08-30-17, 07:17 AM   #1
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Talking The Sound of a Patch Breaking

Ahh, the sounds of addons breaking and addon authors updating them as fast as they can.

7.3 is a pretty big patch (eight hours of server maintenance even with preloading the patch), I haven't seen this much chaos in a while. IIRC, Legion's launch was fairly smooth.

As much as I want to play, I think I will wait till the weekend for the kinks to get worked out and most of my addons to get updated (some need more than a .TOC update).
08-30-17, 11:08 AM   #2
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
The problem with changing PlaySound is it will "break " many addons that aren't being maintained but work perfectly well otherwise.
08-30-17, 09:25 PM   #3
Ammako
A Frostmaul Preserver
Originally Posted by Fizzlemizz View Post
The problem with changing PlaySound is it will "break " many addons that aren't being maintained but work perfectly well otherwise.
From my point of view that was a pretty fun one, seeing so many addons in my repertoire reporting the same PlaySound errors and completely breaking beyond use.
6 addons that do completely unrelated tasks, and all it took to single-handedly break all of them at once? A function to play sound files, which is even more unrelated. It's just so dumb I can't help but laugh at it. I probably have other addons that were also affected by this that I've yet to notice.

But yeah I guess this feels like change for the sake of change lol, but at least it's a really easy fix, and if an addon isn't maintained anymore, I can just leave a comment on the page with instructions on fixing for people who may come across the addon and would want to use it.

What I'd give to just have official + up-to-date/complete API documentation straight from Blizzard with a complete changelog whenever patches happen, lol. Do people just rely on looking at diffs or is there some other place people find all their info on what changed between patches that I haven't heard of? (mostly asking for somebody else but I'd probably be interested too tbh.)
08-31-17, 12:40 AM   #4
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Ammako View Post
Do people just rely on looking at diffs...
Yes. (10chars)
08-31-17, 12:49 AM   #5
lightspark
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by p3lim View Post
Yes. (10chars)
And Dan. /10char
08-31-17, 01:26 AM   #6
BujuArena
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I made a handy little tool called PlaySoundFixer to fix PlaySound breakage.

https://wow.curseforge.com/projects/playsoundfixer

This tiny addon hooks PlaySound, running any working PlaySound call and preventing any broken PlaySound call from breaking the game and telling you the line of code in your broken addon so you can go comment it out (with "--" at the beginning of the line) or fix it (with "SOUNDKIT.THE_CORRECT_SOUND").

Here's the code:

Code:
local oldPlaySound = PlaySound
PlaySound = function(sound, ...)
    if type(sound)=="number" then
        return oldPlaySound(sound, ...)
    else
        local soundstring = tostring(sound)
        local source = gsub(strtrim(debugstack(2,1,0),".\n"),"Interface\\AddOns\\","")
        print("PSF: broken PlaySound(\""..soundstring.."\") called from "..source)
    end
end
08-31-17, 09:44 AM   #7
Kanegasi
A Molten Giant

Things may have changed, but in the past, PlaySound has been a taint proxy. I wouldn't replace it since you'll end up with CompactRaidFrame taints.
08-31-17, 10:03 AM   #8
BujuArena
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Hopefully it's okay. It's been okay in my play-testing so far; haven't seen any taint-related issues with it yet.
09-02-17, 03:00 AM   #9
BujuArena
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I encountered a taint-related issue when trying to use toys. I've added a warning about this to the addon description on CurseForge.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » General WoW Chat » The Sound of a Patch Breaking