08-07-14, 06:28 PM   #1
sezz
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Tooltips / UnitExists("mouseover") == false on certain units

Sorry, no idea how to describe this properly as english isn't my native language.

There are currently a lot of units ingame that return false when checking for UnitExists("mouseover"), so my tooltip modifications don't work because I can't get any information about the unit that belongs to the tooltip and the tooltip stays hidden.

This can be easily tested at Bladespire Fortress in Frostfire Ridge next to the Flight Master with the Frost Wolves and Frostwolf Peons:

Tooltips are correctly displayed when using no tooltip addon or when I target them (it also doesn't work with PhanxTooltip, but that's the only other tooltip addon I tested).

Also the name text is green , but they are neutral (UnitReaction() returns 4 when I target them and the default Blizzard tooltips also show the name in yellow), so maybe it's only a bug?

08-07-14, 09:08 PM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

What happens when you run this (while the default GameTooltip is showing the unit):

/dump GameTooltip:GetUnit()

08-07-14, 10:23 PM   #3
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I can't get to the area you're talking about, but "mouseover" works fine with every frost wolf I've come across.

Do you have a more convenient unit to test with, preferably one in an area that doesn't need to be unlocked.

08-07-14, 11:45 PM   #4
sezz
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
What happens when you run this (while the default GameTooltip is showing the unit):

/dump GameTooltip:GetUnit()
This is what I get:

Code:
Dump: value=GameTooltip:GetUnit()
[1]="",
[2]="mouseover"
Originally Posted by semlar View Post
I can't get to the area you're talking about, but "mouseover" works fine with every frost wolf I've come across.

Do you have a more convenient unit to test with, preferably one in an area that doesn't need to be unlocked.
Maybe it's an issue with their faction ("Frostwolf Orcs"), you propably didn't come across one of those

I think I also had the same issue with Gazlowe, right after you built your garrison (but _before_ moving away from the spot where you had to wait while it was building), I will create a level 100 and try to find one of those buggy NPCs.

08-07-14, 11:57 PM   #5
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

What you're describing sounds like a phasing issue, maybe the units aren't being replaced with something you can properly interact with.

08-07-14, 11:57 PM   #6
sezz
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Okay, found an easy way, takes ~10 seconds to test

- Create a level 90 horde character on one of the leveling realms (Template: Frostfire)
- Accept the quest from Farseer Drek'Thar
- Farseer Drek'Thar + Thrall + Archmage Khadgar will stop having tooltips (if you complete the quest and do the next one ("Of Wolves and Warrior") tooltips start working again on those 3 units)

08-08-14, 01:48 AM   #7
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Okay, the units are being replaced with some sort of cinematic type characters.

Their GUID becomes this format: "ClientActor:3:1:1", "ClientActor:3:1:2" and "ClientActor:3:1:3"

They don't appear to respond to the "mouseover" unitID, but trigger UPDATE_MOUSEOVER_UNIT regardless.

They seem to be playing out scripts, rather than behaving like real units so maybe they aren't capable of being interacted with.

They trigger neither the normal mouseover lighting effect nor the new outline mode for mouseover, although they do show the outline if you target them and mouse off, except they show the outline color of whatever you last had targeted.

I'm guessing they're just bugged for now.

Last edited by semlar : 08-08-14 at 01:58 AM.

08-08-14, 04:58 AM   #8
sezz
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Thanks semlar, didn't think about checking the GUID.

I'll just show the original tooltip content for now and wait what Blizzard decides to do with them

08-08-14, 06:30 AM   #9
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

What I've found out to be odd about the tooltips on beta, is that sometimes UnitName('mouseover') returns nil :s
If that happens I have to scan the tooltip for it.

08-20-14, 10:59 PM   #10
siweia
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

It seems like blizz did some changes in the mouseover function.

For the nameplate addons, I can no longer update the debuff just by mouseover the nameplate.
It only updates at my current target nameplate.

08-21-14, 12:25 AM   #11
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by siweia View Post
For the nameplate addons, I can no longer update the debuff just by mouseover the nameplate.
This is probably less a function of any nameplate-specific changes in the API, and more a function of the nameplate addon(s) you're using not yet having been updated for the GUID changes in WoD, since nameplate addons generally identify nameplate units by GUID.

08-21-14, 08:29 AM   #12
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I haven't noticed any changes whatsoever to nameplates.

08-22-14, 09:39 AM   #13
siweia
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I haven't noticed any changes whatsoever to nameplates.
As I mention above, if you try to cast your dots to a target by mouseover macro, the target nameplate would not update the debuff. Unless you set that as target.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Archived Beta Forums » WoD Beta archived threads » Tooltips / UnitExists("mouseover") == false on certain units