09-01-10, 02:14 PM   #1
sacrife
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Alza's(?) Aero Addon.

I've seen this mentioned in some threads, also seen it at youtube and such, however I can't find it on this site, nor google?

Is there a reason for this to be hidden? Or if not, Can someone point me in the right direction to find it?

09-01-10, 02:16 PM   #2
Dawn
A Molten Giant

*BADLY wants a copy of it, too*

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

09-01-10, 02:36 PM   #3
xConStruct
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Wow, that was a hard one to find. Did a google search, found on page 3 a russian website and google translate revealed a link to another russian topic where the code was posted

The post is here:
http://forum.worldofwarcraft.ru/show...91#post3070191

Untested though, so I don't know if it works or what version it is.

EDIT: That was strange when I saw that I am credited in the addon oO never heard of it before.

Oh hai!
09-01-10, 03:35 PM   #4
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
I was a bit reluctant to share the link (got it from kamii in the first place) because it was never 'properly' uploaded and I don't know if Alza actually wants it to be commonly used. I figured he might not want people asking him for updates etc.
09-01-10, 03:38 PM   #5
Dawn
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Cargor View Post
Wow, that was a hard one to find. Did a google search, found on page 3 a russian website and google translate revealed a link to another russian topic where the code was posted

The post is here:

EDIT: That was strange when I saw that I am credited in the addon oO never heard of it before.
Great find! I failed @google search ... found a Russian site, too. But stopped there. I guess my Russian needs to be polished up a bit. *cough*

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

09-02-10, 12:57 PM   #6
Porsha
A Black Drake
DAMMIT I want to know what they're talking about =(

Anyways - what exactly does this addon do? I'm curious but not yet wanting to load it cause I don't understand it lol

thanks
09-02-10, 01:29 PM   #7
Miralen
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

I would read the toc that is in the download it has a basic description of it to kind of give you an idea, I dont remember what exactly it says myself.

- Winston Churchill
09-02-10, 01:39 PM   #8
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
It adds animations to frames, here's a preview of me messing about with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRG4mrFi8RM&hd=1

I tried it on Cataclysm beta and it still works though it's spewing out errors, I'll see if I can fix that, but probably not with my weak lua skills.
09-02-10, 01:43 PM   #9
sacrife
An Onyxian Warder

It's slightly annoying that it uses it's setpoint location as a reference to where it scales. I want them all to spawn from it's center point like the escape-menu.

Also, I need someone with cata beta to take up the challenge and skin the rest of the frames like you have with the interface/escape menu :P
Consistency is guuud.

09-02-10, 01:54 PM   #10
Porsha
A Black Drake
Oh wow...thats sexy! Thanks and I'll be watching for updates!
09-02-10, 03:55 PM   #11
kneeki
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Haleth View Post
It adds animations to frames, here's a preview of me messing about with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRG4mrFi8RM&hd=1

I tried it on Cataclysm beta and it still works though it's spewing out errors, I'll see if I can fix that, but probably not with my weak lua skills.
Are you the author of freeUI? If so, how did you possibly do it with your 'weak skills'? =P

edit:
If you scroll down, someone copy/pastes the code for the Aero .toc, lua, and Frames.lua. Creating an addon with those files works just great to use the Aero effect. Works really well on Cataclysm as well!

Last edited by kneeki : 09-02-10 at 04:26 PM.
09-03-10, 12:24 AM   #12
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

<snip>
What is also strange is that I can't seem to find this "VisualFX" that you're credited with writing.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
09-03-10, 02:57 AM   #13
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Indeed the only addon I know that does the same thing is VisualThemes and it's not made by Cargor. Maybe ALZA confused the two?
09-03-10, 04:22 AM   #14
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

It gets annoying after a while.
09-03-10, 04:25 AM   #15
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
Originally Posted by kneeki View Post
Are you the author of freeUI? If so, how did you possibly do it with your 'weak skills'? =P
Aero is a lot more complex than the lua I use.
09-03-10, 04:43 AM   #16
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Haleth View Post
Aero is a lot more complex than the lua I use.
I couldn't get my head around Aero either. Also, your UI is fantastic and I've realized this when making my UI, so now I have a lot of your code in my addons!
09-03-10, 05:16 AM   #17
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Wimpface View Post
It gets annoying after a while.
Nah, after a while you'll get so used to it that you won't know it's there anymore.
09-03-10, 08:18 AM   #18
xConStruct
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
What is also strange is that I can't seem to find this "VisualFX" that you're credited with writing.
Originally Posted by haylie View Post
Indeed the only addon I know that does the same thing is VisualThemes and it's not made by Cargor. Maybe ALZA confused the two?
VisualFx was an addon I've written for a friend back in TBC, who wanted a more simple/lua-only variant of VisualThemes. I never released it or used it personally - it was just lying around on my SVN (which is down since I migrated to GitHub). I guess, Alza found it and made an even more "lightweight" addon out of it, hard-coding the animations and removing my LibFx-1.0.

Oh hai!

Last edited by xConStruct : 09-03-10 at 08:22 AM.
09-03-10, 09:58 AM   #19
Monolit
A Black Drake

The post is here:

I also remember that VisualFX add-on I got from your old SVN in one of the branches.
Experimented with it for quite a while before I got bored of constantly flying in/out frames :]
Hooking a function (especially for frames with allot of elements with different parent frames) might be a real pain in ass in Aero, so it's not really user friendly and would cause craploads of questions and requests.
We've actually seen 1 great example of what could happen few years ago: oSkin which with the enthusiasm of wowace community quickly became an abomination that iirc haste himself asked to rename into something else thus Skinner was born.

So that could be the reason why in some cases authors prefer to keep their work out of the public.

P.S. And you guys should really start learning Russian as we do have quite some stuff to read there

Last edited by Monolit : 09-03-10 at 10:00 AM.
09-03-10, 04:18 PM   #20
kneeki
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I've actually started using Aero, AI-Art, my addon (Pandorum) and Bartender4 on Cata, They all go together really well with a darkish theme... Aero is like, icing on the cake though. I LOVE IT!

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Alza's(?) Aero Addon.