07-29-08, 10:17 PM   #261
saanlem
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I cannot get any right click menu to pop up when clicking on a name in the party frame. This would be to make another person the group leader. maybe there is a trick to this?

07-30-08, 02:08 AM   #262
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by saanlem View Post
I cannot get any right click menu to pop up when clicking on a name in the party frame. This would be to make another person the group leader. maybe there is a trick to this?
Are you using any click-casting addons such as Clique? Which version of nUI are you running (it tells you when you log in)

07-30-08, 08:12 AM   #263
saanlem
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Hi hi,
I have ver 1.08.00 beta loaded.
No click casting addons, nor party/raid frames.
I can right click on my player icon and get a menu.

(edit) I reloaded with no other addons besides nUI, same problem.

Last edited by saanlem : 07-30-08 at 08:19 AM.

07-30-08, 09:21 AM   #264
Charvel
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
I'll be interested to hear your impressions after you have given it a go.
Well, I gave it a try last night and I really want to like it. I only got around to adding 3 addons other than nUI (Recount, Omen, Combuctor). I liked the simplicity of it and the load times were 10 times faster than loading Mazzle.

However, 2 things I didn't enjoy (maybe minor in some people's eyes but was a turnoff for me).

1) Setting up the button bars. Mazzle had a Auto button layout feature for each class that I extremely enjoyed. I have 2 70s and am leveling the other 7 classes so I play each class. What was helpful with the auto layout (and keybindings) was that I didn't have to spend 15 to 20 minutes per character arranging my spells and abilities. Mazzle set it up for each class as a default and then I could change if I want (which I usually didn't). Then as I leveled my other classes, for each new spell they learned I would simply Mazzify the button layout and bang, my spells were arranged nicely and orderly; including the new ones. Not sure how difficult this would be to do but I put in my vote for it. It's really sort of a 'nice to have'.

2) The chat frame. We all get our information from chatting and seeing things in chat. The chat frame is an integral part to the WoW experience for most people. However, by only having 2 frames I found myself having to create new panes and the /nui fontsize only appears to modify the General tab. Then when I had the frames setup decently, I realized that there was functionality that I used to have that wasn't there anymore. For instance, in Mazzle (using Prat) all the characters names were colored according to their class (as long as Prat had registered their name before) otherwise it showed up as gray until I did a /who or something to register their name. Also, there were other things like if someone typed the word Invite in chat it would be bracketed and highlighted and I could click on it to invite someone to my group if I wanted. Again, another 'nice to have' feature.

These suggestions aren't meant to belittle your UI in anyway (it's a great UI with a lot of potential), just merely suggestions. In fact, I like the UI so much that I want to try it out again tonight; maybe see if I can get Prat working with it or some other Chat mod to organize the panes better.

Thanks for your hard work.

07-30-08, 10:53 AM   #265
Ratheri
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Charvel View Post
1) Setting up the button bars. Mazzle had a Auto button layout feature for each class that I extremely enjoyed. I have 2 70s and am leveling the other 7 classes so I play each class. What was helpful with the auto layout (and keybindings) was that I didn't have to spend 15 to 20 minutes per character arranging my spells and abilities. Mazzle set it up for each class as a default and then I could change if I want (which I usually didn't). Then as I leveled my other classes, for each new spell they learned I would simply Mazzify the button layout and bang, my spells were arranged nicely and orderly; including the new ones. Not sure how difficult this would be to do but I put in my vote for it. It's really sort of a 'nice to have'.
I never really liked Mazzle's auto button population. To much page flipping for hunters... that said, If you were using the original WoW buttons, or a bar mod using the blizzard button slots for it it's own evil purpose your buttons should translate to their corresponding analogs in the bars here. Even (to an extent) with bongos.

2) The chat frame. We all get our information from chatting and seeing things in chat. The chat frame is an integral part to the WoW experience for most people. However, by only having 2 frames I found myself having to create new panes and the /nui fontsize only appears to modify the General tab. Then when I had the frames setup decently, I realized that there was functionality that I used to have that wasn't there anymore. For instance, in Mazzle (using Prat) all the characters names were colored according to their class (as long as Prat had registered their name before) otherwise it showed up as gray until I did a /who or something to register their name. Also, there were other things like if someone typed the word Invite in chat it would be bracketed and highlighted and I could click on it to invite someone to my group if I wanted. Again, another 'nice to have' feature.
I have Prat and ChatIcons running with nUI. Provided you don't have both nui and Prat trying to do the same thing at the same time (I.E. move buttons, etc) you have zero conflict.

I believe that the only way that nUI could do the Auto-button thing that mazzle does is to make his own version of the "mazzify" portion... which probably isn't a priority, since most functions of the ui set themselves up. Still, we may see something after he gets the configuration module finished (probably sometime after 2.0). Even if it's a 3rd party module.

Last edited by Ratheri : 07-30-08 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Clarity

07-30-08, 12:57 PM   #266
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Hi hi,
I have ver 1.08.00 beta loaded.
No click casting addons, nor party/raid frames.
I can right click on my player icon and get a menu.

(edit) I reloaded with no other addons besides nUI, same problem.

I'm not sure what the conflict is here Saanlem... are you playing on a US server or European?

I just ran an instance of Arathi Basin on my hunter and had no problem being able to right click party members and get the raid menu. I then left AB and grouped with someone in a normal group and had no problem getting that menu to work, either.

I'm at a complete loss as to why your right-click popup menu isn't working. Are you getting no menu at all, or just the wrong menu?

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

07-30-08, 01:11 PM   #267
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Charvel View Post
Well, I gave it a try last night and I really want to like it. I only got around to adding 3 addons other than nUI (Recount, Omen, Combuctor). I liked the simplicity of it and the load times were 10 times faster than loading Mazzle.

However, 2 things I didn't enjoy (maybe minor in some people's eyes but was a turnoff for me).

At some point I will offer an option to auto-populate the action bars... but I don't think I'll ever get too very heavy handed with it. That said, when I build the skinning system for nUI, I do intend to allow for creating pre-defined button layouts that nUI users can create and share. I think it's a much better way to approach the problem than to say "this is the right way to lay out a rogue's buttons" or whatever.

There are several changes in the works for the chat frame. For one, the Beta 2 will only manage the default chat frame and the combat log. You can create as many additional frames as you like and drag them where you like and nUI won't mess with them any more. In addition, the Beta 2 chat and info panels are just a tad (not a lot) bigger... I smidge wider and about a line and a half or so higher. Third, the combat log is going to be moved to the information panel on the right side of the dashboard so you can view chat and combat log at the same time. Finally, at some point down the road, nUI will have built in WIM functionality including multiple tabs for whispers, etc... but that's not high on the priority list.

I will also add options for chat time stamps and coloring by player or class, etc... but that's not going to be anytime soon. There are existing chat mods that do that, I am told, that work with nUI (I don't use any myself).

These suggestions aren't meant to belittle your UI in anyway (it's a great UI with a lot of potential), just merely suggestions. In fact, I like the UI so much that I want to try it out again tonight; maybe see if I can get Prat working with it or some other Chat mod to organize the panes better.
I don't mind at all... feedback is how the mod gets better.

07-30-08, 05:20 PM   #268
Coolit
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I'm not sure what the conflict is here Saanlem... are you playing on a US server or European?

I just ran an instance of Arathi Basin on my hunter and had no problem being able to right click party members and get the raid menu. I then left AB and grouped with someone in a normal group and had no problem getting that menu to work, either.

I'm at a complete loss as to why your right-click popup menu isn't working. Are you getting no menu at all, or just the wrong menu?

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Hi, this is the same issue that i reported in post 231, no right click menu, i also receive an error message

07-30-08, 08:21 PM   #269
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Coolit View Post
Hi, this is the same issue that i reported in post 231, no right click menu, i also receive an error message
Coolit... thanks for reminding me about that!

Saanlem... are you getting any error messages when you right click the party frame? I know you said you weren't getting the menu, but I don't recall you saying that you were getting an error.

What Coolit is talking about is a bug we found in Blizzard's code which is causing WoW to throw an error which would, in fact, cause you to not get the popup menu.

For you and Coolit both -- I'm curious if turning off the in-game voice chat feature will make the problem go away. I have a feeling it will as that's the part of Bliz's code where the error comes up. You don't have to leave it turned off, but I am curious to know if turning it off fixes the problem or not.

07-30-08, 08:53 PM   #270
Kailef
A Fallenroot Satyr

Just a quick aside: A temporary workaround for the "no right click menu" problem is to install (for example) Clique, and set your left click to the "display menu" function.

Last edited by Kailef : 07-31-08 at 08:05 PM.

07-31-08, 12:37 PM   #271
Coolit
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Saanlem... are you getting any error messages when you right click the party frame? I know you said you weren't getting the menu, but I don't recall you saying that you were getting an error.

What Coolit is talking about is a bug we found in Blizzard's code which is causing WoW to throw an error which would, in fact, cause you to not get the popup menu.

For you and Coolit both -- I'm curious if turning off the in-game voice chat feature will make the problem go away. I have a feeling it will as that's the part of Bliz's code where the error comes up. You don't have to leave it turned off, but I am curious to know if turning it off fixes the problem or not.

I just tried your workaround and it works great maybe its worth adding that to the first post

Thanks for the alternative workaround Kailef

07-31-08, 04:54 PM   #272
saanlem
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I do not get any error messages.
I run at 1152x864 on a US server.
I will try turning the voice chat later. ( I had to go back to my old layout system, as not having a menu hampered me too much)

07-31-08, 06:17 PM   #273
Martinus
An Aku'mai Servant
Hello Spiel2001,

I wanted to let you know that I like you UI very much. Have to get use to it a bit but now, I hooked.

I have some n00b questions :

Is there a good list of mods compatible with nUI?

I saw a few recommandation from Jungleanimal but what other mods work right with nUI?

The 2 I tried ans seemed to work fine are

Qbar, and ZOMGbuffs.

By the way Jungleanimal, how were you able to replace the map on the lower right with the one from Carbonite?

That's all for now. I'm sure i'll come up with other questions.

Martinus

07-31-08, 09:09 PM   #274
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Martinus View Post
Hello Spiel2001,

I wanted to let you know that I like you UI very much. Have to get use to it a bit but now, I hooked.

I have some n00b questions :

Is there a good list of mods compatible with nUI?

I saw a few recommandation from Jungleanimal but what other mods work right with nUI?

The 2 I tried ans seemed to work fine are

Qbar, and ZOMGbuffs.

By the way Jungleanimal, how were you able to replace the map on the lower right with the one from Carbonite?

That's all for now. I'm sure i'll come up with other questions.

Martinus

Martinus --

Thank you for the kind word.

Generally speaking, nUI should work with most mods. The only two conflicts I am immediately aware of are some compatibility issues with "Capping" -- an Ace AddOn -- and "HandyNotes" and the later one may not be an issue at all.

That said, there are a lot of features in nUI, so there are likely a lot of mods you don't need anymore... it's not that nUI isn't compatible with them, only that they are no longer needed.

As for myself... mods I currently use with nUI include

QuestHelper -- outstanding tool for quest grinding,
Omen2 -- THE defacto standard threat meter,
KLH Threat Meter -- another popular threat meter,
Recount -- damage totals and stats,
Gatherer -- a must for herbalists and miners,
Auctioneer Advanced -- great tool for getting the most out of the AH,
all of the Atlas mods -- Atlas Loot, Atlas Quest, etc.,
AKS Shard Max -- great little tool for locks... keeps your shards from overflowing your bags,
Advanced Trade Skill Window -- if you do much crafting, this is a must,
AutoProfitX -- makes selling the grays and junk out of your bags way easy,
CCBreaker -- handy in groups/raids where some idiot keeps breaking crowd control,
Deadly Boss Mod -- a must for raiding instances,
Easy Mail -- omg... I LOVE this mod for mailbox functionality.
Enchantrix -- like ATSW only for chanters,
MobInfo2 -- gives you real mob health info (HP) instead of percent health,
MozzFullWorldMap -- reveals unexplored areas on the world map and battlefield map
SCT -- scrolling combat text
WIM -- WoW Instant Messenger... a must if you get many whispers

07-31-08, 09:19 PM   #275
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Is there anyone here using nUI who can translate English to Korean?

I have translators for French, German, Spanish and Chinese (I hope)... I just need to find someone who can do Korean for me and we're good to go.

If you can translate English to Korean and you're willing to lend a hand with the effort to internationalize Beta 2 of nUI... please drop me an e-mail at [email protected]

Many thanks.

07-31-08, 09:24 PM   #276
spiel2001
nUI's Author

An update on the Beta 2 progress...

Well... I'm a little behind schedule (I think) at this point. I have finished coding the action bars for the second beta, the basic UI framework, the mockups for the player, party, raid 10, raid 15, raid 25 and raid 40 panels and I will be done with the initial coding of the new unit frames Friday.

I am pretty sure the new unit frames support every request I've seen made for them since I asked for feedback a week and a half or so ago. The new unit frames also have skinning support built in for them. Presuming the initial Beta 2 release goes well... my first order of business will be to code the GUI config for creating and modifying unit skins. I'm sure that will make lots of people here happy ~smile~

If I jam code, I think I can have the Beta 2 ready by Sunday though that may be pushing it a little. We'll see. I'll update everyone again on Sunday and let you know how far I've gotten.

07-31-08, 11:41 PM   #277
Kailef
A Fallenroot Satyr

If I jam code, I think I can have the Beta 2 ready by Sunday though that may be pushing it a little. We'll see. I'll update everyone again on Sunday and let you know how far I've gotten.
*steeples fingers together in a manner reminiscent of Mr. Burns from The Simpsons*

Excellent.

I can't wait to see what they look like.

*leans forward in chair*

*waits expectantly*

08-01-08, 12:33 AM   #278
depotstu
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
OK...I am a freak. I have somewhere near to 300 addons. Yes, I can still see my screen. Every once in a while I nuke my UI and start over. I always start with a comp and screw it up from there. Seeing your screen shots and the overall beauty and integration of everything, I am very impressed and I plan to delete my interface folder and start over with your UI if I can get past my one issue. I don't use my keyboard to play...I only use it for typing. I have a separate controller for playing, as such I don't have a string of 10-12 buttons I use for my main action bar...I have 4, but I use two pages. Several action bars on each character have two pages (unless I am on a character that needs more like a druid or warrior.) is there a way to make your action bars only have two pages? I have one button I can dedicate to page swapping, and blizzard won't let me just have two pages. I bind page uo to a button and I have to go through 5 pages to get back to page 1. So far Bongos and maybe Trinity are the only ones that let me do that...one way or another.

Got any suggestions?

08-01-08, 04:49 AM   #279
Coolit
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Well... I'm a little behind schedule (I think) at this point. I have finished coding the action bars for the second beta, the basic UI framework, the mockups for the player, party, raid 10, raid 15, raid 25 and raid 40 panels and I will be done with the initial coding of the new unit frames Friday.

I am pretty sure the new unit frames support every request I've seen made for them since I asked for feedback a week and a half or so ago. The new unit frames also have skinning support built in for them. Presuming the initial Beta 2 release goes well... my first order of business will be to code the GUI config for creating and modifying unit skins. I'm sure that will make lots of people here happy ~smile~

I'm waiting with great anticipation for this release, I dont raid much but I realise a lot of people do, and these improved features are core for them

Don't stress out to much about making a Sunday deadline, when its done its done and either way I'm sure the wait will be worth it.

08-01-08, 08:32 AM   #280
Jungleanimal
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Spiel2001,

Thanks for the list of mods and descriptions. I saw several that I will be trying out and maybe replace what I have with those.

I am still raiding away each week and we are finally to phase 5 on Kael'Thas. Holy moly he's a dandy boss to try and down.

I am very much looking forward to the beta 2 version of nUI. Last night an undead shadow priest was born using nUI. Just from the looks of him he already had level 5 skills and he was only a level 1. If he follows the path of my mage he will be the baddest clothie around in no time.

http://wowwebstats.com/5ij3fppbekfto?s=bosses

Anyway, just thought I would pop in and let you know that I am still checking the forums daily and I'm sure there are many out there waiting with baited breath for your new masterpiece. Peace out.

Jungle

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Technical Support » nUI -- A full feature standalone UI replacement