09-09-09, 09:41 AM   #1
nickyjean
Premium Member
Premium Member
Self evaluation addon Suggestion

Ok so I was reading "Destruction for Dummies" addon which sounded kinda neat but I was hungry and tired and not focusing well. As I walked away from my computer, I was thinking about the other requests for an addon that would help you remember your keybindings. (It was along the lines of going to the dummies in the city and it would tell you what spells to hit, and time you on your accuracy and speed. Never really found what I was looking for.)

So then I though of something you can use in game, during battles that would display things at the end you could then read about after the battle was over or after you leave the dungeon. It would be like a grade and a critic of your performance. Each battle could give you a grade/percentage or something plus the explanations for that grade.

For example, I'm mostly a healer in groups. While in a raid it would tell me my healing score, which might be how much I healed vs over heal, missed opprotunities, Mana sheild wan't on for 3 seconds, earth sheild wasn't activated for 10 seconds, player dying big score dropper (but maybe you won't get a score at all if you wipe or maybe that might just be an option). It might even take into consideration how many times I tried to use a spell when the cool down wasn't done yet, because I could have been using something else. Maybe it would go so far to notice you didn't use a mana potion or check to see if you added buff/scrolls weren't active even though it was in your inventory~Item useage might be this category.

I figure all roles would have to be considered and all classes would have different options. But I figure (like maybe smart buff) if the player has options to click what to watch for then that might be useful for raid teaching.

DPS might have a ranking grade with party but then also negatively impact you if you arggo.

Tank might have a point of loss of arggo.

Any ideas or suggestion, or is this one a bit to complicated.
09-09-09, 10:55 AM   #2
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
It is both too complicated and kinda pointless.
(although I fully understand the appeal of the idea that made you suggest it)

Evaluation of individual performance in a team environment falls under the "too complicated" clause.

Because performance in a team environment is linked to 'team-set' goals for the individual.
Without knowing what those goals were it's impossible to give a proper evaluation.
That's what all the fuss with online combatlog parsers/analyzers is and on top of that
the need of raid leaders to go over them with a fine tooth comb and match numbers to tasks.

You cannot use the same 'ruler' to measure performance of a healer assigned to spot heal, as the one assigned to tank healing or 'special move of doom' healing.
And an addon has no way to know who was assigned to do what.
Same way you cannot use the same 'ruler' to measure performance of the dps kiting, doing heavy cc or removing debuffs as the one that 'stands and pew pews'.

Evaluation of your performance in a solo environment falls under the "kinda pointless" clause.
There are ample resources on the web modeling the optimal rotations for your class, gear level and spec.
Most an addon could do was help you with those rotations (several are available as you said),
or give you a number to shoot for (based on your gear score and talents): X DPS, Y HPS, Z TPS.
Most importantly your 'solo' performance is very loosely related to your team one.
As in you need to know how to use your class/spec to go anywhere but it's just the first step.
(see the correlation between skill and goals from part 1)

My 2c.

Last edited by Dridzt : 09-09-09 at 11:01 AM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Self evaluation addon Suggestion