03-29-20, 04:17 AM   #1
frostimus
A Murloc Raider
Nameplate/Personal Resource Bar Bug

Hi guys,

Getting this bug constantly where my personal resource display freaks out and splits up. Sometimes, the health portion of it disappears which is where I get LUI errors from my BugSack/BugGrabber. The following bug is only the first page of four:

3x ...eBlizzard_NamePlates\Blizzard_NamePlates.lua:448: Action[FrameMeasurement] failed because[Can't measure restricted regions]: attempted from: <unnamed>:GetLeft().
[string "=[C]"]: in function `GetLeft'
[string "@Blizzard_NamePlates\Blizzard_NamePlates.lua"]:448: in function `GetPreferredInsets'
[string "@Blizzard_NamePlates\Blizzard_NamePlates.lua"]:138: in function `UpdateInsetsForType'
[string "@Blizzard_NamePlates\Blizzard_NamePlates.lua"]:122: in function `ApplyFrameOptions'
[string "@Blizzard_NamePlates\Blizzard_NamePlates.lua"]:93: in function `OnNamePlateAdded'
[string "@Blizzard_NamePlates\Blizzard_NamePlates.lua"]:51: in function <...eBlizzard_NamePlates\Blizzard_NamePlates.lua:42>

Locals:
(*temporary) = <unnamed> {
otherHealPrediction = <unnamed> {
}
b = 0
myHealAbsorbLeftShadow = <unnamed> {
}
border = <unnamed> {
}
background = <unnamed> {
}
overAbsorbGlow = <unnamed> {
}
barTexture = <unnamed> {
}
0 = <userdata>
r = 0.999998
totalAbsorb = <unnamed> {
}
myHealPrediction = <unnamed> {
}
g = 0
totalAbsorbOverlay = <unnamed> {
}
myHealAbsorbRightShadow = <unnamed> {
}
overHealAbsorbGlow = <unnamed> {
}
myHealAbsorb = <unnamed> {
}
}

I've attached a screenshot below of what it looks like. As you can see, my UI is quite vanilla, and the only Nameplate addon that I actually use is flyPlateBuffs, which is a buffs debuffs addon that hooks onto the native Blizzard Nameplates.

I am not sure if it is flyPlateBuffs that is causing this bug. I have my doubts because I have friends who also use this addon and do not experience such bugs. I am wondering what I can do to find out the cause for this bug. I would really appreciate some help as I have done literally everything I can to remedy this. I have reset deleted my WTF files, deleted and cleaned my Cache, Repaired through the Battle.net Client, even reinstalled the damn game. I would like to troubleshoot this issue. Thanks!

EDIT: I will happily post the other LUI bugs if necessary. However, I feel as though it is this original bug that causes a chain effect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_032920_200737.jpg
Views:	1707
Size:	455.7 KB
ID:	9429  

Last edited by frostimus : 03-29-20 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Additional pertinent information
03-29-20, 07:47 AM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I thought nameplates were removed from API control. Or was that only certain elements.

Based on this message:
Action[FrameMeasurement] failed because[Can't measure restricted regions]

That GetLeft command is classed as a measure test on a region that it is saying is restricted. Something in the addon is trying to size up the nameplate frames. Maybe this is one of the things Blizzard is restricting now.
03-29-20, 10:50 AM   #3
frostimus
A Murloc Raider
I guess my follow up question would be: how can I check which addons perform this particular function: FrameMeasurement? I want to make sure I’m not overlooking any possibilities.

EDIT: I seem to be getting 900+ errors here in particular,

928x FrameXML\AuraUtil.lua:58: Usage: local continuationToken, slot1, slot2, ... = UnitAuraSlots("unit" [, "filter"][, maxSlots][, continuationToken])
[string "=[C]"]: in function `UnitAuraSlots'
[string "@FrameXML\AuraUtil.lua"]:58: in function `ForEachAura'
[string "@Blizzard_NamePlates\Blizzard_NamePlates.lua"]:569: in function `UpdateBuffs'
[string "@Blizzard_NamePlates\Blizzard_NamePlates.lua"]:178: in function `OnUnitAuraUpdate'
[string "@Blizzard_NamePlates\Blizzard_NamePlates.lua"]:60: in function <...eBlizzard_NamePlates\Blizzard_NamePlates.lua:42>

Locals:
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = "HELPFUL|INCLUDE_NAME_PLATE_ONLY"
(*temporary) = 32
(*temporary) = nil

Last edited by frostimus : 03-29-20 at 01:09 PM.
03-29-20, 06:44 PM   #4
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I've had this happen on occasion with just the Default UI, no addons loaded.
It doesn't generate an error, but the power bar would split from the health bar for a time.
03-29-20, 08:31 PM   #5
frostimus
A Murloc Raider
Just to clarify. I don’t get an error when the personal resource display splits up as shown in the image. I do however get said error when the health portion of the personal resource display vanishes entirely. I am wondering what causes that.
03-30-20, 04:46 AM   #6
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Internal logic in the C code. Not sure exactly what that logic is, but it releases the base nameplate to be reused on another unit. Even if a certain build appears to use the same nameplate over and over for the player, I wouldn't base any code off that theory.
03-31-20, 10:51 AM   #7
frostimus
A Murloc Raider
This is actually starting to piss me off. I know for sure that this is caused by some outside factor. I just want to find out what it is. Is there anyplace that I can start?

No way that Blizzard's fkn native UI makes the health portion of my Personal Resource Display fkn vanish
03-31-20, 02:03 PM   #8
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by frostimus View Post
This is actually starting to piss me off. I know for sure that this is caused by some outside factor. I just want to find out what it is. Is there anyplace that I can start?

No way that Blizzard's fkn native UI makes the health portion of my Personal Resource Display fkn vanish
You mentioned LUI in your first post... if that is your amin addon, consider it being what is causing the error ( either indirectly or unintentionally of course ) as it is a full ui replacement addon and no doubt works with the nameplate system. Make sure you have their latest addon and see if a similar bug report has been posted and reported as fixed on their support page.

The following is my normal process for identifying addons causing issues.

Some questions to ask yourself
1. Does it only happen on one character ? Yes ? Possible Character specific Saved Variables issue.
2. Does it happen on every character ? Yes ? Possible Gameplay or Addon issue
3. Does it happen with no addon loaded ? No ? Possible Addon issue

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saved Variables Issue:
Rename the WTF folder to temporarily reset the saved variables (main game and addon) and see if that resolves the issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Addon Issue:
As with any addon related issue the only thing you can do is start off with no addons installed and confirm under the same conditions nothing goes wrong.

Then .. slowly add the addons in and try again noting which ones are active when the error occurs.

You may have to rinse and repeat this a few times to find one or two addons that may have caused the issue. It is either a single addon that is causing the issue or it's a conflict between addons issue.

No-one else can help you with this as they are the addons you have installed, you know how up to date the installed versions are.

Once you have narrowed down to a particular addon report to the developer to see if it is something they are aware about or if it is unfixable.

Gameplay Issue: Report it to Blizzard as per normal bug report
03-31-20, 02:49 PM   #9
frostimus
A Murloc Raider
Sorry, I don't use LUI, I meant LUA errors.

I've begun disabling my addons one by one to try and whittle down the possibilities. The annoying thing is, I can't recreate the bug intentionally. I don't even understand the circumstances under which it manifests. It happens sometimes in raid, sometimes in arena, sometimes in the world. Hence my question regarding maybe being able to trace the error code itself to a particular addon.
03-31-20, 05:43 PM   #10
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by frostimus View Post
Sorry, I don't use LUI, I meant LUA errors.

I've begun disabling my addons one by one to try and whittle down the possibilities. The annoying thing is, I can't recreate the bug intentionally. I don't even understand the circumstances under which it manifests. It happens sometimes in raid, sometimes in arena, sometimes in the world. Hence my question regarding maybe being able to trace the error code itself to a particular addon.

Unfortunately not in that instance. The bane of any programmers life .. how to fix a problem that cannot be forced repeatedly. All you can do is try to see if there is a programmatic reason for it based on when it happens and what was being done at the time. This is called blind coding ( if you weren't aware ). It may not fix the problem but it has just as much chance to fix the problem..

If the error report details which addon and line in the addon *caused* the error one could look at the code and see if the error mentioned reflects the code segment on that line..

If the error occurs with just one addon, in which case one would place several *debug* statements to identify at what point the error occurs by seeing which debug messages appear before the error occurs. Unfortunately because most if not all of the error code is in Blizzards own code we can't do that. So it may be a combination of actions/situations that cause the error.
04-01-20, 08:08 AM   #11
frostimus
A Murloc Raider
I managed to finally get the bug to randomly happen again and this time I screenshotted for you guys to see.

On top of the two pages of error code I have already shown you guys, I also get this:

2x [ADDON_ACTION_BLOCKED] AddOn 'RCLootCouncil' tried to call the protected function 'SetTargetClampingInsets()'.
[string "@!BugGrabber\BugGrabber.lua"]:519: in function <!BugGrabber\BugGrabber.lua:519>
[string "=[C]"]: in function `SetTargetClampingInsets'
[string "@Blizzard_NamePlates\Blizzard_NamePlates.lua"]:274: in function `SetupClassNameplateBars'
[string "@Blizzard_NamePlates\Blizzard_NamePlates.lua"]:96: in function `OnNamePlateAdded'
[string "@Blizzard_NamePlates\Blizzard_NamePlates.lua"]:51: in function <...eBlizzard_NamePlates\Blizzard_NamePlates.lua:42>

...as well as...

5x ...eBlizzard_NamePlates\Blizzard_NamePlates.lua:185: Usage: GetRaidTargetIndex(unit)
[string "=[C]"]: in function `GetRaidTargetIndex'
[string "@Blizzard_NamePlates\Blizzard_NamePlates.lua"]:185: in function `OnRaidTargetUpdate'
[string "@Blizzard_NamePlates\Blizzard_NamePlates.lua"]:99: in function `OnNamePlateAdded'

Locals:
Skipped (In Encounter)

Now, I thought I had found the offending addon finally. However, looking at the CurseForge website for the addon, I found another user who seems to have the EXACT same issue as me, however, the creator of RCLC pretty much said that it was not the fault of his addon, but rather, a nameplate addon. The link is below:

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addon...age=3#comments

I'm truly stuck. Does the image or the link give you guys any clues whatsoever?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_040220_010155.jpg
Views:	836
Size:	417.4 KB
ID:	9432  
04-01-20, 08:23 AM   #12
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
A google for that addonactionblocked error .. SetTargetClampingInsets .. came up with the following ...

https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/...ad.php?t=55127

It is a nameplate addon (https://www.wowinterface.com/downloa...ateColors.html ) that hasn't been updated since last year. Have you got that one installed ? Uninstall it and see how you fare for a while. It may still have in combat problems or forbidden commands being used.
04-16-20, 05:49 PM   #13
stako
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

I can replicate the Lua error with nearly any single addon loaded by itself. Some that I tested with: Details, Skada, sArena, BigDebuffs, OmniBar.

Make sure personal resource display is enabled & is hidden (i.e. out of combat with full health & mana). Open & close the interface options panel two times. Do something to make the personal resource display show up (e.g. heal yourself or take some fall damage)

Last edited by stako : 04-16-20 at 05:55 PM.
04-17-20, 03:15 PM   #14
frostimus
A Murloc Raider
Does that mean this is something to do with Blizzard’s native UI and not any addons? How can I stop this from happening to me randomly? I get this bug when I’m get into combat in Arenas and it really throws me off

EDIT: Also while I have been able to recreate this error with your method, this error occurs for me outside of said method too, completely randomly.

Last edited by frostimus : 04-17-20 at 03:30 PM.
04-17-20, 05:10 PM   #15
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
I'm not 100% confident there is NO solution but effectively, yes, unfortunately there isn't much you can do except let the blizzard guys know when and how you are getting the error. It might be a carry over from the code changes that occurred in BfA. There were a few in the early days but I haven't seeen or heard of them since so likely they were identified and fixed.

Hopefully someone can prove me wrong and has a solution you can implement in some form or another.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Nameplate/Personal Resource Bar Bug