07-18-08, 11:42 PM   #1
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Massive Mod Author Wrath of the Lich King Beta Key Give-Away

We took care of you last time and we aren’t letting you down this time either. It was so highly successful that we are doing it again! Another massive Beta key give-away for mod authors, this time for the upcoming expansion Wrath of the Lich King!

This is not a contest! Whether using US or EU client, if you are a mod author that hosts with us and you have been keeping your mods current, you are eligible for a key!

Update: Okay guys, I've sent in the first batch of names. If your ticket is: US 000001 - 000475 or EU 000013 - 000474, your information has been sent to Blizzard. Hopefully you will see your key within the week, but neither we nor Blizzard are making any promises on that count.

Update #2: 476 - 591 went in today.

We are continuing to collect names and will be sending in a batch to Blizzard once a week hereafter. If you haven't signed up yet or didn't sign up in time for today's list you don't have to worry, you still have time to do so. Sign up here.

Also, don't forget about our Addons Gone Crazy contest. You have until 8 August 2008 to submit your funny, silly addon.

Once you get the chance to get your mod ready for beta testing in the expansion, upload it to our WotLK Beta download category and check our WotLK Beta forum for possible feedback.

Rules:
  • You must have an active World of Warcraft account.
  • You must be an addon author with one or more mods on the site that are current to 2.4 (Compilations & "Hello world" or its equivalent do not count).
  • One key per author. Blizzard will check to make sure you aren't getting multiple keys, so don't try to scam.
  • Your WoWInterface account must be registered to a valid email address. This does not need to be the same account you are using for your WoW account, it just has to be a valid one that you will check.
  • Both US and EU can sign up for keys. Make sure you check the radial button that applies to you.
  • Do not upload addons that are not your own. Anyone caught uploading someone else's work will be banned from the site. All addons submitted are manually checked.
  • Blizzard and WoWInterface reserve the right to deny anyone a key.
Also, don't forget that we've already opened up a WotLK beta download category and forum for you guys to use as well.

WotLK Beta Author guilds

US PvE (Northrend server)

Alliance: <Secure Templars>
Horde: <WTB API PST>

EU PvE (Coldarra server)

Alliance: <Tainted and Secure>
Horde: <Restricted Crusade>

Last edited by Cairenn : 08-14-08 at 04:15 AM.
07-19-08, 01:51 AM   #2
mikk
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
"Current for 2.4"?

The rules state that an addon needs to be current for 2.4. Will I need to go edit the .toc of some of my otherwise-functional 2.3-tagged addons to be eligible?
07-19-08, 01:52 AM   #3
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
If you don't have any that are current, yup.
07-19-08, 04:52 AM   #4
Daviesh
A Murloc Raider
Premium Member
Thanks once again Cairenn for your efforts on our behalf. The author beta really took the stress of being ready for the last expansion and I am extremely grateful to have a similar opportunity.

Once again, thanks!
07-19-08, 06:10 AM   #5
jaliborc
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

This is great! I already signed up, but I have a question: when will Blizzard open these 'beta' servers?
07-19-08, 07:13 AM   #6
Jomar
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by jaliborc View Post
This is great! I already signed up, but I have a question: when will Blizzard open these 'beta' servers?
Beta servers are already up, I think it's all/mostly people from the alpha on them right now though
07-19-08, 08:14 AM   #7
Icecoldcoke
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
So this is a guaranteed spot?

What if we have already opted in for the beta, and we also get selected for that. Then we would have 2 beta keys which is breaking the rules of this.
07-19-08, 08:18 AM   #8
dafire
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Icecoldcoke View Post
So this is a guaranteed spot?

What if we have already opted in for the beta, and we also get selected for that. Then we would have 2 beta keys which is breaking the rules of this.
If you don't got selected before you sign up here you don't break any rules.
07-19-08, 10:24 AM   #9
Bl4ckSh33p
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Thank you for this chance to get into the beta! I hope the EU Beta starts soon.

btw: the alpha accounts are "frozen" for a few weeks to allow new betatesters to level up a bit.
07-19-08, 03:29 PM   #10
MattCairns
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Icecoldcoke View Post
Ok then, because I don't think that blizzard has even sent any out for the opt-in yet. Should I remove the opt-in so that I don't end up getting 2 beta invites. o.o
I don't think you have to worry about it. I'm sure if you are randomly selected then Blizzard will account for that and not give you a second key or vice versa if you get a key off WoWI. I highly doubt you'll be selected for the opt-in considering the amount of people who have probably also opted-in.
07-19-08, 04:25 PM   #11
jaliborc
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

So, are the EU betas already up or only in US? I've been trying to find more information, but I couldn't get any.
And, if they are already up, what do I to do to log in on them?
07-19-08, 06:15 PM   #12
Icecoldcoke
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by jaliborc View Post
So, are the EU betas already up or only in US? I've been trying to find more information, but I couldn't get any.
And, if they are already up, what do I to do to log in on them?
EU Beta forums are here

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/index.html?sid=2003

Might find some information about EU there.
07-19-08, 09:47 PM   #13
Din
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I had an addon here that apparently got deleted for being old or something, but it has always worked with a simple "allow outdated addons" or a manual TOC update. Had I realised old addons got removed I would've done TOC updates, but I didn't . Anyway, I resubmitted with the updated TOC, if that gets approved am I allowed to enter this?
07-19-08, 11:38 PM   #14
VgerAN
A Cyclonian

Thumbs up

Thanks a lot for getting this set up again this year, admins. <3 My mod Pawn is definitely going to need 3.0 updates, and this will make it a lot easier for me and my dear users. If this were eBay I would totally give you an

FAST PAYMENT EXCELLENT EBAYER WOULD BUY AGAIN AAA++++++++++++

But it's not, so I will simply say thanks again.
07-20-08, 12:24 AM   #15
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Din View Post
I had an addon here that apparently got deleted for being old or something, but it has always worked with a simple "allow outdated addons" or a manual TOC update. Had I realised old addons got removed I would've done TOC updates, but I didn't . Anyway, I resubmitted with the updated TOC, if that gets approved am I allowed to enter this?
When we upgraded our servers and transferred the database over, some files were pruned that hadn't been touched in ages. Unfortunately, we did not have the time, nor resources, to go through those old addons beforehand. I'm not sure of when the cutoff was.

But you should be fine as long as it is your addon and it is in working order/fully compatible with 2.4.

edit: as a general reminder, anyone caught uploading any addons that are not their own creation (be that obvious plagiarism, uploading an old addon by someone else with a toc update, etc) will have that file deleted and their account banned from the site. This is nothing new for the beta key giveaway, this has always been our policy. Please respect the time and effort put in by the authors to create their work.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Last edited by Seerah : 07-20-08 at 12:27 AM.
07-20-08, 01:00 AM   #16
Bl4ckSh33p
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by MattCairns View Post
I don't think you have to worry about it. I'm sure if you are randomly selected then Blizzard will account for that and not give you a second key or vice versa if you get a key off WoWI. I highly doubt you'll be selected for the opt-in considering the amount of people who have probably also opted-in.
As far as I can remember the FAQ says you can get a second key via the "opt-in" if you already got one from WWI, BlizzCon or something like that. So it could be that you get another one via opt-in if you get one from the Mod-Author Keys.

Last edited by Bl4ckSh33p : 07-20-08 at 01:04 AM.
07-20-08, 01:06 AM   #17
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Keys obtained by other legitimate methods are up to Blizzard to decide whether you are allowed to have both, unless they tell us otherwise. Obviously there is no way for us (WoWInterface) to be able to check whether you have obtained a key by another method.

Also, since I forgot to mention it in my news post: The first batch of names will not be sent to Blizzard until Monday, 28 July. Blizzard will be sending out invitations at some point thereafter. As well, they have mentioned to me that they may not necessarily be sending out keys on a weekly basis like they did last time. So, although your name may be sent in on X date, it does not necessarily mean that you can expect your key on Y date.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti

Last edited by Cairenn : 07-20-08 at 01:09 AM.
07-20-08, 10:57 AM   #18
Tuller
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

Hurray beta invites
07-20-08, 11:12 AM   #19
Mera
Retired of WoW, In ESO :)

Premium Member
Thanks for the opportunity
Mera[xeh]? - La CroisadeEcarlate (wow)
07-20-08, 12:05 PM   #20
Syzgyn
An Aku'mai Servant

I was so giddy I was bouncing up and down when I read the news. Thanks for the great opportunity. Any word on how many names get sent in with each batch?

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Massive Mod Author Wrath of the Lich King Beta Key Give-Away