03-29-14, 12:04 PM   #1
jimmythetank
A Defias Bandit
Smile Timed message auto sender?

Hi guys. I've been looking for a simple addon that will let me save, say 10 messages (one or two for guild invite trade spam, plus more for guild news spam. I'm planning on getting a second wow account and just leaving a lvl 1 char in org constantly pasting different news messages in my guild) and then set different times/channels to automatically be sent by the addon.

So ill have one for trade like : "/2 HEY GUYZ JOIN MA GUILD, ITS AWESOME etc etc"
And one like : "/g welcome <some dude>, hes our new officer!"
And : "/g next raid is on wednesday, be ready"

and so on...

I need to be able to set the timers between 1 minute (for /2 spam) and 2 hours (for /g spam), be able to randomize the messages (maybe have 2 different guild recruitment messages and randomize the guild news so it doesnt get annoying) and be able to paste things in to /1 for when me and my officers are levelling or otherwise not in a city.

If anyone knows of an addon that can do this please let me know, but I can't find one anywhere. I don't have much experience with programming but if this would be easy to make I'd love to have a go myself if someone can point me in the right direction, or if someone is up for the challenge, go for it!
03-29-14, 01:16 PM   #2
Duugu
Premium Member

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
That sounds absolutely horrible.

You should review this plan.

I do not know a single person who would join a guild that auto spams such a message, and I know a lot of persons who would quit a guild where someone auto spams such messages to the guild channel.
03-29-14, 03:32 PM   #3
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
While I'm not a Blizzard employee and thus can't speak for them, I would think that they would view an addon like this as violating point number three of their UI AddOn Dev Policy:

3) Add-ons must not negatively impact World of Warcraft realms or other players.
Add-ons will perform no function which, in Blizzard Entertainment’s sole discretion, negatively impacts the performance of the World of Warcraft realms or otherwise negatively affects the game for other players. For example, this includes but is not limited to excessive use of the chat system, unnecessary loading from the hard disk, and slow frame rates.

Last edited by Cairenn : 03-29-14 at 04:13 PM.
03-29-14, 07:10 PM   #4
Clamsoda
A Frostmaul Preserver
I've always been a bit perplexed as to why someone would want to automate such personal correspondence. You don't welcome someone as a formality, you welcome someone because you truly appreciate their presence.

I've seen AddOns that do what you are asking -- as well as people asking how to achieve it -- for as long as I have been playing WoW (9 years), and I've always disliked the idea and the practice.

I can understand automating trade chat messages -- wanting to sell the same items consistently -- and a macro would suit that well. As far as automating guild correspondence, you should reconsider...
03-30-14, 12:39 AM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

And for telling your guild members about upcoming events -- that's what the guild message of the day, the guild info page, and calendar event invitations are for. There's really no need for any of the spam you're proposing.
03-30-14, 07:03 AM   #6
jimmythetank
A Defias Bandit
I dont understand whats so bad about autosending a guild message every 2 hours? i was thinking mainly for when im offline during the night, you could let people know what was going on. Is having a lvl 1 online 24/7 autosending guild news macros against the tos?
03-30-14, 08:42 AM   #7
Tim
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by jimmythetank View Post
I dont understand whats so bad about autosending a guild message every 2 hours? i was thinking mainly for when im offline during the night, you could let people know what was going on. Is having a lvl 1 online 24/7 autosending guild news macros against the tos?
Your original post says you'd like the addon to be able to send to multiple channels at various times with various messages. One of your examples you posted was a recruitment type of post. Therefore, your desire for an addon such as this is to do more than just inform guild members but, also to be one of those annoying people that do guild spam every other minute. It's addons like one you desire the reason why people like me have to turn off guild invites when starting a new toon on a different server or transferring to a different server to avoid unwanted guild invites and spam.
Battle Tag: Mysterio#11164
Current PC Setup: PCPartPicker List
03-30-14, 12:11 PM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I would personally never join a guild that auto-spammed guild info. (Or one that sent invites without ever talking to me, but you didn't say anything about that.)

How exactly would your character stay online 24/7? That would bypass Blizzard's AFK and logout system, no?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

03-30-14, 01:56 PM   #9
Nynaeve
A Cobalt Mageweaver

I'm sorry, OP, but it just sounds like spam.

Also, I agree with what Seerah said about cheesing the log out system, somehow having your character stay online while you're sleeping... it's not following the rules.

Unless you have a highly trained cat... though I'm sure that's against the rules, too.
03-30-14, 09:08 PM   #10
Talyrius
An Onyxian Warder

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
How exactly would your character stay online 24/7? That would bypass Blizzard's AFK and logout system, no?
Not that I condone bypassing it for spamming, but this is how it is done. However, it won't work in cities due to the resting state which causes the logout prompt to be skipped. I use this for killing/capturing rares.

Removed code that bypasses Blizzard's log out timer. ~ Cairenn

Last edited by Cairenn : 03-31-14 at 04:01 AM.
03-31-14, 01:04 AM   #11
Phanx
Cat.

I dont understand whats so bad about autosending a guild message every 2 hours?
It's annoying and unnecessary. If you want to tell your guild about something, use the tools Blizzard put into the game for that purpose -- the guild Message of the Day, the guild info page, and the in-game calendar system.

Also, while I can't speak for anyone else, I was far more concerned about this part of your request:

I need to be able to set the timers between 1 minute (for /2 spam) ...
People who spam guild ads in General and Trade chat are no better than people who spam gold selling or power leveling ads. You are not contributing anything to the game. You are just clogging up the chat system and wasting everyone's time. Nobody wants to read your worthless spam.
03-31-14, 06:58 AM   #12
10leej
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
People who spam guild ads in General and Trade chat are no better than people who spam gold selling or power leveling ads. You are not contributing anything to the game. You are just clogging up the chat system and wasting everyone's time. Nobody wants to read your worthless spam.
It is however the best way for a newer or lesser known guild to get members in my own experiences.
03-31-14, 11:02 AM   #13
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Originally Posted by 10leej View Post
It is however the best way for a newer or lesser known guild to get members in my own experiences.
It depends on what type of recruitment is needed and on the type of channel. Approach the player, not the entire audience.

Nowadays, we have so many social tools available at our hands that it's difficult to recruit because communication isn't streamlined. People don't necessarily use forums anymore(in vanilla, you had to and it was a blessing IMHO, because you could browse forums at school or work ) and a gazilion number of guilds appear in guild finder(does anyone even use this?). People are leaving GuildRecruitment automatically when they join a guild, which in turn blocks a large percentage of the target audience(for example, people close to level 90, which are looking for a raiding guild but are in a different one for the perks).

But I also agree on the non spamming part.

For me, recruiting messages work best when:
  1. The recruitment message stands out. Try to reach your potential recruits with an message that triggers them to whisper you.
  2. The recruitment message clearly states what kind of guild you are promoting.
  3. Having a website address included. Rule 1 also applies to your guild website.
  4. You don't spam it. Instead of posting it based on an interval, post it manually when you enter a city with trade chat.

On the topic of guild recruitment for raids, I found out that setting up relations with other guilds can be quite handy. Especially when in need of more recruits, agree to some payback service with another guildmaster(Help their guild with small boosting services or crafting for example). When people join your raids and see what attitude your raiding group has, they are getting a lot more information then if you just send them a message over trade or whisper.

Last edited by ravagernl : 03-31-14 at 11:11 AM.
04-01-14, 12:30 PM   #14
Powatwoopa
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by 10leej View Post
no its not for if u constantly spam no one will care and put u on ignore they dont want words THEY WANT ACTION from what ur guild is actually doing on server NOT what u say will happen when you finally have the pple who are willing to join the guild who will probably leave anyway in 2-3 days for they dont see anything happening.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Timed message auto sender?