11-22-10, 07:34 AM   #1
guntosis
A Defias Bandit
Anyone ever experience this?

First and foremost, awesome mod Scott. I love it. But on to the reason for my post. I have posted this (cut and paste from there) on the WoW Tech Support forums to see if I could get any help but they seem pretty clueless. Hoping someone here might know ...

===========================================

I just spent the last 2-3 hours pouring over posts of WoW players with the same problem as myself. Let me break it down into the description followed by steps taken by myself to resolve this and lastly, my system specs.

Description
Initially occurred when I went into Arathi Basin two nights ago (shortly after a brief patch / hot fix that also resolved the keep doors in the BG [whose name is alluding me right now] where you have the Docks, Workshop and Hanger). The system shuts completely down although my fans are still running and the motherboard has 'flea-power' (for those not familiar with the term, it means the motherboard is still powered by the PSU). Power and Reboot button do absolutely nothing. My monitor goes into a 'no video state' and my G19 keyboard shows no power / usb connection. From that point, a hard reset of the power supply is required. Upon completing that, everything returns to normal. Windows boots fine, no issues what-so-ever.

Since the original occurrence, it has happened several times (often when I am smashing some poor Mage in the face). It usually occurs in battlegrounds, however I have seen in happen at the WoW login screen as well. I have checked the event logs and nothing gets recorded except this entry:

The previous system shutdown at 7:19:55 AM on ‎11/‎21/‎2010 was unexpected.
Steps Taken to Resolve not in any particular order
- Full shutdown / Restart
- Updated BIOS, Video Card, Sound Card, Motherboard and RAID drivers
- Checked Temps (CPU 38, North Bridge 49, South Bridge 40 and Video Card 35)
- Cleaned all fans and tested to make sure they worked, this includes 'dust bunnies' in the case
- Deleted WoW related folders (WTF, Cache etc)
- Complete Repair of WoW install (this option has no since stopped, says no servers found)
- Reinstalled WoW - twice now
- Disabled all addons
- Verified Windows doesn't automatically reboot on crash
- No BSOD, just powers off. Hard PSU reset required

System Specs
- ATI Radeon 5870
- AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
- Corsair DDR3, 1600MHz 8GB (4x2GB) DOMINATOR
- Asus Crosshair IV Formula Socket AM3 AMD 890FX + SB850
- Dual WD 300GB VelociRaptor Drives in a RAID 0
- Creative SB X-Fi Fatality XGamer
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
- Razer Mamba Mouse
- Logitech G19 Keyboard
- Steelseries 5H v2 Headset
- Samsung T220 Monitor
- OCZ 1000W PSU

Final Conclusion
Since this occurred after a WoW patch, I am led to believe one of three things has happened (after all the work I have done). Either the patch did something, a component has failed but is not noticed as failing or lastly, the new patch has caused a conflict within on of my components. I am not sure how or why this happens and I am hoping something can shed some light on the situation.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by guntosis : 11-22-10 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Forum Code incompatibilities

11-22-10, 08:41 AM   #2
Dawn
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
How long was the system offline/down after you checked those temperatures?

CPU 38, North Bridge 49, South Bridge 40 and Video Card 35
I assume ~5-10 minutes? The North Bridge just seems freaking hot, could be an overheating issue resulting in an emergency shutdown. What are the temperatures during playing WoW? Check the highest value(s) and compare it to the Shutdown Temperature in your BIOS. If it is really close, you know you have a problem on high load situations.

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

11-22-10, 01:13 PM   #3
guntosis
A Defias Bandit
Those are steady temperatures during full load. Once the system shuts off I assume they drop rapidly as after about a minute, checking in the BIOS shows anywhere from 5 to 10 degree difference (lower of course).

As for the NB, thats actually pretty low. The warning threshold from the manufacturer is 90 degrees. Automatic shut off is normally at 100.

11-28-10, 07:58 PM   #4
theparanoid
A Defias Bandit
This sounds similar to a problems my wife PC had a while back. However for her it was raids. I replace the power supply. Build wife and my system with a 430W. Five months later we I install a GeForce GTS 250 in both pc. Year after that I went with the 700W power supply because in the time between the video card update she kept having problems. I had contact EVGA when we got the card. They said the power supply I had would work. But the wife pc would just get a blank screen. with fan noses. No matter the video setting. Ever since I put the new power supply in not a single problem.

Last edited by theparanoid : 11-28-10 at 10:23 PM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Technical Support » Anyone ever experience this?