09-08-14, 11:57 AM   #1
Duvdar
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Need complete add on help from the start.

Hey All

Been playing since Vanilla but always used just the standard wow setup. Always had a few add ons like Skada and such but want to finally branch out a little but I do not want to get crazy. So I am looking to make some minor changes without going all nuts like with an Elvui or something. Hopefully you can point me in the right direction.

The following things I want to add while leaving everything else the game...

1- The action bars, I want to be able to move them around and make them smaller. Any recommendation of an add on for that?

2- The character bar in the upper left hand corner of the screen. The one with your health and mana located in it. I want to move that and the one that shows up when I click on a mob to the middle of the screen and have the ability to change what those boxes look like. Give them a cooler look to them. Any recommendation for that?

3- I have seen on some videos how people have the damage being done and other things showing the numbers in the middle of their screen in green font. Any idea what that is?

Sorry if it sounds hard to explain all this but as I started always went with the default for most things.

Any help or recommendations on things to check out would be a big help thanks!
09-08-14, 12:27 PM   #2
def9
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Keep in mind what I'm listing below are options. Maybe someone else will have even better ideas to suggest that may keep things even closer to what you want.

1 - Action bar mods are out there and Dominos or Bartender4 are good places to start. They are easily customize-able and do the things you mentioned.

2 - Outside of a mod like UnitFramesPlus which I'm not sure if it still works you may have to look at a complete unit frames mod. Things like StufUnitFrames or PerlClassicUnitFrames are two out of many.

3 - You can turn on the floating combat text in blizzards own interface options. However if you mean you want it fully customized then you would need to look into mods like MikScrollingBattleText or XCT+.

Last edited by def9 : 09-08-14 at 12:29 PM. Reason: sigh spelling again
09-08-14, 01:05 PM   #3
Duvdar
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by def9 View Post
Keep in mind what I'm listing below are options. Maybe someone else will have even better ideas to suggest that may keep things even closer to what you want.

1 - Action bar mods are out there and Dominos or Bartender4 are good places to start. They are easily customize-able and do the things you mentioned.

2 - Outside of a mod like UnitFramesPlus which I'm not sure if it still works you may have to look at a complete unit frames mod. Things like StufUnitFrames or PerlClassicUnitFrames are two out of many.

3 - You can turn on the floating combat text in blizzards own interface options. However if you mean you want it fully customized then you would need to look into mods like MikScrollingBattleText or XCT+.
Thanks let me take a look at these when I get home today and let you know how they fit. Thanks
09-08-14, 06:49 PM   #4
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

2. the default blizzard unitframes already have an option to make them moveable. Try rightklicking them.
09-08-14, 07:22 PM   #5
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Unit Frames - You could also try PitBull4 Unit Frames, and Parrot for scrolling combat text.

I'd go with Dominos for an action bar replacement. It's so much easier to set up than Bartender4. That's about the only difference between them. Oh, yeah, almost forgot, there's a Wiki available for Dominos in case you're having trouble with it.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!
09-09-14, 05:04 AM   #6
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
Parrot for scrolling combat text.
Parrot has not seen any updates at all in a year, and it was abandoned by its author long before that. I would strongly recommend that new users stay away from addons that are not actively maintained -- it's likely they'll have bugs, and likely that they'll break entirely in the near future, especially with an expansion coming up.

Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
I'd go with Dominos for an action bar replacement. It's so much easier to set up than Bartender4.
As a Bartender4 user, I disagree with that statement; I found the Dominos configuration unintuitive and extremely annoying, with the options shown in a tiny, tiny box that's hard to read at all and only fits about 5 options at once, so you have to switch between panels all the time. By contrast, BT4's options are normally-sized and all in one place.

Just try both, and see which one you prefer.
09-09-14, 01:37 PM   #7
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
As a Bartender4 user, I disagree with that statement; I found the Dominos configuration unintuitive and extremely annoying, with the options shown in a tiny, tiny box that's hard to read at all and only fits about 5 options at once, so you have to switch between panels all the time. By contrast, BT4's options are normally-sized and all in one place.

Just try both, and see which one you prefer.
As a Dominos user I recomand Dominos to new users that used the default UI till now because Dominos takes you original Keybindings from Blizzard and you don't have to rebind all keys on /10 chars like in Bartender4!
09-09-14, 01:46 PM   #8
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Tonyleila View Post
As a Dominos user I recomand Dominos to new users that used the default UI till now because Dominos takes you original Keybindings from Blizzard and you don't have to rebind all keys on /10 chars like in Bartender4!
I never had to rebind any keys...
09-09-14, 02:41 PM   #9
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

I never had to rebind any keys...
Just disable Bartender and there you go all keybindings gone exapt bar 1. Disable Dominos and you keybindings are still there!
09-09-14, 02:47 PM   #10
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Tonyleila View Post
Just disable Bartender ...
But why would I ever do that?
09-09-14, 02:51 PM   #11
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

But why would I ever do that?
Beta testing, Play on patchday, any annoying error AND as said if you install the addon the first time you'll have to rebind all keys because it dosen't read out blizzards keybinds and dosen't display the binds on your bar exapt bar 1.

edit: of cause YOU woud not disable it since you know how to fix an error on patchday

Last edited by Tonyleila : 09-09-14 at 02:56 PM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Need complete add on help from the start.