to help you.

Best Regards,
Brothersoft Team
And I can still see DrDamage being downloadable from their site.
09-06-09, 08:30 AM   #50
zero-kill
A Firelord

Maybe a reiteration in every sentence stating for them to remove the software.
09-06-09, 08:38 AM   #51
Gagorian
A Defias Bandit

Originally Posted by zero-kill View Post
Maybe a reiteration in every sentence stating for them to remove the software.
Hello again,

I thought I made myself clear with my previous e-mail. I will not allow you to keep my work on your site and I do not want users downloading my work from your site. Please have it removed as soon as possible, I don't want to repeat myself.

Signed,

Gagorian, author of DrDamage
I'm trying that now.
09-06-09, 10:01 AM   #52
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Rofl, sounds like an auto reply. They didn't even have the decency to put your name on it to give it that personalised feeling
09-07-09, 10:29 PM   #53
Gagorian
A Defias Bandit

Hello,

We have deleted it. please come back and check.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any question or suggestion, you are welcome.

Brothersoft Team
http://www.brothersoft.com

Seems to be removed. I'm actually quite surprised.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Brothersoft hosting addons without permission