05-24-10, 10:56 AM   #1
Kendian
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Protocol

I'm pretty much a newb at UI 'maneuvering'. I call it that, because I'm in NO WAY any kind of code jockey. I cant tell Lua script from Lunar landings, lol. Anyhow, what is the protocol for uploading, showing, etc, a UI? I just modified the addons Ive downloaded here, to work how I want them to, for my own use, but Ive shown friends/guildies screenies, and they want it. SO do I get all the addon authors permission, do I need to be a premium member? I don't really get what the protocol is for compilations, or how to go about even uploading anything. Is there a place on WoWI that would tell me?
My thanks, in advance, for any help, and apologies, if I've been unclear, in any way. (My mind tends to wander at the oddest moments, lol)
05-24-10, 11:09 AM   #2
Chibi
A Cyclonian

If you mean "modified" as in set-up-in-game, you'll need to send your friends your saved variables, not the addons themselves (though obviously they'd need the addons installed to use the saved variables)

You can find your saved variables in the WoWDir/WTF/ACCOUNT/*Account name*/ folder, though depending on the addon it may either be saved per account (WoWDir/WTF/ACCOUNT/*Account name*/SavedVariables) or per character (WoWDir/WTF/ACCOUNT/*Account name*/*Server Name*/*Character Name*/SavedVariables)

You'll have to take the .lua file in there named after the addon, and have your friend put it into the same folder on their computer. (Under their account/server/character name, obviously)

If you mean modified as in opened-up-the-addon's-lua-file-and-changed-things then you'd need the addon author's permission to upload it here (and under some licences, to even modify it for personal use, though that's okay in most cases) Or depending on the addon's licence, you may be free to distribute it directly to your friends as long as you credit the original author.

Last edited by Chibi : 05-24-10 at 11:11 AM. Reason: hit post not preview, doh!
05-24-10, 11:42 AM   #3
Kendian
A Molten Giant

Modify

Ive changed the .Lua files( and removed bottom artwork) of oUFD3Orbs, Lynstats, Lynlocation, changed media location ( and the filepath in .Lua) for rbuffs.Shared Media Blizzard Ive edited out some things and added others, the rest of what I use are as follows: Baudbag, Basicchatmods, Bartender4, Evl nameplates, Fane, Freebtip, AI-Art, ChatBar, ChatSounds, LoadIT,MikScrollingBattleText ( added some custom media) oMirrorBars, Sexycooldown, TinyDPS, and Tipsy, none of which I've modified in anyway. Do I contact all those addon authors(I think Zork quit WoW) or is it marked on their addon download pages whether I can use them as long as I give them credit? Or do I send them all PM's? I'm sorry if Ive bombarded you with questions, just wanted to do this correctly the first time(which in itself would be a first, lol), if you can dig it. Is there a site to upload a screenshot, one thats trustable? My thanks for your speedy response, and putting up with all my noobishness~
05-24-10, 12:14 PM   #4
Kendian
A Molten Giant

Screenshot

Sorry actually LOOKED at the icons above where you post, saw I could show a screenie here~
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_052410_135736.jpg
Views:	830
Size:	737.1 KB
ID:	4310  
05-24-10, 12:32 PM   #5
Chibi
A Cyclonian

To upload them as a compilation you'd need to read each addon's licence and/or contact each author individually to make sure you're okay to use them in a compilation/provide a modified version. That's the tricky thing with compilations, since each addon can end up with different usage rules. Though I don't suspect you'll have any problems, addon authors are usually nice people
05-25-10, 12:40 PM   #6
Kendian
A Molten Giant

Approval

I went thru and got all of the addon authors approval to use their addons in my compilation upload. Soooo..... how do I go about it it? WHo do I contact? Where do I upload it to? Is zip format ok? Etc, ad hoc~
05-25-10, 12:46 PM   #7
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

In the AddOns section, upload it to the appropriate Compilation category.

Upload your WTF and AddOns folder into a .zip file. Make sure you remove your account-specific information from the WTF folder so you are not jeopardizing your privacy.

Other than that, you will just need to provide a screen shot or two as well as a description that will go on your compilation page.

Good luck!

P.S.: There is a great FAQ relating to this topic. Take a gander: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/f...r#faq_managing
05-25-10, 07:07 PM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
There's also this sticky thread in the "Tutorials & Other Helpful Info" forum:
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21175
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Protocol