11-27-13, 05:09 AM   #1
Qin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Is Rythal MIA?

Does anyone know if he's on vacation? Or if he's stopped working on Carbonite?

Wasn't like him to remain so silent on the forums, or post updates when WoW patches borked up Carbonite.

Any other add-on out there that can cover all of Carbonites' functions?

11-27-13, 12:58 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Well, according to Rythal's profile on this site, he was just online last night.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-02-13, 12:05 AM   #3
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
I'm semi-MIA, I mentioned about a month ago that i'm working 3 jobs to pay for the trip down to blizzcon, so it has left me with very very little time.... I have more time now, but the week after blizzcon someone who was obviously not very happy with Carbonite, or that I hadn't done something decided to paypal bomb me by doing 15 1$ transactions, and then disputing it with their bank so I ended up charged quite a bit by paypal in reversal fee's.

That left me with a very sour feeling... and while it is non of your faults, and I shouldn't let it affect my work on Carbonite, it has.... I do not have any plans to give up on it, and if any major bugs have cropped up I will fix them (I hadn't noticed anything major, but i'll reread the forums again to make sure)... I just haven't been in the mood to do anything since that happened, and I do apologize to everyone for that... it may sound childish, or moody, but to be doing something because I love doing it, and then have someone turn around and cost me a large sum for doing what I love doing... well you get the idea.

12-02-13, 07:41 AM   #4
Qin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Talking No worries

You're alive & well. Missed or didn't see the triple-overtime for BlizzCon. Hopefully you had a good time.

Thanks for all the hard work you've done. May the ass that hassled you find a nice Cryptolocker on all his families computers.

12-02-13, 01:40 PM   #5
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
*hugs Rythal*

12-02-13, 02:35 PM   #6
anteract
Premium Member
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
paypal bomb me by doing 15 1$ transactions, and then disputing it with their bank so I ended up charged quite a bit by paypal in reversal fee's.
That has to be something that Paypal has a system to stop, I bet if you contest the charges (after the 1st one) you could get them reversed. That kind of behavior borders on fraud.

If that doesn't work, how much was it? A few of us can probably easily cough up a couple of bucks to make you whole again.

12-03-13, 03:13 PM   #7
tiburan
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by anteract View Post
That has to be something that Paypal has a system to stop, I bet if you contest the charges (after the 1st one) you could get them reversed. That kind of behavior borders on fraud.

If that doesn't work, how much was it? A few of us can probably easily cough up a couple of bucks to make you whole again.
I'm with you mate, would gladly help out!

12-04-13, 07:09 AM   #8
dtylertx
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Cool

Originally Posted by anteract View Post

what s/he said. contest with paypal, thats fraudulent behavior, even if you cannot prove it was deliberate by user A, someone was trying to commit fraud on you and paypal.

thank you for all that you do, love the work you've done

12-05-13, 06:53 AM   #9
HerrDrache
A Murloc Raider
Very sorry this has happened - even more so since it wasn't just someone being a butt, but costing you real-life money.

That person wouldn't happen to be on a PvP server, would they? I mean, I would never, just curious >

12-10-13, 09:39 AM   #10
ezarra
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
paypal bomb me by doing 15 1$ transactions, and then disputing it with their bank so I ended up charged quite a bit by paypal in reversal fee's.
Wow. That sucks. This is one of the many (MANY) reasons I will have nothing to do with Paypal.

12-12-13, 04:02 AM   #11
Catitude
A Theradrim Guardian

I'm so sorry :(

Hugz & bless you.
Thank you for Carbonite I count what you do for us as one of my blessings....
I have had the same thing happen from both sides of that multiple payment issue and PayPal refunded the excess charges after a little prodding.
I received several identical payments from someone who then stopped payment on all of them. PayPal fixed that & then a few weeks later I clicked to make a single purchase & my PayPal came unglued because I just submitted 7 identical payments. I figured out my Mouse programming was corrupted & before it died completely it was emitting Ghost clicks or click echos... I'd click once, & even lift fingers off and it would register several more clicks... .errrf lol
Merry Christmas, Joyous Yuletide, Blessed Solstice, Happy Hanukkah
Joie! May all of us be blessed with laughter, amazing friends & family, phenomenal encounters, wonderous moments, prosperity & silver linings...

12-13-13, 06:59 PM   #12
Starmage21
A Kobold Labourer
How much did this end up costing. I might be able to make that right for you.

12-19-13, 09:20 PM   #13
squiggly
A Defias Bandit
It cease to amaze me how petty and low some people will go. I'm sorry this happened to you Rythal is there some way we can help to make the money up and restore you trust in those fans that are very thankful for all the work you put into the addon we all love?

12-20-13, 11:42 AM   #14
Kreelor
A Firelord

Yes

Yes. He has dropped out of sight completely. As of today, he hasn't even visited the forum during the last two weeks. Farewell, Rythal. Farewell to Carbonite ever being updated to fix numerous, reported errors. I guess we will never see Carbonite II released as a working version. I just wish him the best in all things.

12-26-13, 04:42 PM   #15
Chmee
A Molten Giant
Oh, come on, people. Isn't Rythal allowed to have a life? Isn't it the Christmas holidays? Aren't we being entirely too pessimistic?

01-02-14, 03:17 PM   #16
pinderhughes
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Kreelor View Post
Yes. He has dropped out of sight completely. As of today, he hasn't even visited the forum during the last two weeks. Farewell, Rythal. Farewell to Carbonite ever being updated to fix numerous, reported errors. I guess we will never see Carbonite II released as a working version. I just wish him the best in all things.
Yeah, It was good while it lasted. Doubt we'll ever see anything that emulates a lot of its features. Well good luck in endeavors, carbonite made WoW a lot better and gave a functional map just gotta adapt to changes.

01-02-14, 10:04 PM   #17
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Geez guys, don't be so pessimistic.

Working three jobs to get the funds for Blizzcon (sleep/free-time had to be in short supply), and on top of that having some low life cause him a financial hit would be enough to cause anybody to need a break.

Give him some time....

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Is Rythal MIA?