08-01-08, 10:39 AM   #281
spiel2001
nUI's Author

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Depotstu --

I saw your post last night, actually, and I've been thinking on it but I haven't really come up with any solutions. The action bars in nUI, at present, are designed to model the Bliz action bars for functionality and I can't think of an easy solution to your problem with that in mind.

The only thoughts I really have are to tie the extra button to your shift key and then use your mousewheel to page (shift-mousewheel will page the main action bar) which would give you much faster access to the two primary action bar pages. In Beta2 it will give you access to all six pages. But even that is a sloppy solution.

You can, if you like, hack the v1.08 to get it to give you all six action bar pages, as well. Exit WoW and edit Interface -- AddOns -- nUI -- nUI.lua with notepad or any plain text editor and look for the line
SetActionBarToggles( 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 );

It should be around line 1505 or so. Comment that line out as follows
--SetActionBarToggles( 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 );
After you have done that, save the file and log back into WoW. Go to the WoW interface options menu, select "Action Bars" and turn off the bottom left, bottom right, right 1 and right2 action bars then exit the options menu. The main action bar will now page all 6 pages.

At some point it is my intention to greatly enhance the functionality of the action bar including making it adaptive based on whether you have a friendly target, a hostile target or no target and supporting things like key-bound bar paging, etc. However, that is not in the near future.

My own personal solution to this is that I have changed all of the default Bliz keybindings to use my number pad on my keyboard. I use the keyboard only for typing, the mouse only for movement and targeting and the number pad for all of my action buttons. I have access to 34 different action bar buttons with one hand that way.

I'm afraid that's the best I've got for now.

Originally Posted by depotstu View Post
OK...I am a freak. I have somewhere near to 300 addons. Yes, I can still see my screen. Every once in a while I nuke my UI and start over. I always start with a comp and screw it up from there. Seeing your screen shots and the overall beauty and integration of everything, I am very impressed and I plan to delete my interface folder and start over with your UI if I can get past my one issue. I don't use my keyboard to play...I only use it for typing. I have a separate controller for playing, as such I don't have a string of 10-12 buttons I use for my main action bar...I have 4, but I use two pages. Several action bars on each character have two pages (unless I am on a character that needs more like a druid or warrior.) is there a way to make your action bars only have two pages? I have one button I can dedicate to page swapping, and blizzard won't let me just have two pages. I bind page uo to a button and I have to go through 5 pages to get back to page 1. So far Bongos and maybe Trinity are the only ones that let me do that...one way or another.

Got any suggestions?

08-01-08, 11:35 AM   #282
depotstu
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Thanks for the reply...I am sure I am going to try it out anyway and see what happens...looks like a fantastic setup you got going, and I love the integration of other addons into yours (like with omen and recount.)

And your presence on the board is a welcoming sight.

08-01-08, 11:50 AM   #283
spiel2001
nUI's Author

I am looking for someone who is using the WoW version localized for mainland China (not Taiwan) who can help me determine what the correct font is to use with their version of WoW. If you're using the traditional Chinese version of WoW and you're willing to lend a hand for a few minutes, please drop me an e-mail at [email protected]

Thanks

08-01-08, 06:19 PM   #284
niteskwerl
A Kobold Labourer
GroupCalendar? Carbonite quest?

Hey spiel,

I just installed the UI today and i'm still tweaking it out, I figured out how to get omen working but I was wondering if I can use CarboniteQuest and GroupCalendar with it as well?

Thanks for your time,

Erich

08-01-08, 07:04 PM   #285
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by niteskwerl View Post
Hey spiel,

I just installed the UI today and i'm still tweaking it out, I figured out how to get omen working but I was wondering if I can use CarboniteQuest and GroupCalendar with it as well?

Thanks for your time,

Erich
Erich --

I do know that nUI is compatible with GroupCalendar... it will pick up the clock icon for it and place it in the nUI button bag. To the best of my knowledge, nUI is also compatible with the Carbonite suite of mods.

08-02-08, 09:10 AM   #286
Ratheri
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by depotstu View Post
OK...I am a freak. I have somewhere near to 300 addons. Yes, I can still see my screen. Every once in a while I nuke my UI and start over. I always start with a comp and screw it up from there. Seeing your screen shots and the overall beauty and integration of everything, I am very impressed and I plan to delete my interface folder and start over with your UI if I can get past my one issue. I don't use my keyboard to play...I only use it for typing. I have a separate controller for playing, as such I don't have a string of 10-12 buttons I use for my main action bar...I have 4, but I use two pages. Several action bars on each character have two pages (unless I am on a character that needs more like a druid or warrior.) is there a way to make your action bars only have two pages? I have one button I can dedicate to page swapping, and blizzard won't let me just have two pages. I bind page uo to a button and I have to go through 5 pages to get back to page 1. So far Bongos and maybe Trinity are the only ones that let me do that...one way or another.

Got any suggestions?
I have a dumb suggestion. I don't know if it would work for you, but you could try mapping every other page the same way, i.e. 1,3,5 all the same and 2,4,6 all the same... that way you would be only one keypress away at all times even with the extra pages.

08-02-08, 02:48 PM   #287
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Exclamation Another internationalization request...

This is not a particularly important request, however, I thought I would ask all the same. As I'm sure most of you have picked up on with my "news" posts, I have taken the steps to make the Beta 2 fully internationalized. At present I have people helping me with translations for German, French, Spanish, Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese. I am also looking for someone who can translate English to Korean for me.

That said, there's one localization that I have kind of left out... and that's Great Britain. On the face of it, it wouldn't seem all that important to internationalize for Great Britain since we each speak relatively similar versions of English.

However, it does occur to me that there are a fair number of spelling differences such as "color" -vs- "colour" and so on that if I were English, I strongly suspect would get on my nerves.

With that in mind, if there's anyone who would be interested in converting my traumatized version of American English to the King's English, please drop me an e-mail at [email protected] and I'll send you a localization file you can edit to create a "proper" English version of nUI.

Many thanks to all who have been lending a hand on this internationalization effort!

EDIT: Okay... I have someone to help with the King's English version of nUI. Many thanks to Noble for stepping up to the plate. I do still need someone to handle English to Korean though.

Last edited by spiel2001 : 08-02-08 at 04:13 PM.

08-03-08, 07:04 PM   #288
Kailef
A Fallenroot Satyr

*leans forward expectantly*

08-03-08, 07:06 PM   #289
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Kailef View Post
*leans forward expectantly*

~roflmfao~

You can go get another beer... I'm not going to be ready for a release today. /sigh

08-03-08, 09:41 PM   #290
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Exclamation An update on the Beta 2 progress...

Just to keep everyone up-to-date on my progress...

The beta 2 code is complete and I am completing my internal unit testing which is coming along well enough. That said, I seriously underestimated how much time and effort the skinning process was going to take (in large part due to how detailed I have made the reconfigurability of the beta 2 design).

So... while I had optimistically hoped to have a release tonight, it is clear I won't. I'm probably being too anal, but I want to be sure this is relatively stable before I make the first release and I still am not satisfied with the layout.

At this point, I'll keep everyone posted day-by-day as I complete the unit and integration testing and I complete the skinning process. I can say for a fact I will have the first release this week. I'm just not sure how much more effort the skinning is going to take.

08-03-08, 10:17 PM   #291
Kailef
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
~roflmfao~

You can go get another beer... I'm not going to be ready for a release today. /sigh
Heh, heh, take your time. The longer you take, the more you resemble Blizzard, after all. ~wink~

Let me know if I can be of assistance.

08-03-08, 10:21 PM   #292
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Kailef View Post
Heh, heh, take your time. The longer you take, the more you resemble Blizzard, after all. ~wink~

Let me know if I can be of assistance.
Hey! Watch it Bubba!

~grin~

08-03-08, 10:32 PM   #293
Archippus
A Cyclonian
I'm just in denial over the fact that tomorrow is Monday, so I'm tooling around this site and I stumbled across nUI and decided to give it a whirl.

Initial impression... this is gorgeous!

I haven't had enough chance to play test all of its functionality, but at first glance I absolutely love what you've done.

With the high quality of this initial release, this has the potential of becoming my new UI of choice.

How well does it cooperate with other addons? Such as damage meters, or movable bags?

08-03-08, 10:42 PM   #294
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Archippus --

Thanks for the kind word and I do hope you enjoy it.

nUI is, generally, compatible with a broad range of mods. The only place it may be an issue is where nUI and another mod are providing the same functionality. However, in that case it isn't usually that nUI isn't compatible so much as why use both.

nUI directly integrates with Recount, Omen2, Threat-2.0, KLH Threat Meter and MobInfo2. I'm not sure how it would get along with a bag mover... it does manipulate the bags, but I'm not sure who would win. I am using the default bag buttons, so any mod that modified them to add text and such should be okay and I do believe that some nUI users are using oneBag mods with no issue, as well.

Originally Posted by Archippus View Post
I'm just in denial over the fact that tomorrow is Monday, so I'm tooling around this site and I stumbled across nUI and decided to give it a whirl.

Initial impression... this is gorgeous!

I haven't had enough chance to play test all of its functionality, but at first glance I absolutely love what you've done.

With the high quality of this initial release, this has the potential of becoming my new UI of choice.

How well does it cooperate with other addons? Such as damage meters, or movable bags?

08-04-08, 02:10 AM   #295
Ratheri
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

nUI is, generally, compatible with a broad range of mods. The only place it may be an issue is where nUI and another mod are providing the same functionality. However, in that case it isn't usually that nUI isn't compatible so much as why use both.

nUI directly integrates with Recount, Omen2, Threat-2.0, KLH Threat Meter and MobInfo2. I'm not sure how it would get along with a bag mover... it does manipulate the bags, but I'm not sure who would win. I am using the default bag buttons, so any mod that modified them to add text and such should be okay and I do believe that some nUI users are using oneBag mods with no issue, as well.
I am currently using with nUI:

Armory, Auctioneer, AuditorFu, AuldLangSyne, Bindings Reminder, Cartographer, ChatIcons, Combuctor, CowTip, DrDamage, Fizzle, FuBar, GFW Feed-o-Matic, GFW Hunter's Helper, Improved Merchant, InFlight, JasonQuest, Mendeleev, MobInfo2, MrPlow, Nauticus, New Recipe, nQuest Log, Omen, OptionHouse, PetExp2, Postal, Prat, Quixote, RatingsBuster, Recount, RepTracker, Talented, tekKompare, & XLoot. I am happy to report that there are few if any conflicts between nUI and any of these mods. Some (DrDamage) lose a little functionality because they aren't yet hooked into the way spiel handles things, but most problems can be resolved by either tweaking settings in nUI or in the mod itself. I currently do not get ANY lua errors when running these mods together.

08-04-08, 11:52 AM   #296
Archippus
A Cyclonian
I played around with nUI for a couple of hours and have some additional feedback...

TomTom, QuestHelper, MovableBags and DamageMeter work just fine with nUI, which I am very pleased about.

Overall, I love this UI. I mean, really love it. There is one thing that I would need to change though, and it might be a deal breaker for me - I find the fact that tooltips appear at the cursor location to be distracting, for my personal play style. Apart from nUI, I use Gymnast to stick my tooltips in a corner. But, nUI doesn't seem to like Gymnast. Even with Gymnast installed and (apparently) running, the tooltips still appear at my cursor.

Is there a way to move the tooltips to a static location, away from my cursor? If so, I think I'm very near sold on this wonderful UI.

08-04-08, 12:02 PM   #297
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Archippus View Post
I played around with nUI for a couple of hours and have some additional feedback...

TomTom, QuestHelper, MovableBags and DamageMeter work just fine with nUI, which I am very pleased about.

Overall, I love this UI. I mean, really love it. There is one thing that I would need to change though, and it might be a deal breaker for me - I find the fact that tooltips appear at the cursor location to be distracting, for my personal play style. Apart from nUI, I use Gymnast to stick my tooltips in a corner. But, nUI doesn't seem to like Gymnast. Even with Gymnast installed and (apparently) running, the tooltips still appear at my cursor.

Is there a way to move the tooltips to a static location, away from my cursor? If so, I think I'm very near sold on this wonderful UI.
Yes... you can Archippus. The command "/nui tooltips fixed" is what you're looking for. You don't need Gymnast to do that. nUI also has built in movers for most of Bliz's frames, so you don't need Gymnast to make the frames movable, either.

You should read the info at http://www.wowinterface.com/download...p?id=9108#info so you can see a complete list of the nUI slash commands and features.

I've very pleased to hear that you're enjoying nUI so much and thank you very much for the kind words.

08-04-08, 04:20 PM   #298
Archippus
A Cyclonian
Yes... you can Archippus. The command "/nui tooltips fixed" is what you're looking for. You don't need Gymnast to do that. nUI also has built in movers for most of Bliz's frames, so you don't need Gymnast to make the frames movable, either.

You should read the info at http://www.wowinterface.com/download...p?id=9108#info so you can see a complete list of the nUI slash commands and features.

I've very pleased to hear that you're enjoying nUI so much and thank you very much for the kind words.
Wow, ok. Very nice. Instead of tooling around with a newly created toon, I'm going to give this a test drive in full tanking mode, this evening. Omen and Recount included. I'll report in later.

... incidentally - is nUI going to make the transition to WotLK?

Last edited by Archippus : 08-04-08 at 08:53 PM.

08-04-08, 09:18 PM   #299
Martinus
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Jungleanimal View Post
Ok, so let me just repeat again that this UI is freakin awesome. I will never go back to the dark ages of configuring my own UI or using the default blizzard stuff. Now that I have done dailies with the UI here are my HUD questions.

1) Just a user friendliness consideration: I think it would be better to put the HP on the outside and make it bright green by default so that it is the most noticeable of the HUD bars. Mana /rage/energy is important but for some reason my brain migrates to the outer edges for information. Not a huge deal but just like HP is on top in horizontal bars I think it should be outside which is (for some reason in my head) most noticable on vetical bars.

2) Again with the default settings for new users. I had a hard time learning the HUD so I am suggesting things I think will make it more intuitive out of the box. Instead of white and green text on the top and bottom stats it would be good for the color of the numbers to correspond to the bars. For instance if HP is bright g then the HP numbers are bright green. If mana is blue then the mana number are blue. It helps with consistency (for me anyway).

That is all for now. Like I said though, overall, this UI is insane. I am bragging all over my guild forums and posting screen shots of my UI for everyone to see.

In fact here is how I have mine configured.

Once we figure out raid frames and associated info this UI will be unstoppable compared to the crap I have used in the past.

Hello Jungle,

I also use Carbonite and saw that you replaced the map in the map frame. Did you had to modify some code files, or you found an option letting you do that?

Mart.

08-04-08, 10:09 PM   #300
Jungleanimal
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
In that pic I just drug the Carbonite map over the top of the nUI map and it fit perfectly. Howerver, I have since replaced carbonite with quest helper so my UI looks differently atm.

Jungle

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Technical Support » nUI -- A full feature standalone UI replacement