12-19-10, 05:02 PM   #61
Kleo
A Theradrim Guardian
The new design is streamlined and pretty. However, being an add-on site, I know I can search through the dropdown menu, but I think it should be a priority to have the search box on the menubar, more obvious. (fixed, thank you!)

Another thing I do not like is taking away the colour when you've made an add-on a "favourite." I know the text has changed, but I liked the obvious visual indicator.

I do like the click-through to see the add-on screenshots, except for when the author has put a lot up, like 9. I understand the saving of screen space, but if I don't see what I'm looking for in the first few, than I'm not likely to click through until the end. That may be more of an author concern than a site admin one, though. However, with the pictures compressed into one shown on the mod page itself, do the pictures and file information have to be on tabs? With the screen space saved, I'd like to see both at once.

Where it says my username and shows in brackets how many add-ons have been updated, I would love the functionality of simply clicking on that to go to my favourites page, rather than going to the drop-down menu. I know it's not much more work, but as this is an add-on site, it should be fast, easy, and convenient for me to access the add-ons I want. If some find their PMs to be more important, maybe an option in the User Control Panel as to what clicking on the name will do.

I'm not an author myself, but I do like the prominent menu with everything (I presume) the author needs most in a drop-down. Things should not be difficult to find, and this is more obvious than I remember seeing before.

Last edited by Kleo : 12-19-10 at 06:43 PM.
12-19-10, 05:19 PM   #62
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
What browser are you using? the site should expand much more then that. There is a limit to the amount it expands (min-width max-width) as the site starts looking like junk but it should expand wider than your screenshot shows.

Originally Posted by brknsoul View Post
I've a small annoying problem with the favourites page where the AM/PM spills onto the next line making each line double width;

Is (will) there (be) an option to return to the old view? Also, this has been mentioned before, but I have a wide screen display, and WoWI is now only using a small portion of this. Really annoying.
12-19-10, 10:44 PM   #63
brknsoul
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
What browser are you using? the site should expand much more then that. There is a limit to the amount it expands (min-width max-width) as the site starts looking like junk but it should expand wider than your screenshot shows.
I'm using Opera. I'll post a width image example;

12-20-10, 12:00 AM   #64
pelf
Sentient Plasmoid

Premium Member
Gosh I hope this hasn't been posted yet. I did search the first and last pages .

The new look is very clean. I can't wait to see how it shapes up as you pull out the polish and start shining it. My only suggestion is that you make the favorite/not favorite state on an addon page a bit more clear. Something like this perhaps...

Alright perhaps not that bright, but that was 3 minutes in Photoshop. I'm sure you can come up with something snazzy. Why make us read text when there's hue, saturation and lightness!

Thanks for the great site, you guys. I love it.
12-20-10, 12:05 AM   #65
funktion
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Oooh i like
12-20-10, 12:06 AM   #66
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by brknsoul View Post
I'm using Opera. I'll post a width image example;

What version of Opera on which OS? Are you using any extensions? This is how mine looks on the latest Opera 11 (extension free) with Windows 7.

/edit: Dolby did change the text for the favorite buttons today. imo, it is much clearer. He also greyed out the text when the addon is already in your favorites list, to show that the button is no longer usable. Though he is reading all suggestions and comments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wowi on opera.PNG
Views:	367
Size:	669.2 KB
ID:	5506  
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Last edited by Seerah : 12-20-10 at 12:08 AM.
12-20-10, 01:41 AM   #67
Faraque
A Theradrim Guardian

Ok, I've used the site some since the change. Mostly, I like the changes. They are more friendly to the eye. However, I do have 2 complaints, both of which have been brought up.

#1. Not being able to see version number of the addon upon initial glance. Forcing me to do extra work to see the piece of information that is most important to me is unfortunate. There was a photoshop mockup a couple pages back that should come under serious review. It's placement of information was MUCH cleaner.

#2. Screenshots. Less so with single addons, but definitely with any compilation, there needs to be more screenshots visible. Perhaps something like a flyout of pictures on hover, or perhaps a user option to change the number of screenshots shown on the addon page, giving us the customization we want individually?

Edit: Wow, ok, I'm a lil behind. Date updated is shown, and some of the buttons shifted to be easily seen/used. Good deal. Still would like to see version number next to date updated.

Last edited by Faraque : 12-20-10 at 01:47 AM.
12-20-10, 05:14 AM   #68
Kleo
A Theradrim Guardian
I did notice the change to the favourite button on the add-on page, but only because I was looking for it. Ultimately, you decide what you want to do, but it is still not visually obvious. I really liked the old style, with having an obvious colour on the button, like the poster a few above (although not necessarily yellow).

The problem is not trying to click on the favourite button, it's doing a quick scan of the page and not having to read everything carefully to see that it's already or is not in my Favourites list.

Another aside for the new style is that it doesn't seem one can toggle it being a favourite on and off from the add-on page. Instead, it takes you to your list, and then you remove it. It seems like an extra unnecessary step.
12-20-10, 07:11 AM   #69
AmiYuy
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Kleo View Post
I did notice the change to the favourite button on the add-on page, but only because I was looking for it. Ultimately, you decide what you want to do, but it is still not visually obvious. I really liked the old style, with having an obvious colour on the button, like the poster a few above (although not necessarily yellow).

The problem is not trying to click on the favourite button, it's doing a quick scan of the page and not having to read everything carefully to see that it's already or is not in my Favourites list.

Another aside for the new style is that it doesn't seem one can toggle it being a favourite on and off from the add-on page. Instead, it takes you to your list, and then you remove it. It seems like an extra unnecessary step.
Agreed with all of this. Needs to be red/colored differently again and needs to have the removal when clicked functionality again. I honestly would not have known an addon was a favorite if I hadn't gone to look specifically for this.
12-20-10, 07:50 AM   #70
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

I wanted to use things a while before I commented so I have, and here is my comment: I don't give a damn about packaging or pretty if it interrupts functional. "Any design that makes obtaining specific information harder to find, or take more steps, is a poor design" keeps echoing in my head every time I use this.

a) I use to know "hey, I have x updated favorites!" and I still do, however I now have two target-states to see them instead of one. (target name to get drop down, go to favorites vs click-the-damn-link)

b) Same private messages

c) Same for checking comments on the mods I host here.

Two target-states is a far less efficient design and makes navigation less user friendly.

Suggestion: In a CSS & java driven world, an info optional box like the old one with an addition for an author's addons could be added as an optional site component and still preserve the look-and-feel for everyone who doesn't enable it.

Addon Display....

Displaying only 1 picture then having to slide-show through the rest is...how can I put this politely: nucking futs. Being able to see several example thumbnails is more useful information easily obtained. I don't mind the slide-show if you want to use it to see larger versions or hold more than 4 pictures but visual information is needed. To see 4 pictures on 5 mods before, I needed 9 clicks (5 to see the mod, 4 'back') and now I need those 9 plus click-open, click slide, click slide, click slide, click close for each, total 34 clicks. Mouse manufactures will love ya but this one isn't making me a happy user.

Since a number of my other issues have already been mentioned in the posts I skimmed so I'll omit them.

(I know it looks pretty to many but function >>> form every day of the week. I left Curse's site behind because they kept making things more annoying to do, like manually installing a mod taking more and more clicks to do, etc. This feels much like the same logic in design. A site's mechanics may be a slight annoyance but the thinking that goes into the design is pervasive across all points not just of the user-experience but the way the site deals with the users up front and behind closed doors.)
12-20-10, 10:19 AM   #71
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
Hihi, someone is working on the layout in stealthmode
12-20-10, 01:17 PM   #72
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
a) not exactly true, you had to be on the community.php for 1 target state. Now they are global and will alert you of new favorites no matter what page your on. Before if you were on an AddOn page and there was an updated favorite you'd never know. You'd have to back and refresh the community.php. So this saves a ton of time!

b) true but you get other global info because of it like updated fav info.

c) again that info is now global instead of a link only on one page.

So in my opinion its much more efficient since your not required to camp one page. You can get anywhere from anywhere. Technically its still 1 state for all as the menu's dont require a click to dropdown.

I agree with the thumbnails in that its nice to see them all and I'm still trying to come up with a better solution than just making a menu on the right side 400 miles long. But you would have had more clicks if you viewed all the pictures on the old layout as you would click on the picture, then click to go back, click on the next picture, then click to go back, etc.

We are working on the great feedback every one has posted and have already pushed some changes live.
Thanks for your feedback.

Originally Posted by VincentSDSH View Post
I wanted to use things a while before I commented so I have, and here is my comment: I don't give a damn about packaging or pretty if it interrupts functional. "Any design that makes obtaining specific information harder to find, or take more steps, is a poor design" keeps echoing in my head every time I use this.

a) I use to know "hey, I have x updated favorites!" and I still do, however I now have two target-states to see them instead of one. (target name to get drop down, go to favorites vs click-the-damn-link)

b) Same private messages

c) Same for checking comments on the mods I host here.

Two target-states is a far less efficient design and makes navigation less user friendly.

Suggestion: In a CSS & java driven world, an info optional box like the old one with an addition for an author's addons could be added as an optional site component and still preserve the look-and-feel for everyone who doesn't enable it.

Addon Display....

Displaying only 1 picture then having to slide-show through the rest is...how can I put this politely: nucking futs. Being able to see several example thumbnails is more useful information easily obtained. I don't mind the slide-show if you want to use it to see larger versions or hold more than 4 pictures but visual information is needed. To see 4 pictures on 5 mods before, I needed 9 clicks (5 to see the mod, 4 'back') and now I need those 9 plus click-open, click slide, click slide, click slide, click close for each, total 34 clicks. Mouse manufactures will love ya but this one isn't making me a happy user.

Since a number of my other issues have already been mentioned in the posts I skimmed so I'll omit them.

(I know it looks pretty to many but function >>> form every day of the week. I left Curse's site behind because they kept making things more annoying to do, like manually installing a mod taking more and more clicks to do, etc. This feels much like the same logic in design. A site's mechanics may be a slight annoyance but the thinking that goes into the design is pervasive across all points not just of the user-experience but the way the site deals with the users up front and behind closed doors.)

Last edited by Dolby : 12-20-10 at 01:42 PM.
12-20-10, 01:22 PM   #73
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Faraque View Post
Edit: Wow, ok, I'm a lil behind. Date updated is shown, and some of the buttons shifted to be easily seen/used. Good deal. Still would like to see version number next to date updated.
Version number placement was altered at the same time as these changes. It is now to the left of the download button, right under the patch compatibility (Cata) icon.

As for the screenshots suggestions... Like I said, Dolby is reading all suggestions and trying to think up the best way to display them. We can't make everyone happy, but we're trying.

/edit: I are teh slow
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-20-10, 01:44 PM   #74
Sojik
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

I wasn't going to post but now that I see there are some complaints (some valid) I will. I love the changes to the website. I look forward to the author portal changes I believe I read about. I avoid curse.com because I find it so annoying to use in contrast to this website.

Keep up the good work.

One thing I always thought would be preferable to addon categories, though, would be tags. Some addons just don't seem to be categorized properly or in a uniform faction (i.e. nameplate addons seem to be in several different categories).
12-20-10, 01:55 PM   #75
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Sojik View Post
I wasn't going to post but now that I see there are some complaints (some valid) I will. I love the changes to the website. I look forward to the author portal changes I believe I read about. I avoid curse.com because I find it so annoying to use in contrast to this website.

Keep up the good work.

One thing I always thought would be preferable to addon categories, though, would be tags. Some addons just don't seem to be categorized properly or in a uniform faction (i.e. nameplate addons seem to be in several different categories).
Thanks, although thats more of a feature request and normally warrants a new thread in this forum since this is a thread for feedback on the design. However it's on my list to allow AddOns to have multiple categories but it requires some major database restructuring so its going to take awhile.
12-20-10, 01:59 PM   #76
Faraque
A Theradrim Guardian

I agree with the thumbnails in that its nice to see them all and I'm still trying to come up with a better solution than just making a menu on the right side 400 miles long.
Couple of ideas.
Put three thumbnails up for initial view at addon page, with more available via *more* link, or similar. That way you have a fixed intial menu size, but more shots available for those mods/comps that really need them.

Maybe instead of a lightbox (heard complaints, I don't mind it much) making the screenshots an onhover element that expands into a browser sized picture, and unzooms when unhovered. Could set a max size based on % of browser width to prevent funny business with large pictures.

edit: I'm also diggin' the idea of tags on addons. Could be a really good idea for organic organization. People tend to understand the idea of tags pretty easily.

Last edited by Faraque : 12-20-10 at 02:01 PM.
12-20-10, 02:47 PM   #77
Aprikot
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Haleth View Post
I really liked being able to see multiple screenshots at a glance
I did as well. This is another vote for lightbox abolition.
12-20-10, 03:26 PM   #78
pelf
Sentient Plasmoid

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
/edit: Dolby did change the text for the favorite buttons today. imo, it is much clearer. He also greyed out the text when the addon is already in your favorites list, to show that the button is no longer usable. Though he is reading all suggestions and comments.
Oh I see. Hmm, I wonder about the functionality of that. Why do we need the Your Favorite text to link to the favorites list? Is that because you'd want to be able to go there to remove it? Maybe it makes more sense that the text should simply be gray and non-interactive?

EDIT: Actually, the solution might be right in the picture I posted originally. Below the top two big buttons, there are the quasi tabs that switch between Pictures and File Info. Why not use the same treatment as the inactive tab for the favorites button? I still stand by the non-interactive thing. If I want to remove it either the button on the addon should toggle or I should only be able to do it from the favorites listing. Having the button just go over to the favorites listing and do nothing just was little bit inexplicable when it happened.

Last edited by pelf : 12-20-10 at 03:29 PM.
12-20-10, 04:31 PM   #79
AmiYuy
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Faraque View Post
Put three thumbnails up for initial view at addon page, with more available via *more* link, or similar. That way you have a fixed intial menu size, but more shots available for those mods/comps that really need them.
Good compromise I think.

So in my opinion its much more efficient since your not required to camp one page. You can get anywhere from anywhere. Technically its still 1 state for all as the menu's dont require a click to dropdown.

I agree with the thumbnails in that its nice to see them all and I'm still trying to come up with a better solution than just making a menu on the right side 400 miles long. But you would have had more clicks if you viewed all the pictures on the old layout as you would click on the picture, then click to go back, click on the next picture, then click to go back, etc.

We are working on the great feedback every one has posted and have already pushed some changes live.
Thanks for your feedback.
To you it saves time, and I guess in one way it does, however, that's in relation to the old system. In relation to the NEW system, I'm pretty sure he's talking about the combined info versus splitting it up some how. I haven't seen it in action, but I'd wager that say, a # | # | # layout could work fairly well as a compromise with the three split up for faster gaining of information on which gained an update.

I think you also missed the point on the pictures, you had the choice before of which pictures to click on to expand, so you could choose how many mouse clicks it took you. Stuffing them under one thumbnail and making us slideshow through them all takes away that choice.

I for one have never minded pages getting "lengthy" because of images. Images let me know, without having to install the addon to see, what I'm getting. I even make the choice often just from the thumbnails as to whether or not to keep looking at the addon.

Thank you for taking and using feedback.

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Version number placement was altered at the same time as these changes. It is now to the left of the download button, right under the patch compatibility (Cata) icon.
I still think this belongs with the download button and information, not to the left where you're not looking. The button visually separates the version number from the updated date, so you won't "see" it unless you force your eye to look there for it. It's also a completely different color than all of the OTHER download information (blue versus yellow, gray and white). Put it with the updated date, make them the same text color, and simplify the work the visitor has to do to find out if this is an update to their version or not or to compare to Curse's version information. Download does not have to be that big, it's eye-catching yellow as is the button next to it.
12-20-10, 06:41 PM   #80
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by AmiYuy View Post
To you it saves time, and I guess in one way it does, however, that's in relation to the old system. In relation to the NEW system, I'm pretty sure he's talking about the combined info versus splitting it up some how. I haven't seen it in action, but I'd wager that say, a # | # | # layout could work fairly well as a compromise with the three split up for faster gaining of information on which gained an update.
Not sure what your talking about here. The old links he was talking about were on the community.php page, now they are moved to the navbar. Now you can access them from anywhere with 1 click (drop down doesnt require clicking unless your on an ipad/iphone) instead of always having to go back the community page to be alerted of updated favorites.

Originally Posted by AmiYuy View Post
I think you also missed the point on the pictures, you had the choice before of which pictures to click on to expand, so you could choose how many mouse clicks it took you. Stuffing them under one thumbnail and making us slideshow through them all takes away that choice.
Nope was just using his example in wanting to view all 5 pictures. If you want to see all of them its a lot less clicks using the lightbox. I totally see how it takes more time if you just want to see the 5th picture. I'm working on a better solution for that.

Its fine if the pages are lengthly but it bugs me when I have a 400 mile long right column and a short description in the main content area. I like things to match up most of the time or be close. Or have the content out length the right column.

Last edited by Dolby : 12-20-10 at 06:51 PM.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!