10-29-12, 11:58 AM   #1
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Final Decision on what's coming first

First off, an apology because I did run the poll asking, and I know quests won by a long shot... but hear me out

Every aspect of Carbonite needs an overhaul to make it easier to use.
Every aspect of Carbonite needs an overhaul to better support localization, and to remove byte code so it's easier to update / maintain.
Every aspect of Carbonite needs an overhaul to better support profiles, and configurations

Part of the quest overhaul is going to be breaking it apart (either by zone, or level range haven't decided yet) so it will use less memory if you don't need 80% of the quest data.

Because of the work involved in overhauling it, I really don't want to do the work twice, once to work with what is current, and once to work with the new modular map system.

TLDR, Maps will be done first.

10-29-12, 12:49 PM   #2
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Good call, Rythal. Thanks for the heads-up!

My opinion on this (which nobody else probably cares about, but I'm still gonna give it):
Yes, we need current quest information, yes it would be really nice to have the multicolored quest blobs back (for all quests), and, yes, it would be nice to have the Carbonite map working properly again (everywhere).

The bottom line, though, is that you just can't do it all at one time. Not working on it alone and that's how it's going.

Good luck and take the time you need to get it right the first time. I'm pretty sure we'll still all be here to cheer when you're done with it.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

10-29-12, 01:24 PM   #3
dhjohn
A Fallenroot Satyr
As someone who voted for quests, this really.... doesn't bother me.
I've worked with old, needs to be rebuilt code, and it isn't fun.

Plus, quests work for me. There is a little more jumping through hops than before (ie, open the bliz quest log every once and a while, make sure to fly to the zone the quests are in, ect), but nothing I can't do easily.

So, do what you need to do to make things work smoothly.

Thanks for all the hard work.

10-29-12, 01:33 PM   #4
jeruku
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Good luck

I bid thee good luck and best wishes in your efforts to revive, if not revive then remodel, Carbonite.

10-29-12, 08:37 PM   #5
tinyu
A Molten Giant

Good call Rythal atleast a decision has been made and you can get started on that.

One thing you may want to do is set up a new thread "Carbonite Beta" where you can get anyone that wants to beta test stuff can report stuff (up to you though).

10-30-12, 03:38 AM   #6
Sesshi
A Murloc Raider

I am happy to hear that Carb has not been forgotten and that it is going to become useable once again. :"3 I'm still using the update you gave for it awhile back despite the fact that it's not all that great right now and glitchy as all hell. I, like many others, cannot live without Carbonite. I appreciate anyone who can understand coding [I use to be able to understand it but that was many long years ago sadly. u.u] But I am looking forward to the new update and will continue to wait patiently like I have so far. ^^
To spare the sands, the seas, the skies
I offer thee this silent sacrifice" ~ LOVELESS Act V

10-30-12, 08:16 AM   #7
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Sesshi View Post
I'm still using the update you gave for it awhile back despite the fact that it's not all that great right now and glitchy as all hell.
Are you using Rythal's 5.055, updated October 23, available both here and on Curse? People have been saying it works fairly well, with a minimum of glitches, if any.

10-30-12, 10:17 PM   #8
Sesshi
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by myrroddin View Post
Are you using Rythal's 5.055, updated October 23, available both here and on Curse? People have been saying it works fairly well, with a minimum of glitches, if any.
Yes I am using the latest one and having some issues with it, but I understand it's not perfect and I am not going to QQ or bitch about it. I will continue to wait patiently for the new update. :"3
To spare the sands, the seas, the skies
I offer thee this silent sacrifice" ~ LOVELESS Act V

11-04-12, 08:30 AM   #9
patrick51
An Aku'mai Servant
Replacement

Anyone have a ok replacement for carbonite? Since the quest tracking is really all i use it for need something that works. And really do not want a bunch of extra stuff loading on my machine. Every addon that i have that has decided to make them modular has been a disaster. Deadly boss mods went that route and does not work as well, Atlas loot same thing, Several others to Modular is not better just creates more problems with trying to get it to work together

11-04-12, 02:56 PM   #10
patrick51
An Aku'mai Servant
Kinda figured

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
First off, an apology because I did run the poll asking, and I know quests won by a long shot... but hear me out

Every aspect of Carbonite needs an overhaul to better support localization, and to remove byte code so it's easier to update / maintain.
Every aspect of Carbonite needs an overhaul to better support profiles, and configurations

Part of the quest overhaul is going to be breaking it apart (either by zone, or level range haven't decided yet) so it will use less memory if you don't need 80% of the quest data.

Because of the work involved in overhauling it, I really don't want to do the work twice, once to work with what is current, and once to work with the new modular map system.

Here is a idea just fix it and not ripe it apart. Modular does not mean easier to maintain. Deadly boss mods now works like crap. They divided it up into several "modules " and basically its junk now. Half the time the proper module does not load correctly. Or one module will cause errors with another. Everyone would rather have a working program then pieces that do not work. Every patch you are going to have to make the changes to it to get it to work with the changes. You have a working program that just needs a bit of work. If you ripe it apart i will bet it never gets finished. They are planning a new patch every 2 -3 months there for you are going to have to keep changing code every few months while your trying to re write it. Unless you have decided that this is going to be your full time job just fix what you have and get on with it.

11-04-12, 07:22 PM   #11
tinyu
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by patrick51 View Post
Here is a idea just fix it and not ripe it apart. Modular does not mean easier to maintain. Deadly boss mods now works like crap. They divided it up into several "modules " and basically its junk now. Half the time the proper module does not load correctly. Or one module will cause errors with another. Everyone would rather have a working program then pieces that do not work. Every patch you are going to have to make the changes to it to get it to work with the changes. You have a working program that just needs a bit of work. If you ripe it apart i will bet it never gets finished. They are planning a new patch every 2 -3 months there for you are going to have to keep changing code every few months while your trying to re write it. Unless you have decided that this is going to be your full time job just fix what you have and get on with it.
This only applies to the author, if they know what they are doing then it will work fine, look at other modular addons, ie Atlas and AtlasLoot they are modular and work fine that way.

11-05-12, 12:11 AM   #12
patrick51
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by tinyu View Post
This only applies to the author, if they know what they are doing then it will work fine, look at other modular addons, ie Atlas and AtlasLoot they are modular and work fine that way.
atlas works because it does not rely on a event in the game to trigger it. If its not one program carbonite will require an in game event to launch the new modual. If it misses that event then the proper part will not launch. That is the problem with DBM now. Part of the time it will not catch the proper event to launch the correct modual. Has nothing to do with how good a programmer you are has to do with the way the game works .

11-05-12, 10:45 AM   #13
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Carbonites modularization will be more like atlas then DBM... there will be no "auto" loading, there is no events to watch. The base addon is the map, and nothing but the map ... you want PVP, you install that and turn it on... you want questing, you install that and turn it on. Need warehouse? install that and turn it on...

11-06-12, 12:36 PM   #14
Jaillyn
A Murloc Raider
atlas works because it does not rely on a event in the game to trigger it. If its not one program carbonite will require an in game event to launch the new modual. If it misses that event then the proper part will not launch. That is the problem with DBM now. Part of the time it will not catch the proper event to launch the correct modual. Has nothing to do with how good a programmer you are has to do with the way the game works .
Modularizing the addon makes it where he knows where to fix something, as much as it does help people to load and unload parts that they want. If it makes it easier for him to fix, it makes fixes come out faster. If it's still all crammed into one mass and he has to search through all of it for the problem, it takes longer. He's also tidying up the code to make it where he can fix it better in the future. Carbonite has been in need of an overhaul in some time. It works right now, sure, but it's been patchwork fix after patchwork fix for a while. If it stood back up at 100% again I'd be amazed. Let him do his modularization.

11-06-12, 03:48 PM   #15
tinyu
A Molten Giant

Yes its going to take some time but once its done Carbonite will be alot better than ever.

11-12-12, 07:10 AM   #16
gardentender
A Defias Bandit
Smile update

thank you for your hard work......I actually am running more than one app to try and have everything I did before. I do not know the dif between modular and what was here before. As long as it works I am happy. Look forward to the updates when you have them ready

11-12-12, 03:21 PM   #17
Subzero7
A Fallenroot Satyr
Updates and modularization

Personally, I think it will all work out in the end. And I believe that, in the end, everyone including the naysayers, will be happy. Whether we get something right away or months from now, it's better to have it done right (as someone else noted earlier) in the first place. Thanks again to Rythal.

11-14-12, 10:28 PM   #18
xienwolf
A Murloc Raider
The major "It is the programmer" is how the programmer chooses to configure things.

DBM people decided to be cute and make the modules auto-detect what to load. They decided to be economical and have it check what to load only once.

That is their call. You can build in massive redundancies on your auto checks. You can make the player select what to load. You can have a button you press to update the modules loaded. You can have auto-detect with manual override....

Yes, there are SOME limits based on the interface Blizz gives us. But no limits from Blizz specifically make modularization a bad move.

The primary benefits for users:

1. If something breaks only a SMALL part of Carbonite breaks. So PvP or map only people won't suffer because of a Quest bug, etc.

2. Other addon developers can more easily cannibalize Rythal's code to incorporate into their own system. ie - more alternatives will crop up.

12-11-12, 01:21 PM   #19
Marsilus
A Kobold Labourer
Personally, I do appreciate Rythal taking on this project and I will wait until everything is redone. I am using it currently and although questing is not covered in all areas, I believe we all can agree there are ways around it, that are available to us all. You take what ever steps you feel need to be done and in whatever order you feel is best. Thank you for your continued hard work and effort to shape Carbonite to be more flexable and easier for you to update and maintain.

04-13-14, 07:08 AM   #20
plonky
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post

U can please some of the people all the time.
U can please all of the people some of the time.
But u can't please all of the people all the time.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Final Decision on what's coming first