10-04-12, 06:52 PM   #41
beastnh
A Defias Bandit
Carbonite

I love this addon and if it is needed to help carry on the work I would takeover payments on the domain name and or webhosting for the main website and still integrate it with WoW Interface.

10-04-12, 07:04 PM   #42
sideband
A Defias Bandit
About the "glow" effect...

Would it be possbile, since "glow" is giving so much trouble, to change the color of the "pip" gather nodes are from yellow to orange? It'd really help us hunters who are also gatherers out to be able to tell the difference between "neutral" NPCs/critters and gather nodes.

10-04-12, 09:32 PM   #43
amkosh
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by patrick51 View Post
why would you want to break it up? That just creates more add-ons that have to be able to interact with each other any change to one part is going to make problems with the other parts. For example if the map is separate then the questing part has to talk to the map part to show data. If its made in pieces its no better then the 20+ other add-ons that you have to down load a questing add-on then a map add-on etc.

And yes if you separate it is going to have a bigger foot print then it does now. You will have redundant code in each module.
The problem with a monolithic design like carbonite lies in maintenance of the software. One of the reasons why Carbonite has lagged, and in my experience, it always lags in expansions, at least it did in cata as well, is that it is so big, it naturally takes time to get it fixed and ready. Maybe maps was ready PDQ, but it has to wait for quests, and wharehouse, and punks, etc.

Will it have a bigger foot print? maybe. And it won't likely be much of a different user experience. Take Trade Skill Master for example, Sapu broke it up into multiple mods and he does well with it, so there's little reason to fear having carbonite separated out.

10-05-12, 07:50 AM   #44
Khalipso
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by sideband View Post
Would it be possbile, since "glow" is giving so much trouble, to change the color of the "pip" gather nodes are from yellow to orange? It'd really help us hunters who are also gatherers out to be able to tell the difference between "neutral" NPCs/critters and gather nodes.
as a hunter, i'd support this as well. the "glow" never appealed to me much tbh.

10-05-12, 08:25 AM   #45
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Unfortunately there is no way to split the two, all the icons you see on the minimap come out of a single graphic file, the way glow worked was flipping between 2 files, one with the icon brighter then the other. If I tried to change the colour, it would change it for all the nodes not just the one type.

10-05-12, 02:43 PM   #46
sideband
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
Unfortunately there is no way to split the two, all the icons you see on the minimap come out of a single graphic file, the way glow worked was flipping between 2 files, one with the icon brighter then the other. If I tried to change the colour, it would change it for all the nodes not just the one type.
How about overlaying the gather nodes with a different color pip, much like the flightmaster and mailbox overlays? Would that be do-able?

10-05-12, 06:07 PM   #47
tinyu
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by sideband View Post
How about overlaying the gather nodes with a different color pip, much like the flightmaster and mailbox overlays? Would that be do-able?
I believe he would have to manually do that for every single gather node in the entire game, no small feat, if it's even possible at all.

10-05-12, 10:32 PM   #48
jbennettsr
A Defias Bandit
Thumbs up

Rythal,
Thanks for taking this project over,been my favorite add-on since i knew what an add-on was.

10-05-12, 11:56 PM   #49
kaerwyn-k
A Kobold Labourer
Question

I have a question and I was not able to find an answer reading through this thread. I have install Rythal's newest release of Carbonite (thank you for that, by the way). I have enabled track herbs, on both the WoW minimap and the show herb locations on the carbonite section of the map, and yet the places where nodes used to show up on Carbonite's map are no longer showing. Is this feature gone, or is there a way I do not know about to enable them? (Importing carbonite nodes via the guide section in the options just says none can be found).

Thanks,
Heather

10-06-12, 05:51 AM   #50
Subzero7
A Fallenroot Satyr
WoWmatrix

Originally Posted by Dridzt View Post
That's a sure-fire way to get it UN-hosted from this site and probably Curse as well.
Uploading UIs sticky
Ok, I read the link you shared, and the writer says "don't use WoWmatrix in the first place," but doesn't say why. So the question is, why shouldn't this (or any other) "add-on" be "shared" by WoWmatrix. Just curious.

10-06-12, 12:52 PM   #51
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Subzero7 View Post
Ok, I read the link you shared, and the writer says "don't use WoWmatrix in the first place," but doesn't say why. So the question is, why shouldn't this (or any other) "add-on" be "shared" by WoWmatrix. Just curious.
This one does.

10-06-12, 05:53 PM   #52
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by kaerwyn-k View Post
I have a question and I was not able to find an answer reading through this thread. I have install Rythal's newest release of Carbonite (thank you for that, by the way). I have enabled track herbs, on both the WoW minimap and the show herb locations on the carbonite section of the map, and yet the places where nodes used to show up on Carbonite's map are no longer showing. Is this feature gone, or is there a way I do not know about to enable them? (Importing carbonite nodes via the guide section in the options just says none can be found).

Thanks,
Heather
Two things: One is that you might not be in an area where Carbonite even HAS any nodes to import (like the new Pandaren starting area, although that shouldn't stop the nodes import). The other is what follows.

Please make sure your installation of Carbonite is up-to-date. The latest version of Carbonite is available HERE. Please, be aware that the latest release contains ONLY the main Carbonite folder. If you either deleted your entire Carbonite installation (that would be the four folders: Carbonite, CarboniteItems, CarboniteNodes, CarboniteTransfer) before updating, or you have a new installation of Carbonite using the latest Carbonite download (which doesn't contain the other folders), that's why it can't find the nodes to import.

PLEASE EXIT WoW COMPLETELY BACK TO YOUR DESKTOP BEFORE DOING WHAT IS SUGGESTED NEXT

On the Carbonite information page here on WoWI (the one you get to from the link I posted) go to the "Other Filer" tab, and download / install the "5.041" version under the "Archived Files (21)" subheading. It's the first one (currently) under that heading. Then you can go to your "Interface\AddOns" folder, delete ONLY the main Carbonite folder, then install the latest release from the Carbonite information page here on WoWI.

That should get you your nodes back to import. I know I imported the nodes on a new character the other day, and had no problems doing it, so this was all I could think might be wrong.

EDIT: The latest download for Carbonite (5.052) contains all of the folders again. So, please disregard this post. Sorry./EDIT

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

Last edited by jeffy162 : 10-08-12 at 10:39 AM.

10-07-12, 05:59 AM   #53
Subzero7
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
This one does.
Thanks Cairenn. I went and read it, now I understand. It's too bad that Wowmatrix is that way.

10-07-12, 12:18 PM   #54
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Yup. Drives us crazy when we find people doing things like that. They aren't the first and unfortunately they won't be the last. =/

10-09-12, 11:56 AM   #55
moondoggy
A Fallenroot Satyr

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
quick question>will carbonite maps addon contain punk detection? please say yes!

10-09-12, 12:09 PM   #56
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by moondoggy View Post
quick question>will carbonite maps addon contain punk detection? please say yes!
that won't be in Carbonite Maps... that would be under Carbonite PVP (or some name like that)

Carbonite Maps will be the maps, and anything dealing with maps alone.

10-09-12, 12:51 PM   #57
mcaran
A Murloc Raider
Regarding the bytecode in mapPois and Quests, its a simple munge format.
There are couple functions in the carbonite code that encryt and decrypt that tables.

Check the function function Nx.Quest:Init(). It would not be hard to create a lua function to read, decrypt and save the result in a plain text file.

Another info. You can extract all POIs from the wow client file AreaPOI.dbc.

10-09-12, 05:46 PM   #58
Tondef
A Cyclonian

Thank you for taking on the project.
I look forward to seeing the code broken apart and being able to use just what I need.
Please let us know when you are accepting donations.

10-11-12, 10:21 AM   #59
Simulo
A Fallenroot Satyr
Will you please, for the love of god, make all the maps use the same container. I hated having to re-locate each BG Map in addition to the World Map.

For tips:

I would separate out all the components of Carbonite:
-Map
-Quest Tracking
-Warehouse
-Achievement Tracking
-Punk Watcher
-and any other's that I missed

This way you can release each section and we don't have to wait around for the whole thing to be done. Plus, when Blizzard breaks something you do have to pour through the entire LUA file, just the LUA of the section that's broken.

Did that for my website, each page was a separate flash file, with the main site loading the other pages into it. So, if I needed to change something I only had to upload a small file (~200KB) instead of the whole 10MB site.

Last edited by Simulo : 10-11-12 at 10:28 AM.

10-11-12, 02:03 PM   #60
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Simulo View Post
Will you please, for the love of god, make all the maps use the same container. I hated having to re-locate each BG Map in addition to the World Map.

PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS!
Having each battleground contain it's own map size/location is very important to me when I deal with each and every battleground. AV for me is long and thing and in a different location than the other BG's.

For Simulo, once you have done this once for your character, use the warehouse function to import that characters map locations/sizes to the other characters. This is what I do with all 10 of my toons.

Thank you,

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Current Plans For Carbonite