10-01-12, 11:52 AM   #1
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Current Plans For Carbonite

Here is my current plans for the code, in order of priority.

Immediate - 1) Update 5.041 GPL with my 5.05 changes.

Future:
Maps:
1) Separate purely the maps into it's own addon "Carbonite Maps" to be the base starting point of all future
work.
2) Change Carbonite Maps to Use AceDB w/ Profiles, and AceOptions
3) Change Carbonite Maps to Use AceLocale, update every part of the maps to be locale friendly.
4) Celebrate cuz were on our way with a modular Carbonite.

Quests:
1) Convert all the quests to plain english from the bytecode
2) Make it easier to add/remove/fix quests, converting it to plain english will make it huge ... possibly larger
then the original carbonite we got (35000 quests, 4-5 lines each quest...) maybe split them up in a
subfolder by zone? continent? patch level?
3) get the new quests added
4) Celebrate, cuz this is the test of modularization to it's fullest... we get to this point the rest is smooth sailing.

10-01-12, 01:09 PM   #2
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
There was only one other time that I was this excited about Carbonite, and that was when I made my first subscription payment way back when.

This is so totally awesome... thanks for all the work you're putting forth into this!!

10-01-12, 03:05 PM   #3
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Just a quick question about modularization, from a non-programmers viewpoint.

Will the combined parts have a much larger footprint because it is modularized?

I use a lot of the features of Carbonite; Map, BG, Punks (a little), Warehouse (especially for professions) and node routing (please tell me this is staying and how we can contribute when you're ready). I'm not sure if there is more that I'm not thinking of, but I'm glad to see the options are also (eventually) going to be re-hauled as that has been a long time gripe with Carbonite.

Thanks again for spearheading this large project!

10-01-12, 03:23 PM   #4
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by schizophrena View Post
Just a quick question about modularization, from a non-programmers viewpoint.

Will the combined parts have a much larger footprint because it is modularized?

I use a lot of the features of Carbonite; Map, BG, Punks (a little), Warehouse (especially for professions) and node routing (please tell me this is staying and how we can contribute when you're ready). I'm not sure if there is more that I'm not thinking of, but I'm glad to see the options are also (eventually) going to be re-hauled as that has been a long time gripe with Carbonite.

Thanks again for spearheading this large project!
In theory, if you have everything enabled it should be the same size.

10-01-12, 07:06 PM   #5
mcaran
A Murloc Raider
Hi Hythal,

Why not use any well know database addon to supply the data for quests and gathering ?
Many of them can be accessed through Ace methods. I guess you could take out this heavy work thatīs already been done by other developers. Such approach should save your time to work in the addon code itself.

Also I am working on a Carbonite punk like addon for PVP, BG and PVP servers to learn some of the WOW API concepts. I use ACE as well.

If you want help on, just ping me. I never did any WOW addon but I have knowledge on C++ programming and I did couple 3D engines in the past for learning purposes.

10-01-12, 07:29 PM   #6
arilen
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
:
Maps:
1) Separate purely the maps into it's own addon "Carbonite Maps" to be the base starting point of all future
work.
OMG, I think i just pee'd a little.

I Have always wished that I could just get the map by it self ,
I use other addons for all most everything else,
but no other map addon even comes close.
I am a addon addict, I constantly change my ui,
and carbonite was ALWAYS the first addon I would install.
I tryed to use the stock map when mop came out but I was lost in game without it.

I rarely ever post on forums ,but I had to just come here and say

Bless you Rythal.

I hope you get everything you want for Christmas and more.

Arilen

10-01-12, 07:33 PM   #7
linneon
A Kobold Labourer
Carbonite on Curse

You have no idea how glad I am that the authors released their work and you have taken it upon yourself to keep it alive!

One question I had was will you be releasing updates on curse.com for those of use that use Curse client it would make it much easier?

Thanks again!

10-01-12, 08:10 PM   #8
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

[Suggestion] Warehouse improvement

Rythal, I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for suggestions, but I don't see a better one, and so here it is. Since you plan on use Ace3 to build the locales, options, etc, that allows LibStub and CallbackHandler. Taking it a step further, you could improve the Warehouse with syncing. To that end, would LibGuildBankComm be of use to you? The API is easy and straightforward, the lib is secure, and only concerns itself with the guild bank. It also does most of the heavy lifting for you.

10-02-12, 01:38 AM   #9
Meganbtoo
An Aku'mai Servant
Rythal, you are my hero. I have been using other addons until I saw you have officially taken over. Thank you so much for all your work, and looking forward to questing in MoP again

10-02-12, 02:59 AM   #10
Adraste
A Kobold Labourer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by linneon View Post
You have no idea how glad I am that the authors released their work and you have taken it upon yourself to keep it alive!

One question I had was will you be releasing updates on curse.com for those of use that use Curse client it would make it much easier?

Thanks again!
First of all, congratulations to Rythal for saving this huge addon, and to the original authors for GPLing it (that should be a verb ! ). That's a lot of courage from both sides here.

I've been one of the silent users of Carbonite that relied on it for so long, and I always found painful to update it. Would it be possible to release it on Curse ? I'm sure such an event would make it even more popular.

10-02-12, 03:13 AM   #11
Qin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Distribution

Rythal & Team;

Know your busy busting arses and shaking down code.....

When it comes time for distribution of Carbonite (New & Improved), are you going to
only distribute from WowInterface? Will you consider using Curse as well once it's a
finished product?

Also, regarding Curse, will contact with them be established to update the data they
hold for Curse regarding Authorhood and POC's (Points of Contact) for the older version
they are hosting there?

I believe that Curse still is offering 4.03 and not the last one the Originators put out here.

Just trying to help nail down all the loose and flapping ends of the puzzle.

Keep up the good work,
Qin

10-02-12, 05:59 AM   #12
Lythlynia
A Murloc Raider
About Time!!

Congratulations!! Rythal. Gladto see we are all in great hands.

10-02-12, 06:53 AM   #13
Khalipso
A Murloc Raider
thank you!

i registered for wow interface just to be able to say thanks! i've been waiting for carbonite to be updated, and have always secretly hoped for a moddable carbonite for ages. so this is like a bonus bonus for me!

thank you thank you thank you!!

10-02-12, 07:10 AM   #14
coyot
A Murloc Raider
Rythal, do not forget about RU realms, hopefully support and performance will be the same as before. Thank you!

10-02-12, 08:21 AM   #15
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Rythal, are you going to need user submitted data to help you with the quest and gathering data bases?

If so, please let us know how we can get it to you.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

10-02-12, 09:21 AM   #16
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
Rythal, are you going to need user submitted data to help you with the quest and gathering data bases?

If so, please let us know how we can get it to you.
Eventually, but not yet. If the saved variables are anything like the rest it's using bytecode (tho I haven't looked into it fully to know) and one thing I'm trying to avoid is having any bytecode anymore. Most likely i'll go the way most addons seem and just simple math so it's readable but still just one variable. X * 10000 + Y * 10 (so 67.4, 23.3 would show as 674233)

10-02-12, 09:35 AM   #17
Shulkman
A Defias Bandit
Thank you Rythal

I have been using Carbonite for a long time... beginning of Wrath I believe. For you to jump up and do the work to get it functioning for 5.0.4 was a great thing. To the authors of old, thank you for all of your work over the years, and for releasing that work under the GPL so that it could continue to give happiness to the masses. Rythal, you have a heck of a job ahead of you, but I'm sure that we all will be very patient while you do your work.

10-02-12, 10:27 AM   #18
aric420
A Defias Bandit
help cant get carbonite to work!

Sorry dont know if im in the right forum or not this is my first time ever posting. I have downloaded carbonite and reinstalled carbonite several times. I have turned off all other addons and tried deleting mw wtf folder. No matter what I do I cant get carbonite working and everything i have read here recently says that it is working somewhat. I have been lost without carbonite since MoP! please help! By the way thank you rythal for picking this back up and keeping it alive WoW isnt the same without carbonite

10-02-12, 10:43 AM   #19
arilen
A Defias Bandit
go to rythal.com look at the top, click on carbonite fan update download.
Unzip the file in your wow/interface/addon folder, it will ask you if you want to overwrite the file , say yes, should work now

10-02-12, 11:56 AM   #20
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
you don't need to get it from my site anymore, the latest version is here on WoWUI and should be installable like the old.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Current Plans For Carbonite