08-25-08, 01:02 PM   #1
WeeBaby
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Outfitter vs ItemRack vs ClosetGnome

So I have been reading thru the various forums trying to figure out the best choice for a wardrobe switcher and don't seem to be any closer to an answer.... I am just looking for the simplest, easiest to use and set up. Any input is appreciated!

08-25-08, 01:22 PM   #2
Jzar
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Outfitter comes with everything you need all in one for outfit management, and it's real simple to figure out. It's my personal favorite. But you're not going to know which one is YOUR personal favorite until and unless you just install them, one at a time, and give them a whirl.
08-25-08, 02:03 PM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Jzar View Post
But you're not going to know which one is YOUR personal favorite until and unless you just install them, one at a time, and give them a whirl.
Yep. Because I like ItemRack. ItemRack also allows you to create a "rack" for quick gear changing (basically buttons on the screen for an equip slot with popouts of everything you can equip in that slot).
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-25-08, 02:15 PM   #4
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

Agreed. I personally like ItemRack because of the pop-out and it seems to be the easiest to configure.
08-25-08, 02:16 PM   #5
Slakah
A Molten Giant

Another one for Item Rack.
08-25-08, 02:25 PM   #6
littlebuddha79
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
I use Outfitter. I've never tried ItemRack, but outfitter has the same feature with the popouts on the Character screen to equip any item in your inventory to that slot, but what I really like is the automatic switching that can be set up (so every time you mount up, it automatically equips your carrot, your riding crop, and your boots with mithril spurs...and unequips them when you dismount) and the quick click changing an entire set of gear with the mimimap button menu. Just set up a set and give it a name, right click the minimap button and a list of all your sets will come up...just click the one you want to wear and viola.
08-25-08, 02:46 PM   #7
Tristanian
Andúril
Premium Member
Sign me up for ItemRack.
08-25-08, 04:46 PM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by littlebuddha79 View Post
I use Outfitter. I've never tried ItemRack, but outfitter has the same feature with the popouts on the Character screen to equip any item in your inventory to that slot, but what I really like is the automatic switching that can be set up (so every time you mount up, it automatically equips your carrot, your riding crop, and your boots with mithril spurs...and unequips them when you dismount) and the quick click changing an entire set of gear with the mimimap button menu. Just set up a set and give it a name, right click the minimap button and a list of all your sets will come up...just click the one you want to wear and viola.
ItemRack does all of these things, too. (what I was talking about was in addition to the character screen)

Something I liked from when I used to use Outfitter was that it has (or at least used to have) the ability to automatically set up sets to maximize certain stats. Like, if you wanted to set up a gear set for max stamina, Outfitter would look at each item and pick the ones with the most stamina on them for you.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-25-08, 09:37 PM   #9
Farook
A Molten Giant

+1 for Outfitter.

I've been using ClosetGnome in the past, but in the end I'm a bit more satisfied with Outfitter. I cann't comment on ItemRack, because I simply never used it.
08-25-08, 10:41 PM   #10
schnoggo
A Fallenroot Satyr

I'm in the Outfitter camp, but feature-wise ItemRack and Outfitter are nearly identical.
08-26-08, 02:51 AM   #11
Mera
Retired of WoW, In ESO :)

Premium Member
I'm fine with Outfitter
Mera[xeh]? - La CroisadeEcarlate (wow)
08-26-08, 06:53 AM   #12
Jesamyn
<This Space for Rent>

I'm an Outfitter user because I don't like the FuBar plugin for ItemRack - which of course is no real reflection on either addon. I like selecting text if I'm manually changing better than the popup buttons. As far as real functionality, they are close to identical, as others have said.

I've had some trouble with ClosetGnome not remembering to switch my stuff after combat when I've dismounted in combat. Otherwise, I'd recommend it as well.
08-26-08, 07:39 AM   #13
secutanudu
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Itemrack for me.
08-26-08, 07:45 AM   #14
VagrantEsha
Token Werewolf Fan

Premium Member
I use ClosetGnome, myself. I like the way it's coded, it's really as simple as that. I like reading code, and if I find that the code is laid out nicely and it looks like it'll be easy to maintain (which is good for future updates) then I'll probably end up using that mod myself. Such was the case with ClosetGnome. I've looked at ItemRack and Outfitter, but reading over the code they just didn't click with me like ClosetGnome did. I'm weird, I know.
08-26-08, 07:59 AM   #15
Honen
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I have been super impressed with Itemrack... especially since the original author has returned and rebuilt it.

But in fairness... I haven't tried the other options.
08-26-08, 09:44 AM   #16
VgerAN
A Cyclonian

I'm an Outfitter devotee. It's super-easy to configure and has every option I want—multiple full armor sets, smaller "accessory" sets, the ability to bank and withdraw unique items, and a really simple UI for setting it all up.
08-26-08, 10:57 AM   #17
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
Closetgnome.

I like oxhorn's movies and I like punting them.
08-26-08, 11:39 AM   #18
Tristanian
Andúril
Premium Member
This thread is turning into a Zerg, Protoss, Humans kind of thingy. Matter of opinion at the end of the day
08-26-08, 01:02 PM   #19
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Rabbit season!

Ive used them all, and ended up going back to itemrack simply because i was most familiar with it (old dog new tricks sort of thing) and it was the first i had used. But as stated by a few, its all personal preference.

Download each and try them out for a few days. Then go from there. The number of things they are capable of really cant be experienced in a few minutes. Run an instance with each and some BG's if thats your thing. The full test run so to speak.

That should give you a solid feel for the one that suits you best.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
08-26-08, 01:51 PM   #20
VagrantEsha
Token Werewolf Fan

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Tristanian View Post
This thread is turning into a Zerg, Protoss, Humans kind of thingy. Matter of opinion at the end of the day
Indeed, but I wasn't expecting anything else.

People love to share their opinions, whether it's Firefox versus Internet Explorer versus Flock versus Safari versus Konquerer or whether it's This Mod versus That Mod versus Some Other Mod.

At the end of the day, all one can hope is that some unique point from one particular opinion or another can shed some insight. I think it'd be good if people went into detail as to what they like about their favourites, and what they feel is lacking in other mods. Not as an argument, but simply to demonstrate what they enjoy. The authors of the mods in question might get something out of that, and people looking for something specific may see just the kind of thing they were hoping to, and they'd know which mod to start with.

/shrug

At the end of the day, it's all good fun!

Also: Firefox

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Outfitter vs ItemRack vs ClosetGnome