08-04-12, 03:09 AM   #1
Deejay
A Murloc Raider
Different interfaces for different alts help needed

Right, I'm going to get straight into this,
Whilst I'm playing on my DK I want to have Towelliee's tank interface as I tank on my DK... but then on my Priest I want to have Shadowmage's UI for healing, but the thing is, I don't know how to set up my addon/wtf folders so that the game recognises that I want the seperate interfaces for the different alts and I was wondering if it was possible? Like I know that you can enable/disable certain addons for different alts but I want to be able to merge the different profiles for the addons and then be able to switch between them all with a click of a button or something

Thanks.

Last edited by Deejay : 08-04-12 at 03:17 AM.
08-04-12, 02:49 PM   #2
Tim
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The closest thing to do what you're wanting is going to be an addon called Reflux. As for the loading/disabling of addons for both ui compilations you would need to create that yourself or have someone make you an addon to do so.
Battle Tag: Mysterio#11164
Current PC Setup: PCPartPicker List
08-04-12, 08:29 PM   #3
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Originally Posted by Deejay View Post
Right, I'm going to get straight into this,
Whilst I'm playing on my DK I want to have Towelliee's tank interface as I tank on my DK... but then on my Priest I want to have Shadowmage's UI for healing, but the thing is, I don't know how to set up my addon/wtf folders so that the game recognises that I want the seperate interfaces for the different alts and I was wondering if it was possible? Like I know that you can enable/disable certain addons for different alts but I want to be able to merge the different profiles for the addons and then be able to switch between them all with a click of a button or something

Thanks.
One of the major issues with this can come from the saved variables folder. Unless both compilations use separate addons the data from one layout will overwrite the existing when you copy them. As stated reflux can help though I'm am not sure you can use it to save info from separate WTF folders. The merging you mentioned is the hard part.

One tedious but effective way is to have 2 different WTF folders and swap them out when you change characters. You would have to log all the way out to do this however. You can try looking through the saved variables folders and copying over data from one to the other for addons that are not already there. This will get you part way.

As for the shared ones i know of no simple way to merge the data. You might get lucky and have both compilations use entirely separate addons.

Once set up with reflux you can macro the command to change the UI's. Ive done this with my own UI layouts with great success. Log in. Click the macro for the UI i want and I'm all done. I did however create all my own layouts while using reflux from the start.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
08-05-12, 02:12 PM   #4
Xandrietta
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

This might seem like the low-tech solution but I have the same problem, I have a completely different setup on my pally so what I did was just copy my wow install. When I want to play the pally I just start the other wow. Complete different folders/addons/setup and it doesnt clash with my main install.
08-05-12, 02:21 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Instead of swapping between entirely different WoW installs, just swap between the WTF folders (and maybe AddOn folders, depending on the UI).
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-05-12, 08:52 PM   #6
Phanx
Cat.

Seerah, with only separate WTF folders, you have to move/rename folders every time you want to play a different character. With separate installations, you just click a different icon. Plus, you can use NTFS junctions to make multiple installations use the same Data folder, so there's very little disk space cost.
08-05-12, 10:43 PM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I am aware of the need to rename folders. Hubby and I did this for a long time when we shared a computer. You just need to rename the main WTF one, though. It's not really such a big deal.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-06-12, 11:48 PM   #8
Phanx
Cat.

Seems like a lot of work, unless you make a batch script to do it.
08-07-12, 12:24 PM   #9
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Nope. Not a lot of work. Renaming folders is really easy.
  1. Double-click shortcut on desktop to open WoW folder
  2. rename WTF folder to WTF-hubby or WTF-- or WTF2 or whatever you want
  3. Rename other WTF folder to just WTF
  4. ???
  5. Profit!

08-07-12, 12:33 PM   #10
Travisstorma
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Seems like a lot of work, unless you make a batch script to do it.
That is what I have done in the past.
08-07-12, 10:37 PM   #11
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Nope. Not a lot of work. Renaming folders is really easy.
  1. Double-click shortcut on desktop to open WoW folder
  2. rename WTF folder to WTF-hubby or WTF-- or WTF2 or whatever you want
  3. Rename other WTF folder to just WTF
  4. ???
  5. Profit!
I think you underestimate how lazy I am... by a lot.

Also, with two installs, that list becomes:
  1. Double-click shortcut on desktop to open WoW

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Different interfaces for different alts help needed