Originally Posted by Muezick View Post
So now where do donations go to?
Yeah, where do we donate to help out?

10-03-12, 03:29 AM   #23
Lythlynia
A Murloc Raider
Big Black Circle!!

Howdy Rythal,
Thank you is my first message, second is I am still getting the Big Dreaded Circle where my mini-map (merged map and Detail map) used to be. If im in Ironforge or in the Mist maps I cant see anything but my tracking icons. Is there a fix soon?

Patiently waiting

10-03-12, 06:14 AM   #24
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Lythlynia View Post
Howdy Rythal,
Thank you is my first message, second is I am still getting the Big Dreaded Circle where my mini-map (merged map and Detail map) used to be. If im in Ironforge or in the Mist maps I cant see anything but my tracking icons. Is there a fix soon?

Patiently waiting
Not sure if your dreaded big circle is the same one I was having, but mine was caused by Blood Shield Tracker. Not sure why it was causing it, but once I disabled BST the big circle disappeared from my minimap.

10-03-12, 06:53 AM   #25
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Lythlynia View Post
Howdy Rythal,

Patiently waiting
There is no fix, and won't ever be a fix, it's a blizzard bug with transparencies... you have 2 options to deal with it, 1) in those zones right click the map, Select Minimap, then change it's transparency to either 1 or 0 and that will stop it going black.

The other option is to go into Options, and under Map Minimap there is 2 options one called Minimap docks in known bugged zones, and Minimap toggles full size in known bugged zones... using those you can have the minimap tuck itself in the corner or become the full map if carbonite knows it would turn black.

10-03-12, 11:01 AM   #26
patrick51
An Aku'mai Servant
modular why?

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
Here is my current plans for the code, in order of priority.

Immediate - 1) Update 5.041 GPL with my 5.05 changes.

Future:
Maps:
1) Separate purely the maps into it's own addon "Carbonite Maps" to be the base starting point of all future
work.
2) Change Carbonite Maps to Use AceDB w/ Profiles, and AceOptions
3) Change Carbonite Maps to Use AceLocale, update every part of the maps to be locale friendly.
4) Celebrate cuz were on our way with a modular Carbonite.

Quests:
1) Convert all the quests to plain english from the bytecode
2) Make it easier to add/remove/fix quests, converting it to plain english will make it huge ... possibly larger
then the original carbonite we got (35000 quests, 4-5 lines each quest...) maybe split them up in a
subfolder by zone? continent? patch level?
3) get the new quests added
4) Celebrate, cuz this is the test of modularization to it's fullest... we get to this point the rest is smooth sailing.
why would you want to break it up? That just creates more add-ons that have to be able to interact with each other any change to one part is going to make problems with the other parts. For example if the map is separate then the questing part has to talk to the map part to show data. If its made in pieces its no better then the 20+ other add-ons that you have to down load a questing add-on then a map add-on etc.

And yes if you separate it is going to have a bigger foot print then it does now. You will have redundant code in each module.

10-03-12, 11:06 AM   #27
Zarggg
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
No, it doesn't create "more addons". It splits the functionality of this addon into multiple modules that can can be activated or deactivated independently. The Maps module will merely be the base that the other modules depend on. It will not create problems or greatly increase the overhead.

10-03-12, 11:20 AM   #28
U.E. Admiral
A Kobold Labourer
I'm pleased to hear that Carbonite will continue to be updated, and especially happy to hear that there will be an attempt to modularize it--particularly the map!

My oh-so-very selfish, self-important, and ignorant request, however, is a timeline. Especially recently, we get a patch and Carbonite is one of the last addons (that I use, anyway) to be updated--granted this was prior management. Each time, I go looking around for information on when I can expect it to be ready, but don't find a clear cut, simple "try back in X number of days/weeks."

On a semi-related note, I always went to CarboniteAddon.com for my update. It seems that place is still saying 5.041 when current is 5.051. I suspect that is again prior management and the transition is still taking place. Will you be taking over that site, or creating a new one, or what?

10-03-12, 10:01 PM   #29
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by U.E. Admiral View Post
My oh-so-very selfish, self-important, and ignorant request, however, is a timeline.
I'm pretty selfish about my requests too, but lets not worry about a timeline until Rythal has figured out a bunch of the code and worked on it. That in itself will still take some time. We don't want to scare him away already!

10-03-12, 10:20 PM   #30
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
yeah... it's taking time just to get the GPL caught up... a lot longer then I expected it to

It's over and done with now that we have the original source code, but if anyone ever needed proof they were obfuscating the code this was it.

I can't even do searches for variable names because what I was working with were variable names like Map.MaI with subs Na, FNam, X,Y,Min1,Max1 ... now it's Map.MapInfo with subs Name, FileName, X, Y, Min, Max as it should of been all along, but it means tracking down everything is taking longer then making the changes themselves.

10-04-12, 12:32 AM   #31
tinyu
A Molten Giant

and once that's all sorted and you know whats what and whos who life will become that much easier and carbonite will be that much better

10-04-12, 10:30 AM   #32
Subzero7
A Fallenroot Satyr
Suggestion

Hey Rythal, thank you for keeping Carbonite alive. Really appreciate what you're doing. I just wanted to suggest (request) that you make Carbonite available for updates via Wowmatrix if possible. Mind you, I'll jump through whatever hoops necessary to get it, but Wowmartix is a nice one-stop-shopping area for many of the best addons.

Again, thanks for everything.

10-04-12, 10:37 AM   #33
Katareena
A Kobold Labourer
Adding my request to others. Where/how can we donate to help you keep going? This community is a large, strong and very dedicated one. We want to help!

10-04-12, 11:52 AM   #34
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Subzero7 View Post
Hey Rythal, thank you for keeping Carbonite alive. Really appreciate what you're doing. I just wanted to suggest (request) that you make Carbonite available for updates via Wowmatrix if possible. Mind you, I'll jump through whatever hoops necessary to get it, but Wowmartix is a nice one-stop-shopping area for many of the best addons.

Again, thanks for everything.
That's a sure-fire way to get it UN-hosted from this site and probably Curse as well.
Uploading UIs sticky

10-04-12, 12:37 PM   #35
sgtevmckay
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Thanks once again Rythal.
More Donation when my wife and I can afford friend.
Any testing or information assistance you may need, do not hesitate to ask.

Regards
The Sarge

10-04-12, 12:43 PM   #36
sgtevmckay
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Regarding Donations to Rythal !!!

Ok Folks, If you are interested in donating to Rythal.
You can go here: http://rythal.com/
Unless Rythal advises otherwise

The donation button is on the lower right hand side. below all the twitter tidbits.

10-04-12, 12:53 PM   #37
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Dridzt View Post
That's a sure-fire way to get it UN-hosted from this site and probably Curse as well.
Uploading UIs sticky
WowMatrix = death. As a Curse moderator, I can confirm Dridzt's guess. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY should be using WowMatrix, unless they enjoy viruses, being shunned from the addon community, hate addons and addon authors, and you are generally referred to as your other name: The Devil.

Curse and WowInterface, a few years ago, kicked WM to the curb for all the horrid things they were doing, and rightfully so. If you are using the program, then let me be blunt -- you are incredibly stupid.

10-04-12, 01:09 PM   #38
mjumnito
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by myrroddin View Post
WowMatrix = death. As a Curse moderator, I can confirm Dridzt's guess. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY should be using WowMatrix, unless they enjoy viruses, being shunned from the addon community, hate addons and addon authors, and you are generally referred to as your other name: The Devil.

Curse and WowInterface, a few years ago, kicked WM to the curb for all the horrid things they were doing, and rightfully so. If you are using the program, then let me be blunt -- you are incredibly stupid.
while I agree with everything you said here. I would like to point out that sometimes incredibly stupid does not always = incredibly stupid. In rare cases incredibly stupid just means they are not up to speed (educated) on what they did, they being WM.

10-04-12, 01:18 PM   #39
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
I removed the donation link from rythal.com. I really do appreciate people wanting to donate, and I hope you still do in the future, but until I get the GPL version finished and uploaded I feel extremely guilty having donations sent to me for nothing during a feature freeze. Even if it's towards what i've done already / against the hopes of the future.

I've tried to stay quiet on it, while I thought over it last night since coming to the full realization of it... and a lot of it has to do with my own personal morals, reguardless what anyone else says.. at this time that the carbonite code I was working on, and was the basis of my updates broke blizzards terms. I won't remove it for download because I don't know how long until I get the new one finished, but I won't accept donations against it.

And for those asking about curse all the time, it's the same reason curse has not been updated yet ... I don't want to submit a patch to them I know breaks the terms, The carbonite team might of had permission ... but I never had that permission.

Last edited by Rythal : 10-04-12 at 01:27 PM.

10-04-12, 03:49 PM   #40
lerb
A Frostmaul Preserver

I just wanted to drop by and say that you seem like a generally awesome guy Rythal. Good work so far and good luck creating whatever Carbonite will end up being

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Current Plans For Carbonite