04-18-15, 03:02 AM   #1
Atwood
A Fallenroot Satyr

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Recount or Skada or Details! Damage Meters?

Hello, i have a Question for the Meters that i need to use to become a better Player!

My Question is which of these Meters are the best and why?

Which Addon is more Accurate?

Which Addon is better in use for the Performance?

Many Players are using Recount because it was the first Meter Addon on the Addon Market but it is the best Meter Addon?
04-18-15, 03:33 AM   #2
Thubz
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Atwood View Post
Hello, i have a Question for the Meters that i need to use to become a better Player!

My Question is which of these Meters are the best and why?

Which Addon is more Accurate?

Which Addon is better in use for the Performance?

Many Players are using Recount because it was the first Meter Addon on the Addon Market but it is the best Meter Addon?
for starter Recount whas not the first damage meter in warcraft that one whas simply called "Damage meter" so yea, and for what to pick wich u preffer Skada takes less memory to run Recount has more details wich ofc a good think but ofc also take bit more to run

Last edited by Thubz : 04-18-15 at 03:34 AM. Reason: cant type english.. >.>
04-18-15, 03:51 AM   #3
gmarco
An Onyxian Warder

I think this is a taste problem.

Everyone will prefer one or the other depending of personal taste and preferences because all the meters addons now will do more or less the the same thing.

I use one of them but I think I can find all the information I need also in all the others.

My suggestion is: experiment .
Load all the addons togehter and check them how they operate and display the info you want, then choose the one that fit better your needs.

My .2
04-18-15, 04:01 AM   #4
Atwood
A Fallenroot Satyr

It test it but the Results are very different from the DPS.
04-18-15, 08:25 AM   #5
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

A. It is difficult (not impossible just involved) to test performance (cpu consumption, rate of increasing memory consumption) between this type of addon.
All of them are modular and have a ton of options, in order to get comparative results you'd need to find a way to profile at "same" settings.
The other practical option is to measure performance impact for the default settings (what most people using addon x will have if they don't mess with settings).

B. All popular damage meters are accurate where it matters (total damage, healing etc).
They take different approaches on how stats are tallied for things that are under interpretation.
What is the "combat start" time? When my avatar or my pet starts to cast? When the first spell hits? When I enter combat? When my group enters combat? What is the "combat end" time?
Should all damage prevention be counted with absorbs? Should "last stand" type abilities be counted under healing? etc.

Several of these types of questions have no correct answer and different authors have different opinions.
This leads to different results for some categories of stats without anyone's math being wrong.
Since there is no "golden standard" on how to count DPS the only way to have comparable results is to use the same meter.

But all meters should show the same overall damage.
04-18-15, 08:49 AM   #6
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
It does not matter.
The addons are for making you better. As long as you use the data only to compare to your own previous data it does not matter the addons show different values.
It's important to understand that the addons are not suited to compare with others not even if they use the same addon.
04-18-15, 11:41 AM   #7
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Rilgamon said it the best.

As for which one you use, it's going to be a matter of personal preference. I use to use Recount, but found Skada to be more efficient for my tastes. My sweetie and I both use Skada, and nine times out of ten the info is close to the same. Even the morons in LFRs/5 mans who enjoy showing off their meters, I see Skada most times and the info is close to the same as ours.
04-18-15, 12:41 PM   #8
Mazzop
A Cliff Giant
cool kids use details! meter nowadays

online logs are better anyway imho, especially for OP purposes to improve self - can fast lookup other ppl with similar gear on given encounter and compare they performance to own numbers
04-18-15, 01:09 PM   #9
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Mazzop View Post
cool kids use details! meter nowadays

online logs are better anyway imho, especially for OP purposes to improve self - can fast lookup other ppl with similar gear on given encounter and compare they performance to own numbers
This. Live logging is the best DPS meter.

Skada has a problem with DPS going down if someone dies. I'm a fan of Details because you can change the way it calculates the dps/hps in the options and the Author is very active to update the Addon and implement new cool things.
04-18-15, 10:17 PM   #10
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I use TinyDPS.
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...0-TinyDPS.html
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Recount or Skada or Details! Damage Meters?