Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Another Site Hosting AddOns

May want to check and see if yours are there, without permission:

addons1.mmosite.com/wow/
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti

Last edited by Dolby : 03-11-10 at 11:35 AM.
03-11-10, 11:40 AM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Thanks for the heads up Cairenn.
03-11-10, 12:30 PM   #3
Soeters
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

Agree with Xrystal, thank you
03-11-10, 12:41 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Thanks - I've sent out a C&D email.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

03-11-10, 02:22 PM   #5
Starinnia
Ninja Code Monkey
Thanks for the heads up!
03-11-10, 04:14 PM   #6
Sythalin
Curse staff

Thanks for the notice. Just sent an email about my project listings as well.
03-12-10, 07:02 AM   #7
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Well, I wrote the following to them yesterday:
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Xrystal's Addons
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:26:08 -0000
To Whom it May Concern,

I respectfully request you to remove my addons from your site. I personally didn’t upload them and no-one contacted me and asked if I would like them hosted on your site. They should in fact only exist on WoWInterface.com or Curse.com or my own personal website. The following are the ones in particular :

nUI : InfoPanel [MagePorts] : addons1.mmosite.com/wow/content/2009-12-17/20091217005350274.shtml
nUI : InfoPanel [GuildChat] : addons1.mmosite.com/wow/content/2009-12-15/20091215191229435.shtml
nUI : InfoPanel [Decursive] : addons1.mmosite.com/wow/content/2009-11-18/20091118005533085.shtml

I don’t mind people linking to the WoWInterface page itself but please, take the files off of your server and direct people to the wowinterface page for downloads and more information. I will be checking back every so often to see that it gets done. I appreciate your speedy response to this request and await with baited breath for a speedy resolution.

Thank You
Xrystal
I then got the following in my mail box this morning ( unusally prompt reply ).

Sent: 12 March 2010 10:32
To: Xrystal
Subject: Re: Xrystal's Addons

Hi, Xrystal

We are so sorry about this, we will remove your addons soon, we hope that we can use your addons, waiting for your reply.
Have a nice day!
Imee
I promptly replied back as it sounds like they won't do anything until I do.
Hi,
If you had asked initially maybe but seeing as you didn’t in the first place the answer will have to be no. As I mentioned if you want to list your favourite addons then a link to the official page is the best way to go. So, I want the following done:

1. Remove the files from your server
2. Either remove the pages from your site or have them link to wowinterface.com pages for the relevant addon

Thank you in advance for following my requests relating to my addons.

Xrystal

Last edited by Zyonin : 03-12-10 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Removed parsed links
03-12-10, 09:51 AM   #8
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

I guess as soon as you upload a new version they will steal it again. They just have a script subscribed to our RSS and automaticly steal everything uploaded here including the description. They even stole my [/font] typo at the end of my ncUI description: addons1.mmosite.com/wow/content/2010-03-02/20100302232327112.shtml.

I would request anyone capable of representing WoWInterface to ask them seriously to stop downloading and reuploading addons from this site. It actually wouldn't surprise me if they would hotlink WoWInterface.com's files, since they use a .php download script to mask the real upload. They just couldve done this, where somequerylookup() would return the WoWInterface download link:

Code:
<?php
if (isset($_GET["id"])) {
	$link = somequerylookup($_GET["id"]);
	$addonname = someotherquery($_GET["id"]);
	$file = fopen($link, "r");
	$data = fread($file, filesize($link));
	fclose($file);
}
if ($data) {
header("Content-type: application/octet-stream");  
header("Content-disposition: attachment; filename=$addonname.zip");
echo $data;
}
?>

Last edited by Zyonin : 03-12-10 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Removed parsed links
03-12-10, 09:59 AM   #9
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Well, it looks like they did what I asked. My google searches on their site for my few addons they acquired linked to a page that contained no information and the download link errors out.
03-12-10, 10:13 AM   #10
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

If what I suspect is true, if you would upload one of your addons with an update it will be available on their site again. But they also could have a blacklist, or do it all manually, who knows?
03-12-10, 10:54 AM   #11
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by nightcracker View Post
If what I suspect is true, if you would upload one of your addons with an update it will be available on their site again. But they also could have a blacklist, or do it all manually, who knows?
Well I updated one of my other addons last night but they only had my 3 most downloaded addons out of the 15 I have. They won't really need updating till 3.3.3 so looks like it will be awhile rofl.
03-12-10, 12:07 PM   #12
Diagnostics
Medic!

Premium Member
Scumbags! I sincerely hope they stop all these shenanigans.
03-12-10, 02:04 PM   #13
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

I did a browse through this site and it's pretty clear (obvious to any one with an IQ level equal or better than a standard brick) that it's yet another Chinese rip off site. Lots of graphics ripped from other sites (mainly Chinese style anime characters though some Japanese style as well).

In the AddOns section, I am not finding any links back to other sites, it does list WoWInterface as a "development" site however no links or anything. Of course any gaming site that has an "adult" section is enough to set off alarms and such. Definitely dodgy all around.

I wonder if Blizzard can go after them since they are using WoW graphics (including the Wrath logo) yet they are not an authorized fansite and some of this site's content is definitely not "T" rated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, another thing, we don't want to give this site any help in Google's PageRank system. To avoid this, if you post a link to a file or page on their site, do the following:
  • Before you click "Submit Reply", scroll down.
  • Under the edit field and row of smilies look for three check boxes.
  • Clear the check box from "Automatically parse links in text"
  • Or put spaces in the URL so the system does not autoparse them and turn them into links.
  • Now you can click Submit Reply
I have fixed a couple of posts which had working links to that site. If you edit your post, you will have repeat the process.

Last edited by Zyonin : 03-12-10 at 02:22 PM. Reason: I need a Priest to dispell that nasty debuff: Typos!
03-12-10, 02:19 PM   #14
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Thanks for the heads up Cairenn
03-12-10, 02:21 PM   #15
Diagnostics
Medic!

Premium Member
A WHOIS search at domaintools brings up some interesting information.
03-12-10, 02:54 PM   #16
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Zyonin View Post
I did a browse through this site and it's pretty clear (obvious to any one with an IQ level equal or better than a standard brick) that it's yet another Chinese rip off site. Lots of graphics ripped from other sites (mainly Chinese style anime characters though some Japanese style as well).

In the AddOns section, I am not finding any links back to other sites, it does list WoWInterface as a "development" site however no links or anything. Of course any gaming site that has an "adult" section is enough to set off alarms and such. Definitely dodgy all around.

I wonder if Blizzard can go after them since they are using WoW graphics (including the Wrath logo) yet they are not an authorized fansite and some of this site's content is definitely not "T" rated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, another thing, we don't want to give this site any help in Google's PageRank system. To avoid this, if you post a link to a file or page on their site, do the following:
  • Before you click "Submit Reply", scroll down.
  • Under the edit field and row of smilies look for three check boxes.
  • Clear the check box from "Automatically parse links in text"
  • Or put spaces in the URL so the system does not autoparse them and turn them into links.
  • Now you can click Submit Reply
I have fixed a couple of posts which had working links to that site. If you edit your post, you will have repeat the process.
Ah thanks Zyonin. Both for editing my post and for telling me what that actually meant. Yes, the simple things usually confuse me more rofl.
03-12-10, 02:57 PM   #17
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
Ah thanks Zyonin. Both for editing my post and for telling me what that actually meant. Yes, the simple things usually confuse me more rofl.
LOL

Yay! I am filler text!
03-18-10, 11:20 PM   #18
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Hmm, just thought I would go check and make sure they truly have removed my addons. And I find this comment on one that the download link doesn't work anymore but the page exists.

All addons on our site are Uploaded by Users, and can be Downloaded For Free.
We shall not be liable for any disputes concerning the addons' copyrights.
All are welcome to upload addons. Click here to upload now!
Now, how do we cope with that issue ? Sigh, and another email to send as they have allowed another one of my addons to be uploaded. Time for me to make some steps.

Last edited by Xrystal : 03-18-10 at 11:29 PM.
03-18-10, 11:52 PM   #19
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
You send them a C&D &/or a DMCA take down notice, and send copies along to their IP &/or domain host.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
03-19-10, 12:08 AM   #20
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Thanks Cairenn,

I looked it up and located the EU equivalent. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32001L0029:EN:HTML At present they are quickly taking them down as they appear and repeatedly trying to get me to use them as another host to download from

For now I will keep an eye on it.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Another Site Hosting AddOns