05-27-09, 05:59 PM   #1
PerfectH
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Minion and Curse Client - Conflicting?

I'm not sure if this is related, coincidence, or irrelevant, but I downloaded Minion Beta today and let me just say it looks fantastic, no bugs yet.

However, I also use Curse Client and have a premium account so I can update all my AddOns at once. I ran Minion and it updated about half a dozen or more of my current AddOns. After running WoW, SLDataText looked as though it reset to default, which could be a problem of the AddOn author, but I'm not fussing about that.

But then, for kicks and giggles, I decided to run Curse Client, and a lot of the AddOns I had just updated through Minion were updated by Curse Client, which reported that those AddOns were either days or weeks old! Is this because the AddOn authors hadn't uploaded their updated versions to both websites at the same time, or is this a possible glitch?
05-27-09, 08:45 PM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This is actually a problem with the Curse Client. It keeps its own records about which versions of addons it thinks you have. This is why it reinstalls every addon the first time you use it -- it does not look at the TOC version field, but rather updates an internal database each time you use the Curse Client to download an update.

So, even though you updated AddonX from Version2 to Version3 with the Minion, since the last version the Curse Client downloaded was Version2, it thinks it needs to download Version3 to get you up to date, completely unaware that you've already done this by some other means.

Your best bet is to either (a) just let the Curse Client download duplicate updates, or (b) go through each addon that appears on both sites, figure out which on the author updates most frequently (or provides more prompt support, or whatever) and tell the other site's client to ignore the addon.
05-27-09, 11:28 PM   #3
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Minion will (should) only actually resync when you first install the program. After you've updated once with it, even if CC decides to overwrite the files, Minion won't fight back until a new version has been posted on WoWI. This is an intentional design decision of the WoWI module.

As for CC's reactions, I (obviously) can't speak to them.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
05-28-09, 12:58 AM   #4
Starfury
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
This is actually a problem with the Curse Client. It keeps its own records about which versions of addons it thinks you have. This is why it reinstalls every addon the first time you use it -- it does not look at the TOC version field, but rather updates an internal database each time you use the Curse Client to download an update.

So, even though you updated AddonX from Version2 to Version3 with the Minion, since the last version the Curse Client downloaded was Version2, it thinks it needs to download Version3 to get you up to date, completely unaware that you've already done this by some other means.

Your best bet is to either (a) just let the Curse Client download duplicate updates, or (b) go through each addon that appears on both sites, figure out which on the author updates most frequently (or provides more prompt support, or whatever) and tell the other site's client to ignore the addon.
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. I'm pretty sure the Curse Client is looking at the toc. I know just editing a line on the toc (for loadondemand for example) caused the Curse Client to note that there was something wrong with the addon. And I definitely didn't have to reinstall all my addons the first time I ran the Curse Client. It perfectly recognized almost all my addons that are available from their site. It also had very few addons which were recognized but with an incorrect version number.

On the other hand, Minion is telling me to update almost every addon I have, even ones which are already at the version it shows as the latest. That's not feasible as I'm on dialup. I'm not sure what the Curse Client is doing to determine versions of addons but at the moment it is doing a far better job than Minion, sad to say.

Minion also seems far too flexible in what it will accept when it can't find the addon, especially considering there's no way to know that it has done that without checking the more info option. Of course this is the beta so I don't expect it to be perfect.
05-28-09, 01:31 AM   #5
Tristanian
Andúril
Premium Member
As far as I can tell, CC adds a few extra X-embeds inside a .toc file, which, while not causing any problems ingame, can be considered by another updater as an "alteration". Your best bet imo, is to do what Phanx suggested :

...go through each addon that appears on both sites, figure out which on the author updates most frequently (or provides more prompt support, or whatever) and tell the other site's client to ignore the addon.
Simply put, you can run both updaters just fine, as long as you configure which one will be handling updates for duplicate addons (just to be on the safe side).
05-28-09, 08:45 AM   #6
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by Starfury View Post
On the other hand, Minion is telling me to update almost every addon I have, even ones which are already at the version it shows as the latest. That's not feasible as I'm on dialup. I'm not sure what the Curse Client is doing to determine versions of addons but at the moment it is doing a far better job than Minion, sad to say.
Minion is trying to resync any addons which appear not to match wowi's. This will only happen once and then stop, as I have already stated.

Originally Posted by Starfury View Post
Minion also seems far too flexible in what it will accept when it can't find the addon, especially considering there's no way to know that it has done that without checking the more info option. Of course this is the beta so I don't expect it to be perfect.
This is being addressed as issue #109
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
05-28-09, 01:28 PM   #7
Gimbli
Premium Member
Originally Posted by PerfectH View Post
[...] After running WoW, SLDataText looked as though it reset to default, which could be a problem of the AddOn author, but I'm not fussing about that. [...]
Nothing regarding the Saved Variables with SLDT has changed since pre-3.0, only the Durability module has been changed recently...but that's the only actual "option" change I've made in quite a while. I'm curious why this would happen via a Minion update.

I'm going to check it myself tonight via an update.
05-28-09, 05:33 PM   #8
eternal2u
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
imo drop curse and get the better updater ...

/trollover
05-29-09, 08:17 PM   #9
orionshock
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
[ iirc ]
Curse Client has a recursive detection, first trying to use the x-curse toc fields. If dosn't work it hashes specific files (or all?) in side the addon and sends that back to the API server to find the addon that way.

So if the wowi updater adds their id file to the folder, this throws the hash off and tells the updater to go get the new version. But CC won't remove this file and thus continues to fubar the hash.
[ / iirc ]

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Minion and Curse Client - Conflicting?