01-12-14, 12:55 PM   #1
Hopelez
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Hope UI

Figured I'd post this here too, in addition to having this up at WoWUIGallery.

So here goes... tell me what you think.

Addons used:

01-12-14, 04:11 PM   #2
humfras
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
While I like simple UIs like yours, I absolutely hate those pixelfonts

I'd prefer the range display closer to the center because it is much more relevant than the boss frames (which are pretty close to the center).

I suggest you filter the buff display at the upper right corner a bit.
E.g. only buffs with a duration > 5 minutes, a different raidbuff tracking etc.

Regarding the Memory usage display:
Get rid of it (e.g. remove that feature from the latency/fps AddOn you're using) because memory usage isn't as important as CPU usage (and using a display for unneeded information is unneeded cpu usage )

Last edited by humfras : 01-12-14 at 04:18 PM.
01-12-14, 04:15 PM   #3
Kkthnx
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Im a pixel font lover so I am really interested in this UI. Also I am loving just how it is setup. Everything is very clean simple and across the board the same as everything on the UI. See I think some people tend to use too many fonts and that tends to makes things look off imo. Anyways I hope to see more about this UI. Awesome Job!

Last edited by Kkthnx : 01-12-14 at 06:43 PM.
01-12-14, 07:03 PM   #4
Hopelez
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by humfras View Post
While I like simple UIs like yours, I absolutely hate those pixelfonts

I'd prefer the range display closer to the center because it is much more relevant than the boss frames (which are pretty close to the center).

I suggest you filter the buff display at the upper right corner a bit.
E.g. only buffs with a duration > 5 minutes, a different raidbuff tracking etc.

Regarding the Memory usage display:
Get rid of it (e.g. remove that feature from the latency/fps AddOn you're using) because memory usage isn't as important as CPU usage (and using a display for unneeded information is unneeded cpu usage )
Pixelfonts are a personal preference, I for one like them alot. They are a lot clearer, better looking and easier to read for me.

The range display is around the most important things to watch while in a bossfight (cooldowns, raid frames, etc.). I tend to see the range indicator alot more often than the bossframes tbh. Again personal preference.

Buff display is fine for my needs, I don't really keep track of it during combat, except a glance to check if something has procced (that's why I need the stuff with a short time there also). This is again something that I'm used to use. It takes me not more than a glance to see whether I'm missing any of the raidbuffs or not.

I know that the memeory usage is not imporant at all, since all addons use so little of the available amount, but I don't really mind having the info. CPU usage is just as irrelevant tbh, you can throw any addon at me and my CPU wont have any problems with it.

Thanks for the feedback anyways...

Originally Posted by Kkthnx View Post
Im a pixel font lover so I am really interested in this UI. Also I am loving just how it is setup. Everything is very clean simple and across the board the same as everything on the UI. See I think some people tend to use too many fonts and that tends to makes things look off imo. Anyways I hope to see more about this UI. Awesome Job!
Thanks for your kind words. And you will surely be seeing more of this at some point. I've got some changes at works.

Last edited by Hopelez : 01-12-14 at 07:07 PM.
01-12-14, 07:30 PM   #5
10leej
A Molten Giant

Only complaint I have is that the raid frames aren't center but then again that's because of personal preference. regardless great job imo
02-01-14, 12:41 PM   #6
Hopelez
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I made some small adjustments all around. Also made a semi-big unitframe remake.

02-02-14, 02:00 PM   #7
Phanx
Cat.

I don't mind the off-center unit frames, but many things in that bottom cluster -- the raid frames, the alternate power bar, the range checker -- seem haphazardly placed, with a huge amount of wasted space in between them.

Why are things closer to the sides of the screen than the tops and bottoms? It doesn't seem like enough of a difference in spacing to really be an intentional design decision, but it's enough to be noticable and distracting. It also seems like a lot more spacing than you really need.

There are also some other minor alignment issues: the (unnecessary) FPS/latency/memory display isn't lined up with the chat frame; the world state frame (top center) isn't lined up with the buffs/minimap; the boss frames seem very randomly placed; weapon buffs seem really far from other buffs for no reason.

Other than that, I'd say the combo points being on the far side of the target frame is wrong; they should be closer to the middle so you don't have to glance over there to see them. Those raid frames are way bigger than you need for a rogue (or any other DPS class). The text on your target (?) castbar is not aligned properly and is falling off the bottom of the bar; this doesn't seem intentional, as no text on any other bar is placed that way. That alt power bar just does not match at all; if you're using oUF, skinning it is trivial.

Finally, I see you've rebuffed many suggestions in this thread with what amounts to "well, I like it that way, so too bad!" If you're just using the UI for yourself, that's fine (though it still begs the question of why you would ask for feedback in the first place if you only care about your own personal preference) but if you're planning to release the UI for other people to use, you should have better reasons for why seemingly unnecessary/cluttery/oddly placed items are the way they are than "because I said so", which isn't even a reason at all.
02-02-14, 05:07 PM   #8
Hopelez
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Why are things closer to the sides of the screen than the tops and bottoms? It doesn't seem like enough of a difference in spacing to really be an intentional design decision, but it's enough to be noticable and distracting. It also seems like a lot more spacing than you really need.
I don't really think this is the case, or it would mean that my alignment addon is ****ed up

There are also some other minor alignment issues: the (unnecessary) FPS/latency/memory display isn't lined up with the chat frame; the world state frame (top center) isn't lined up with the buffs/minimap; the boss frames seem very randomly placed; weapon buffs seem really far from other buffs for no reason.
What would you move the world state frame with? I have never really noticed it, and really it would be nice to align it up! The boss frames indeed are just there for the moment, trying to find a good spot for them. Weapon buffs seem a bit far off from the buffs, but I have a 2nd buff row and debuffs there inbetween.

EDIT. Figured out how to move the world state frame with a few rows of code.

Other than that, I'd say the combo points being on the far side of the target frame is wrong; they should be closer to the middle so you don't have to glance over there to see them. Those raid frames are way bigger than you need for a rogue (or any other DPS class). The text on your target (?) castbar is not aligned properly and is falling off the bottom of the bar; this doesn't seem intentional, as no text on any other bar is placed that way. That alt power bar just does not match at all; if you're using oUF, skinning it is trivial.
I have no problem with seeing the combo points tbh.. also I only rarely play my rogue so I havn't really given it much thought. Raid frames are designed to suit my main (paladin) on whom I need to see alot of buffs/debuffs on the frames. That's also the reason for having them close to the middle instead of out in the side. Thanks for pointing out this stuff about my castbars, going to fix them up right away. I havn't really thought about the alt power bar, would be nice to skin it, sure, but I'm using stuf and it would require and extra addon... I'll see about that.

All in all thanks for this extensive feedback.

Last edited by Hopelez : 02-02-14 at 05:53 PM.
02-06-14, 06:30 AM   #9
qwee
A Murloc Raider

Could you post a list of the addons that are used in your UI?
I can see the picture of addon memory usage, but I couldn't find half of them on Curse/WoWInterface.

I'm trying to create something similar to yours. I really love the style of the whole UI.

If you could post/PM me with the list of used addons, that are available to find at Curse/WoWInterface, or even send me a copy of your WTF + Interface folder, that would be absolutely great!

Thank you.
02-06-14, 08:01 AM   #10
Hopelez
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by qwee View Post
Could you post a list of the addons that are used in your UI?
I can see the picture of addon memory usage, but I couldn't find half of them on Curse/WoWInterface.

I'm trying to create something similar to yours. I really love the style of the whole UI.

If you could post/PM me with the list of used addons, that are available to find at Curse/WoWInterface, or even send me a copy of your WTF + Interface folder, that would be absolutely great!

Thank you.
Will get back to you later today in a PM.
02-06-14, 01:14 PM   #11
Minerv
A Black Drake

Thumbs up

I like it, only thing i would probably change is the raidframes, make em smaller, by alot. Remove names and stuff on them and cramp em in some corner since you dont really need to see them as a DPS.

Oh, and align that datatext with the chat.

Last edited by Minerv : 02-06-14 at 01:18 PM.
02-06-14, 03:54 PM   #12
Hopelez
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Minerv View Post
I like it, only thing i would probably change is the raidframes, make em smaller, by alot. Remove names and stuff on them and cramp em in some corner since you dont really need to see them as a DPS.

Oh, and align that datatext with the chat.
Thanks! The data text has actually been aligned with the chat for a while now, fixed it just after posting the latest screenshot.

About the raidframes: I agree they are quite big and all, and would actually love to make them a bit smaller. Maybe I should make a 2nd profile for dps raidframes and keep these for healing. I still think raidframes are really important to see as atleast some dps classes. My main is a ret paladin and I play at HC level (12/14 at the moment). I really need the raidframes to throw out some fast instant heals/"hand-spells" and other stuff. This is the reason I keep the around the middle, and the size is needed so some buffs/debuffs I need to see can fit inside the frame. The names are also important so that you throw HoP to the right warlock for example. When I play on my rogue I totally see your point. I only play like lfr, maybe flex, on that char and there is no stuff to throw at the raid members.
02-28-15, 05:57 AM   #13
Hopelez
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Here's the latest iteration of Hope UI! Tell me what you think

02-28-15, 08:35 AM   #14
syncrow
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

imo the pixel font could be a bit bigger. It's hard to read @ some point like eye cancer.

And i feel that the scrolling combat text is super flashy. It would irritate me while paying attention to movement.

Last edited by syncrow : 02-28-15 at 08:37 AM.
08-04-16, 12:05 PM   #15
Hopelez
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Ayy! I'm back after having a full year off wow. I revived the UI for Legion, tell me what do you think!

Last edited by Hopelez : 08-04-16 at 12:15 PM.
08-04-16, 03:52 PM   #16
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Hopelez View Post
tell me what do you think!
I'd line up the power and buff displays with the unitframes, otherwise I think it's real nice.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » Hope UI